Portable Launch Monitors

It’s a great little workhorse!

Does anyone know if Rapsodo plans to be Android compatible anytime soon?

Just read your article on range ball performance and on-course trackers like Game Golf. Seems like if you really want to know how far you hit the golf balls you actually play with on courses you actually play, an outdoor personal launch monitor doesn’t do you a whole lot of good, unless of course your range is stocked with mint ProV1s!

I bought the SC200+ bundle from Practical Golf after reading Jon’s review (thanks Jon!). I could not be more pleased.

I chose it over the SC300 because I thought it would be more durable while carrying it in my golf bag.

Practical Golf’s offer price was the best price I could find on the monitor anywhere by far. It came days before the expected delivery date (very fast shipping) and it was packaged very securely.

Its ease of use and its accuracy have truly surprised me!

How did I ever practice before without one of these monitors?

I would definitely recommend the SC200+ to members of this forum interested in improving their games.

2 Likes

I think the biggest thing I’d use portable monitor for would be wedges. How accurate are they with hitting different wedge shots (opening up face for higher shots vs. closing down and punching, etc)?

It is extremely accurate even down to the short “7:30” pitch shots Dave Pelz teaches in his short game book.

Glad you’re enjoying it, I think it’s one of the best values in the industry!

1 Like

I found a great deal on a used sc300 and I have really enjoyed it. My weakness has always been gapping my clubs because I’ve never really known my exact distance. Really began seeing improvement since using it. Occasionally it misses my shot but for the money I really can’t complain. If making the decision to buy or not, I would definitely buy. I really wanted to try to rapsodo monitor but without knowing much about the indoor capabilities I went with the sc300.

2 Likes

I have an sc200 that I had to tear apart at one point because the Doppler sensors came loose and stopped giving me distances but it’s been super useful to me. I broke the speaker during the surgery but didn’t find the audible distances all that useful anyway.

I recently picked up a rapsodo MLM on eBay and like it for the video, gps spread of balls, capturing sessions on the phone etc which is pretty cool but I hope they continue to evolve the app. I wish it would either allow you to export the data or give you things like std deviation and trends. Its data handling is a little limited and it does eat up my phone battery pretty quickly.

All in all, for the value the sc200 what I’d recommend to a friend unless stat tracking is important (which it was for me). The best thing about the sc200/sc300 is that you can just flip a switch not fiddle with your phone and the remote is actually super handy to switch between clubs. I like hitting driver/iron/wedge repeating during practice sessions and switching between clubs each shot with the rapsodo is exhausting.

I do look forward to the day that skytrak/ mevo+ level data is at a $500 or below price point – that would be ideal and I think it is just a matter of time before the prices come down.

3 Likes

After reading your Review the last time jon, this is the one i got, the PRGR. Will be trying it out for the first time this weekend. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

I actually have both, I upgraded to the 300 because it worked much better with partial wedges and I can work on them in my basement. Both are awesome but for any sort of flighted shot the 300 is much more accurate.

1 Like

Sc300 is very accurate 200 struggled a bit on partial wedges. That’s by far the best use for these products!

2 Likes

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Rhapsodo MLM. My club has a mini range, essentially a 100 yard enclosed hitting cage, that should give enough ball flight to give me accurate numbers. I really wanted the data on my phone and built in swing recordings should be good to in order to help me pair technique with results.

1 Like

I am a budget concious golfer (as if there is a thing) and recently started SuperSpeedGolf training and wanted a launch monitor that would measure club head speed without having to hit a golf ball. I have owned the SC200 monitor for a year and am happy with it but it does not measure club head speed without hitting a ball. Not wanting to pay full price for the PRGR, I did some digging and found the PRGR “red eyes”. Bought it from eBay and I am pumped about it. It does exactly what I need it to while also offerring ball speed and carry data as well. The major draw back is this model does not display in imperial units (miles per hour) only metric. So if you don’t mind converting m/s to mph its a great option.

2 Likes

I am considering am I launch launch monitor for the winter instead of just hitting into a net. I have limited space in my garage. The skytrak is really what I want so I can see lateral movement of the ball but it’s not going to happen this year. With these other recommendations I am seeing here how much do pulls and pushes effect the carry distance? I can tell if I pushed or pulled one but not usually how far. Do they cut down the carry distance if you do? Or am I expecting too much from a sub $500 launch monitor?

I suspect you are going to have problems if you want it to help determine push or pulls. It’s possible if you know your swing well to use something like the rapsodo to both measure ball speed and record your swing to infer it by watching your swing afterwards but I don’t think a $500 device will figure it all out for you.

1 Like

Kinda figured that it’s not really what I want. I am probably going to gold out for the skytrak. Maybe next year. Haha. Been saying that a while

Jon be prepared for lots of PRGR questions now that I’m researching it a lot :slight_smile:

what was your experience with wedges (full/half) in your testing? seeing some reviews online where the monitor isn’t picking up lofted clubs well. Don’t know if this is a set up issue or if it does struggle with this. Some seem to recommend adding a tripod to elevate the unit, but really hard to tell if that’s the issue.

Have you had experience in different weather conditions? Since it’s reading ball speed off the club, I’d think it’ll pick up the impact of colder weather/hot weather on the ball speed coming off the club. Certainly won’t pick up impact of wind/elevation/etc.

If you don’t have answers, I guess I’m going to be setting myself up for an informal review on here.

2 Likes

I think based on your launch angle, and whether or not you’re using indoors/outdoors, you’ll have to experiment with the height/distance of the unit to get the best wedge readings. Personally, I haven’t had many issues because I launch it lower. But my suspicion is those that launch it higher than normal - the sensor could “miss” those, which is why you might need to position the unit higher.

It’s measuring the initial ball flight so I’m not sure how much weather will play a factor. I suspect if it’s extremely cold that could potentially lower your ball speed/distance.

I’m very excited to annoy the crap out of everybody with results/questions about the SC300.