Playing at golf instead of working at golf

LOL, this reminded me of the personal computer in the earlier years, before the windows and the “mouse” was introduced.
After gone through the first few classes of learning how to input “command”, I threw up my hands and gave up. Simply cause more hassle to use the system then just write it down on my notebook.
Also, I have a guy who had the laser range finder then later with GPS and then with the wrist GPS range finder… he is an 18-20 index holder , on a good day !
But he is stubborn of getting the toys he wants, so be it, as long as he is happy. Over burden by something won’t help his game.
I had told him many times to find help to stretch and exercise his body… I guess it’ll be too much work; however, he get to the driving range rain or shine whenever he is not on the golf course.

1 Like

My comment was not about the technology aspect - if I wasn’t obsessing on the Skytrak I’d be doing it at the range. But yes, some people get fixated on their Trackman numbers instead of learning how to score better.

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with the chase for perfection. At least that is the goal.
No one ever achieved perfection in golf, maybe in a moment or two but that’s why we’re all striving for.
Chasing the goal and being fixated are two very different thing. One could achieve near perfection on the indoor fitting and/or on the driving range; but failed to bring that to the golf course.
That, my friend, will be left for you to find out. As everyone interpreted their personal experience a little differently.
The “chase” is part of the fun with this game. An endless journey.
I fully understand a lot of us feel much comfortable if they have something, some numerical data to make sense for their thinking; and it’s fine. We all need a piece of confidence on the golf course.

1 Like

Golf is a game for a lifetime, it’s great exercise of the mind and body if you walk and can play this game a bit by honing a swing that can propel the ball we use forward… towards an intended target usually some 400+ yards away that is 4 inches around. LOL Boy, Robin Williams was right, it’s pretty ridiculous. That said, I have been reviewing what, in my humble opinion, high & mid cappers should be working on to get better and feel better about their games. Although loons like me, track stuff, my feeling is we are tracking the wrong stuff to get better. Some of these systems are amazing, but they all seem to be built for guys that are already there, flirting with breaking 75 every round. Better players measure their games on ability to Drive the ball far and straight, I get that. But most of us cannot. 300yd drives are just not in most peoples wheel house, as a matter of fact 275 yd drives aren’t either. You work on that last, not first when you are playing a round. Here’s my top 5 most important things for most of us to pay attention to if you really want to get better in terms of scoring…If you want to do long drive competitions with yourself, well that’s what the driving range is made for…

#1) Track how many balls I kept in play off the tee. If you can’t keep it in play, you cant score period.

#2) GIR and within 25 yd GIR. If you cant get your approaches close to the intended target and I’m talking a 50 yd circle… you might want to work on that aspect of your game.

#3) Chip or Pitch on the green in 2 on a par 3 / in 3 on a par 4 / in 4 on a par 5. So set that goal. You gotta get it on the green and then track if you can get that 25yd shot within a 40 ft circle. (lots of circles in this game!)

#4) Eliminate the 3 Jack from 40 ft on in. You’re just not that good of a putter, neither are the pros. They only can 40% of 10ft putts… if that’s them, what is your expectation of you? Just don’t 3 putt.

#5) Recovery from a hazard or bad shot. Learn to take your medicine, get the ball back in play. I tracked my greenside bunker play this year. I got up and down 96.3% of the time out of 108 attempts. Up and down in 3, not 2. (My expectation of myself is 3. Don’t get me wrong I got up and down in 2 or less several times also—that’s a bonus. My expectation is not to blow up)

Put the correct expectation on your game it will be more fun, it will be a little more cerebral, hopefully you enjoy the walk… Ah SG off the BOX in distance… well I leave that to the pros, as I get more consistent in keeping it in play, distance will eventually come into play… Then it becomes how far can I hit the ball of the tee to keep it in play so I can work on #2 with the easier to hit clubs so I’m hitting 8iron from 150 instead of 5iron from 175. Hope that makes sense, something to think about for sure. If you’re a really good single digit capper… pay this no mind… it’s not meant for you!

4 Likes

Yep love it ^

Aspiring mid-handicapper here and your 5 keys there are what I’m working on in my own game.

Tee shots still a big weakness for me, but I do understand the priority of get-it-in-play (vs going for distance … and therefore trouble … helloo trees :rofl:).

#2 and #3, and #5 relatedly, are all key for me … especially since I get into trouble too often off the tee I need to make a “smart” recovery shot (without getting greedy) and get the ball near to the green where I can give myself a good chance to finish in possibly 2 but hopefully no worse than 3.

3 putts - been working on distance control a lot, and have had several rounds with 1 or even no(!) 3 putts. But yesterday was a horrible hopefully isolated aberration where I lost the feel for BOTH speed and line… (…crazee stoopit game… :crazy_face:)

3 Likes