Playing at golf instead of working at golf

Also apps can let you move the strokes gained benchmark to different levels of golfer. For example I always keep mine at a 9 handicap because becoming a single digit handicap is my goal, so it lets me measure my game against an average 9. (This is with the Arccos app)

1 Like

As I always say, my biggest swing issue is between my ears.

I played yesterday purposely without any swing thoughts. Boy howdy did I hit some stinkers… So the only thing I thought about ( instead of nothing), after the worst drive of my life, was finishing my swing. Things improved greatly after that, until I got my cart stuck in the mud. :roll_eyes:

It was a lot more relaxing after I stopped counting strokes or keeping score.

3 Likes

Had a lesson several years ago, which was relatively early on in my golfing, and I well remember something the pro told me then…

“We practice golf swing on the range … while we play the game of golf on the course.”

Now, yes, I want to improve my technical ball striking skills and want to hit the ball “better” each time I go out, BUT … on the course I try to make my primary objective = hitting the ball towards my target…

…ie. I try to pick a conservative target within my current capabilities, factor in wind and other conditions, and then hit the ball.

The game is ultimately all about “how many” and really nothing about “how” …

5 Likes

That is exactly how I approach it. I may tweak, practice, grind, whatever during the week however when Tee Time comes it is just golf and enjoy the day.

2 Likes

There’s a good buddy of mine, who I had a chance to get out on the course with recently, who kinda epitomizes the over-thinking/over-working approach…

…most noticeably when he steps in for his shot: he’s one of those that stands there - rock still over the ball - running through whatever checklist is in his head…

He also insists on…
… keeping his score (I use a ShotScope) while getting mad at himself after each hole for a high score;
… keeping his phone on (he’s a chiropractor and says he doesn’t want to miss client calls);
… using a GPS app on his phone which has problems syncing to his Apple watch so he’s constantly fiddling with both gadgets (I’m gonna lend him an extra gps watch for the round);
etc.

You get the picture - a lot of stuff other then just playing golf… (…and afterwards he tells me how nicely he was hitting at the range just the day before).

Next time we’re out together I’m gonna … at tactfully as I can … get him to turn off the phone, put away the apple watch and … try to get him to (1) visualize/plan his shot before stepping in and (2) also before stepping in do one then two rehearsal swings of what will be his swing for his shot and then step in and let it go.

:crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Worse ways to spend a day, eh?

2 Likes

A little more from my chair, I like playing the game (not as MUCH as I used to), especially when the weather is nice and I can enjoy walking either 27 or 36 without a soaking wet shirt. (So I usually bring an extra towel and a shirt change). When I was working early last year on swing mechanics, and hitting alot of balls, once everything was able to feel grooved and I could implement on the course, I was scoring in the 70’s. When I stopped, and was arriving at the course with minimal warm-up, my scores shot up by 5-7, which to me shows me that proper warm-up and working at golf like I would normally do makes a huge difference in scoring. AND when I score well and I hit my shots like I envision, I am much less apt to slam a club and utter a curse word…lots more FUN to play. In my youth, when I was playing every day, my scoring was very low consistently and other than choosing a club, I did very little thinking, just executing. The hardest thing to accept as a person in their 60’s, (Langer is a beast) is I don’t hit it as far, I dont putt or chip as well and, no matter what you do, the youth game is a different game than where I’m at. So, all there is left is to try and enjoy, understand, in general, I’m still a pretty good player in my age group and if I want to improve, put in a little work so I can repeat more consistently what I’d like to execute! So yea KENK way worse ways to spend a day…like weeding the gardens UGH!

2 Likes

I don’t practice. At least not the way most do. Before most rounds (once a week in winter) I do 20 mins chipping/pitching because I really enjoy that. Never use the putting green or driving nets. Started this approach after lockdown and have become far more consistent a player because I am not messing with stuff. I average mid 80’s, don’t have and worries playing with anyone else as my game is solid enough to not be embarrassed.

Now, I do want to improve, so I set myself little goals each round (last one was around swing speed for irons, I’d gotten lazy) but more than improving I want to have fun. To be perfectly honest if my HCI remains 20 then so be it. If it drops to 16 awesome. But most importantly I am spending time in lovely places with great people.

4 Likes

The most important thing, really.

Your comment on not embarrassing yourself really rings with me. I’ve been struggling with constantly topping the ball and this game just isn’t any fun if you can’t get the ball in the air. Divot Board work, and trying to make my practice more like actually playing, has helped a lot. But it has been bad in the past, like—walk off the course RFN, bad. People offering cringing, well-meaning help, bad. At least I’m unconsciously consistent…

Anyway, I think it’s gotten better, but I won’t lie and say it isn’t in the back of my head when making a tee time. Only way to beat it is to get back at it though.

2 Likes

Shotscope show this by Handicap groups so I can see where I am weak compared to the next step up. Don’t do much about it mind you but its nice to know

1 Like

Recently had a round where, due to wet weather, was almost entirely on temporary greens (which aren’t greens at all, just a hole in a bit of fairway). So scoring became irrelevant. My playing partner beat his previous best by 10 strokes. Some of it may be that the holes were 20-30 yards shorter but a lot was down to just being relaxed and under no pressure. (I also shot my joint best score of the year). If only we could have the same attitude when it does count!

1 Like

Crazy, how much pressure we place upon ourselves, for what I’m sure is a leisure activity for nearly everyone here. I believe it though.

I am trying to follow the ethos of the OP, by playful experimentation and seeing what happens. Move the ball back, what did that do? I liked that feeling! What caused it? Was it this? That? That. O.K… and so on.

Got my brightly colored headband on—my GF/soon-to-be fiancee loves my hair longer, and I hate it in my eyes. I don’t want the easy excuse for making a bad shot. So, headbands. “Sweaty Betty”'s are great, with room in the back to pull longer hair through. Absorbent, too. Which is a concern here.

Point is, I’m trying to positively cultivate a bit of the indifference to others’ view of my performance, a la Jayne and his hat from Firefly. If I know already I’m not going to impress anyone, I can stop being concerned about the reaction of other people to my learning process. (I’m not deliberately trying to bother people at all.)

Helps when I start digging little straight hemispherical ditches, directly towards the target. I guess I took that Adam Young ‘hammer a nail into the golf ball’ image too literally, and decided hammering down and forward was the way to go. LOL.

2 Likes

Here is what I learned and go by with this game.

Changing any of the fundamentals, grip , posture, ball position, swing path… is, for the practice tee. Driving range is where one tune-up these changes.

On the golf course, you should have only one goal, which is to get the golf ball in the bottom of the cup in as few strokes as possible. Scoring should be your only concern.
When your mind is set on scoring, you would automatically make the correct club selection for the shot and manage the golf course in a way to get the lowest score for
“you”. Because who will know your game better than you ?

Focus on scoring alone on the golf course will bring the joy ( or the frustration) back into your game. Never try to fix a swing issue on the golf course. Use what you have that day, that moment and finish with the best possible score.

1 Like

^Yes!

Was able to get a lesson a few seasons ago with a HoF instructor - one of the first things he said to me, and which (I hope!) I’ll always remember, is …

“We practice our golf swing;
… we play the game of golf.”

2 Likes

Riffing off of that quote, I’ve found that a really fun way to have play in your practice was to practice at a place with TopTracer. Tried it for the first time yesterday, and other than hitting it over the back net with both a 5 and a 6 iron (and getting chastised by the machine for doing so), I had a blast. Recommended.

Just pick a facility with adequate room, I guess. 150 yards and 80-90(?) foot nets ain’t enough.

1 Like

Back when I took lessons, we did not have ranking for the instructors, no internet, and we’re still using notebook to take notes.
My instructor back then has an Irish/Scottish last name ( Yes, I looked it up ) and people around him called him Mandrake the Magician, cause those played with him witness his shot making and the ability to get out of trouble with imagination.
Don, if you’re still around, those lessons last me a life time. Although at the time I was puzzled and displeased because instead of watching me hitting balls after balls and give me some pointers ( supposedly, from a rookie’s point of view who just spend his weekly pay for the series of lessons, felt not getting the money’s worth at the time ). All the conversation between my shots were dismissed as small talk; and now I understand just how valuable those “small talk” are.
Every sentence he made all makes sense years down the road.
Although at the time I did not realize, his teaching was from a higher level to let me understand the game instead of just correcting on my swing path and such. I was able to think for myself down the road because of him.
Yeah, one usually not realizing how lucky one was until much later.

1 Like

On your comments on instruction, I saw this at reddit today, and though it was two years old, I still thought it hilariously apt:

TL;DR - Taking golf lessons is like deciding to get treatment for your alcoholism or addiction. Once you’ve tried everything yourself and are at rock bottom, you seek professional help. Golftec lessons are like going to AA.

To which I’ll add: (judging by Golftec’s pricing), like AA if the cigarettes and coffee cost 50 bucks each. Though cigs are taxed enough these days, 50 bucks may be a bargain…

1 Like

I’ve been using my Skytrak all winter, and lately I’ve noticed myself getting sucked back into this perfectionist rabbit hole again. I’ll normally just use the virtual range for a warmup, then play a round on the sim, but I’ve found myself spending more time on the range lately, and it’s like I don’t want to quit until I see 10 balls in a row with perfect ball flight. I need to quit doing that. Play more, practice less!

3 Likes

For the generations which grew up with the technology advancement in the last 3 decades or so, very difficult to disassociate their life with the technology.
Often times we forgot that, the technology is supposed to assist and to enhance our life, not running our life.

Give a couple of prominent examples. Analog Clock, so many could not tell time by looking at the analog clock, I guess they’ll never wear a Rolex.
Many are depending on the GPS alone, for their road trip. They forgot how to use common sense, you now, the general rules pf the Sun and the 4 major directions associated with the big orange ball in the sky.
They forgot to read the road sign with their eyes to make lane change before the GPS tells them to do so.
Same as golf. With the advancement of the technology, some will believe the technology will actually swing the golf club for them and there is an easy way to improve upon this game.
Ask any one of the top 1% professionals and you’ll get the correct answer. The marriage of human and the tools dep[ending on both parts to work in harmony. Out of the two, the human trumps over the tool for the importance of how we perform.
Look at all the top ranked professionals these days, each and everyone of them are fit, strong and younger. No more beer belly, cigar puffing traditional image of the golfers.
Want a good golf game ? First, get fit physically, then know how to apply the physical ability, then refine the tools to deliver.
Don’t get me wrong, everyone could enjoy this game, the one of the two which we don’t need to be good to enjoy.

1 Like

True that. Have a really good friend with whom I’d like to golf more often … not only is scheduling with him difficult but when we get to the course, and at points during the round, he spends way more time futzing with his Apple watch vs just “being in the game”…

2 Likes