Playing with less than positive partners

There is someone at my course who yells loudly when he hits a bad shot. As soon as you hear the ruckus you know who it is. When I play with him I just accept that that is who he is and try and concentrate on my own game. Also I have to be mindful to not get too down on myself when things aren’t going well

2 Likes

Sounds familiar. I regularly play with a fella who’s off 14 and if he doesn’t make par or hit a green in reg he’s swearing and saying he’s going to give up, throwing balls away, slamming clubs. You name it. Madness. I’ve learnt to just tune out to it now but you can see that if a new guy joins our group they often find it a long and mentally draining round. I’ve suggested he buy and read the Zen book of golf. I doubt he will.

2 Likes

It’s sad to watch, and to be honest I’ve been there before. One thing we do have to consider is that we don’t know what’s really going on inside that person’s head. It could be issues that are totally unrelated to golf. Either way, it’s not fun for everyone else to be around a golfer who behaves like that - it’s a shared experience and we have to respect each other’s time.

4 Likes

If I’m honest, I think I could be less than positive when I first started playing golf in my teens. I was really keen on the game and just wanted to be as good as I could be. Unrealistic expectations, self-inflicted pressure, teenage levels of testosterone and a massive slice are an unstable combo! :sweat_smile:

I’m 42 now and have only recently returned to regular play, having just kept my hand in for the last decade or two (maybe 3-4 rounds a year). I’m playing better than I ever have - purely because I appreciate the time on the course more than ever. I can shrug off a couple of bad holes and get straight back to making a run of pars. It’s really noticeable how the right attitude sets up better play - it’s a virtuous circle that feels great to be in.

An early read for me in this second golf life was ‘Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect’ (recommended on this very site!) and I found it so helpful. Perhaps an early Xmas gift for the OP’s friend…

5 Likes

one of the best golf books ever written!

1 Like

The18th at Mt Osmond GC has OB down the right hand side and trees down the left. I was on my own and came off the 17th to find 2 guys on the 18th tee. One hit his ball OB then threw his driver into the air in disgust. It hit an overhanging branch above the tee and snapped. I joined them and then heard a story about a club being stuck up high in a tree at another club. Moral is don’t throw your clubs!

3 Likes

Realizing it is “okay” to choose not to play golf with grumpy, negative people. I agree, the ongoing grumbling this player is spewing is distracting and just kind of pathetic. 2 types of golfers: “get it” & “don’t get it.”

1 Like

Appropriately named show! I did get a laugh, loved the guy who calmly re-teed Sideways - and would not at all be surprised at his reaction.

1 Like

Watching it I am laughing, being the guy teeing off I’d be like seriously!!??

1 Like

There was a time in my life when I first took up the game where I resembled the jerk most people describe in this thread. It was hard to take a look in the mirror and honestly assess oneself. Luckily, I’ve played with a lot of good players and a number of better habits have rubbed off on me. I wouldn’t be too quick to give up on anyone, but at the same time, you have to be willing to cut ties if someone can’t or won’t change, especially if they’ve received constructive criticism.

These days I’m glad I play with a rotating group of guys who adhere to a single non-negotiable rule - respect your playing companions and the game.

5 Likes

That’s a pretty good rule to play by!

2 Likes

Probably a minority opinion, but I often find such negativity to be funny and/or endearing. Tyrell Hatton and his antics come to mind.

1 Like

It can be tough to cut ties with people for sure. Especially friends or even family. I wouldnt ever fully cut ties with family but I would stop playing golf with them at this point. You bring up a good point also that their habits and persona can rub off on you in both good and bad situations. I grew up playing with my step dad that was a great influence on me in general, but after a while I noticed his golf habits were not. I never got the push and confidence like I hear from some dads on this forum. You probably know who you are. I always felt like there were the great kid golfers and there was me trying to catch up. Kind of hard to explain… I guess it is support more than anything.

I try to make a point to support my kids and be that positive influence. I have spoken about my son who has taken golf lessons but really likes baseball more right now. I want him to know that if the work is put in, he has every chance as anyone else to achieve the goals he wants. Become a Professional baseball player, hit his driver 200 yards, get a hole in one, win a tournament and to not worry about the other people. Don’t compare yourself to them.

I got off on a tangent subject but it all comes down to being positive to the people around you because there is way too much negativity and jealousy in the world.

4 Likes