Pause at the Top of the Backswing?

I’ve been experimenting with something similar on the other end of the spectrum which is pausing for 5’ -8’ putts. I have a pretty heavy putter that essentially could putt itself with the momentum the head would generate and at least on my indoor putting mat, I’ve been pretty deadly at knocking them straight in. I expect with a little pressure on the line it might not go so well but on paper, it’s an interesting concept.

1 Like

It’s a consistent swing for me though from full swing to putting. I definitely try to pause on the putting to help with the feel of a release

It seems to me that it has to slow down club head speed vs a dynamic transition.

1 Like

It definitely SEEMS like it should, however if I think about it, the change of direction means that the club head is starting at 0mph regardless and a poor transition might cost more speed at impact. If/when I get a little launch monitor I’ll test it out.

1 Like

Yes but typically as your arms finish going back your hips are already starting to turn forward, creating tension. With a full stop that tension wouldn’t be there. But what do I know.

I recently read something about this! The overall theory seems to be that the dynamic transition creates muscle tension and will increase chs… whether or not it does for most people is a different question.

If you are trying to max speed, I think you need to keep moving.

2 Likes

Probably the case and also may provide some of the theory behind Hovland’s double pump - trying to create more tension possibly.

I guess when you have enough speed like Hideki, losing a little bit due to the pause to have proper path/contact is worth the trade off of distance for consistency

I have a tendency to get too “quick” in my swing, so – while not a deliberate pause at the top … have tried it in practice and doesn’t seem like the right solution for me – I will try to even out my entire swing to a more measured pace.

I also practice with the Orange Whip and Tour Tempo tones … really helpful, imo!

4 Likes

I have definitely noticed a difference in my overall swing with using the tour tempo beats and orange whip. I use it daily during my workout routine and in between sets I swing 20 times, for a total of 60 swings a day. What I have noticed is, there is no reason to try and be fast. If I stay on tempo, I will be fast. The old saying smooth is fast. It’s been such a huge sigh of relief because prior to doing this drill, I would swing it back relatively slow, trying to control the club, which of course leads to a huge “pull downward” to get the club started, causing early extension, and hands moving toward the ball, resulting in hosel rockets. No more!!!

4 Likes

At times I feel like I will swing better making a pause at the top, but it’s not something that comes naturally to me. Sometimes the pause seems to trigger me overcocking and even regripping the club which leads to all sorts of bad things. I have always had a quick tempo and I think trying to be too smooth or pausing is fighting my natural tendencies too much. Being quick is probably ok as long as I’m not too quick.

1 Like

I struggle with the same thing! I’ve tried this and it’s too hard for me to sync up. Actually one of the things that has really helped just recently is counting to 4 during my swing. I count 1-2-3 on the backswing and then 4 on the through swing. I don’t start my downswing until I finish saying 3. This seems to ensure I finish my backswing completely before I start my downswing.

One thing that I had to figure out was what was the right tempo to count 1-4 for me. It was slower than I thought it would be! Luckily I do dabble in music so it’s fairly easy for me to get that tempo in my head and maintain that count once I get it locked in.

3 Likes

I have a bit of a pause with cutoff follow through (ala Fleetwood)and feel this hinders me as I don’t feel I’m getting full rotation.

It works for me and is consistent but I feel I’m leaving so much on the table.

Has anyone worked on increasing rotation on backswing? Did it add speed?

I think that a longer backswing by itself wouldn’t increase speed, it would have to be in coordination with a lot of other things. That’s where systems like @SuperSpeedGolf could help getting the body synced up and working together.

2 Likes

I have the sticks but never go full bore on the course…maybe need to trust it and add that extra swing. Cheers

2 Likes

I have the opposite problem!

One of the things I’m currently working on, with an instructor, is my irons - and actually knowing when to limit / stop the backswing and not over-rotate back. This puts me in a better position at the top … and am able to deliver the club to the ball on a better path … which leads to better contact … which leads to a “stronger” (and further) ball flight.

So as with all things golf be careful what you look to change!

3 Likes

I’m similar. I overextend at the top, leading to the complicated transition.

1 Like

Jon,
What would you think about the Lag Shot versus the Orange Whip for this purpose? Also, what’s a good cue that you have truly completed your backswing? That is my major challenge.
David

Same here. My “max” backswing with irons is barely above shoulder height. Anything more and I pull myself out of posture and all hell breaks loose. I also have, as I sense, a pause at top (such as it is) of backswing. It allows me to gather myself so that I can gradually but noticeably accelerate through impact.

1 Like

It’s hard to say if one is better than the other. I think certain players can benefit w/ the Orange Whip since they don’t have the context of hitting the ball and vice versa for Lag Shot. As for the cue, if you have completed your backswing, I think that can be personal. For me, I like to feel that the club is “floating” for a brief moment in time.

2 Likes

Jon, I figure you’re the guy to ask: what are you supposed to do with the Orange Whip? The reason I’m asking, is, I was messing around with it in Golf Galaxy, and the thing kind of forces you to pause at the top to let the end of the Whip catch up.

Or are you supposed to ignore that feeling, and just drive down like normal with your downswing? Or (as I suspect is likely), am I supposed to have my backswing go a lot faster, wherein the Whip will also be going a lot faster, and I won’t have to wait so long for it to load?