Pause at the Top of the Backswing?

So I am very much a swing tinkerer. Some core concepts of my swing stay the same (mostly bad ones unfortunately!), but I’m always fiddling with little details. One issue that pops up for me is a really chaotic transition from the backswing to the downswing, losing control of the clubhead up there and then having to make a bunch of compensating moves to try to get it somewhat successfully to the ball. So today I was doing some practice in my net and was doing a “pause” drill, basically stopping at the top of the backswing to check myself before swinging through. I have a decent feel of what a good top position is for me, so I don’t need to take my eye off the ball to check anything, just pause for the feel and turn the hips through, letting everything else follow. Was connecting with the ball really well during this drill, so that got me thinking, should I try pausing at the top out on the course? Seems to work pretty well for Hideki Matsuyama:

This is another one of those thoughts that won’t go anywhere besides reminding me I should do this drill more, but what do you all think? Any pausers out there?

2 Likes

Definitely not, but I have messed around with Hovland’s cocking the gun move at the top for a little extra. Surprisingly decent results.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of this because of repeatability. Hideki has even shorted has pause considerably. I think a player at his level can get away with it (hard to argue with his results), but for us “mortals” I just don’t see it as a viable route to take.

However, perhaps doing some exaggeration during your practice sessions can help smooth out your transition while you play. I have somewhat of a “violent” transition and using the orange whip intermittently and working with tempo beats has helped. Just my $0.02

3 Likes

Would be interesting to know what hideki “feels” at top of his swing. Does he feel it being as long as it is when watching?

I like to “feel” a pause to avoid getting quick and makes me feel like I’m finishing backswing, but know it’s not as visibly long as his.

1 Like

When I’m doing it as a drill, it feels much longer to me than it actually is on video, but might be one of those things different for everybody.

I’m sure. Wondering what his feel is. Does he do it longer in practice?

I’ve been experimenting with something similar on the other end of the spectrum which is pausing for 5’ -8’ putts. I have a pretty heavy putter that essentially could putt itself with the momentum the head would generate and at least on my indoor putting mat, I’ve been pretty deadly at knocking them straight in. I expect with a little pressure on the line it might not go so well but on paper, it’s an interesting concept.

1 Like

It’s a consistent swing for me though from full swing to putting. I definitely try to pause on the putting to help with the feel of a release

It seems to me that it has to slow down club head speed vs a dynamic transition.

1 Like

It definitely SEEMS like it should, however if I think about it, the change of direction means that the club head is starting at 0mph regardless and a poor transition might cost more speed at impact. If/when I get a little launch monitor I’ll test it out.

1 Like

Yes but typically as your arms finish going back your hips are already starting to turn forward, creating tension. With a full stop that tension wouldn’t be there. But what do I know.

I recently read something about this! The overall theory seems to be that the dynamic transition creates muscle tension and will increase chs… whether or not it does for most people is a different question.

If you are trying to max speed, I think you need to keep moving.

2 Likes

Probably the case and also may provide some of the theory behind Hovland’s double pump - trying to create more tension possibly.

I guess when you have enough speed like Hideki, losing a little bit due to the pause to have proper path/contact is worth the trade off of distance for consistency

I have a tendency to get too “quick” in my swing, so – while not a deliberate pause at the top … have tried it in practice and doesn’t seem like the right solution for me – I will try to even out my entire swing to a more measured pace.

I also practice with the Orange Whip and Tour Tempo tones … really helpful, imo!

4 Likes

I have definitely noticed a difference in my overall swing with using the tour tempo beats and orange whip. I use it daily during my workout routine and in between sets I swing 20 times, for a total of 60 swings a day. What I have noticed is, there is no reason to try and be fast. If I stay on tempo, I will be fast. The old saying smooth is fast. It’s been such a huge sigh of relief because prior to doing this drill, I would swing it back relatively slow, trying to control the club, which of course leads to a huge “pull downward” to get the club started, causing early extension, and hands moving toward the ball, resulting in hosel rockets. No more!!!

4 Likes

At times I feel like I will swing better making a pause at the top, but it’s not something that comes naturally to me. Sometimes the pause seems to trigger me overcocking and even regripping the club which leads to all sorts of bad things. I have always had a quick tempo and I think trying to be too smooth or pausing is fighting my natural tendencies too much. Being quick is probably ok as long as I’m not too quick.

1 Like

I struggle with the same thing! I’ve tried this and it’s too hard for me to sync up. Actually one of the things that has really helped just recently is counting to 4 during my swing. I count 1-2-3 on the backswing and then 4 on the through swing. I don’t start my downswing until I finish saying 3. This seems to ensure I finish my backswing completely before I start my downswing.

One thing that I had to figure out was what was the right tempo to count 1-4 for me. It was slower than I thought it would be! Luckily I do dabble in music so it’s fairly easy for me to get that tempo in my head and maintain that count once I get it locked in.

3 Likes

I have a bit of a pause with cutoff follow through (ala Fleetwood)and feel this hinders me as I don’t feel I’m getting full rotation.

It works for me and is consistent but I feel I’m leaving so much on the table.

Has anyone worked on increasing rotation on backswing? Did it add speed?

I think that a longer backswing by itself wouldn’t increase speed, it would have to be in coordination with a lot of other things. That’s where systems like @SuperSpeedGolf could help getting the body synced up and working together.

2 Likes

I have the sticks but never go full bore on the course…maybe need to trust it and add that extra swing. Cheers

2 Likes