Portable Launch Monitors

I borrowed a friend’s SC200 and liked. Very basic. Has anyone compared it to the SC300 & are the additions features worth the $?

Really the only additional feature is the app integration. Do you want to see the results on your phone and be able to more easily access and study the data off the range, then the SC300 really is needed. If you are just interested in the numbers at the moment, then the 200 will give you essentially the same info.

The SC300 is a great product, and it does create a bit of a dilemma between the two. Here is my summary of the differences

I bought the PRGR from some guy’s website…it had “practical” in the name… Seriously though, I really like it, especially for measuring clubhead speed.

3 Likes

The PRGR is the sleeper hit of the year! Honestly, when I first tested it I was not expecting much. It really surprised me, which is why these things keep selling out. Also, when used together with SuperSpeed Golf you can track your swing speed without hitting a ball. Great value. As I tell everyone with the budget launch monitors, you can’t expect perfection, but if used properly they can be good practice companions.

Here is my review, and the offer for Practical Golf readers.

https://pgoffers.samcart.com/products/prgr-launch-monitor

4 Likes

I’m starting Super Speed this Fall. I’m also wanting to outfit my garage with a Skytrak. Do I need something like a PRGR for the SuperSpeed stuff? Or will skytrak do it all?

SkyTrak will not measure your swing speed directly, it only measures what the ball is doing. So you can’t use SuperSpeed with SkyTrak to get your swing speed readings. That’s where the PRGR is useful, you can use it separately, or in conjunction with SkyTrak to get a better idea of how fast your club is moving when you hit balls or just swinging the SS sticks.

Thanks for pointing out this review. I’ve been tempted by the budget monitors but haven’t gone all in yet.
Wondering how much change there will be with technology/cost in a year or two. $200 is a good price point but I think I may hold off until $200 gets you a lot more (hopefully).

1 Like

I’m fairly involved with many of the companies in this category. There’s always going to be something new, but I would say the product life cycle for these products is going to be somewhere around 3-5 years.
This category is absolutely exploding, so you will see some innovations coming down the line. I just don’t think it will happen at lightning speed. There are a lot of supply chain issues because of Covid - for example, SkyTrak is back ordered for 10-12 weeks and the PRGRs have been really hard to come by from Japan.

1 Like

Thanks - very good insight. Know more and more reasonably priced options keep popping up so I’m wondering if the cycle may speed up to keep up with the competition.

Anyone have experience with a Mevo+? I’m considering getting one but am worried that the numbers won’t be accurate enough to make actual improvement with distance /shot shape control.

Here is my review on the Mevo+

I think it’s a solid product, but I didn’t love it compared to some of its competition

Important distinction: The Mevo is about $500 and mostly gives you ball speed, launch angle, and distance. The Mevo+ is $2,000 and gives the same data as SkyTrak (including shot shape, plus it does some club data that SkyTrak doesn’t). The decision between Mevo+ and SkyTrak tends to be whether you intend to use it primarily inside or out; the SkyTrak is better for indoor use and the Mevo+ for outdoor, because of their differing technologies for measuring ball data.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was just about to point out that distinction. I planned on using it both indoors and outdoors, but was curious if it was worth it.

1 Like

I found the Mevo+ to struggle a lot indoors. If you want a lower cost model that works indoors I would look towards the Swing Caddie models, or the Rapsodo MLM, which is adding more iOS devices to its net capabilities.

By far and away the best indoor solution is SkyTrak though.

2 Likes

Thanks Jon. Great info.

1 Like

Has anyone reviewed the new Net indoor capabilities of the Rapsodo MLM? Seems like it could be a great value if accuracy is similar to using it at the range.

1 Like

I tried it out when it was in beta mode and was really impressed. The team over there was very careful not to release it until they felt they had it right.

I’m still waiting on the next update which will support an iPhone SE (what I have). So when I get a chance to test it against my SkyTrak I will update my review.

That would be great! I will look forward to reading.

1 Like

I was another golfer who bought the PRGR launch monitor from this website (but only after doing a lot of research and comparison shopping). I have been very happy with this little jewel. I believe that it’s accurate and gives me the feedback I’m most interested in (swing speed, ball speed, carry distance and total distance). It’s inexpensive and reliable. I would recommend it.

1 Like