Pause at the Top of the Backswing?

I have the opposite problem!

One of the things I’m currently working on, with an instructor, is my irons - and actually knowing when to limit / stop the backswing and not over-rotate back. This puts me in a better position at the top … and am able to deliver the club to the ball on a better path … which leads to better contact … which leads to a “stronger” (and further) ball flight.

So as with all things golf be careful what you look to change!

3 Likes

I’m similar. I overextend at the top, leading to the complicated transition.

1 Like

Jon,
What would you think about the Lag Shot versus the Orange Whip for this purpose? Also, what’s a good cue that you have truly completed your backswing? That is my major challenge.
David

Same here. My “max” backswing with irons is barely above shoulder height. Anything more and I pull myself out of posture and all hell breaks loose. I also have, as I sense, a pause at top (such as it is) of backswing. It allows me to gather myself so that I can gradually but noticeably accelerate through impact.

1 Like

It’s hard to say if one is better than the other. I think certain players can benefit w/ the Orange Whip since they don’t have the context of hitting the ball and vice versa for Lag Shot. As for the cue, if you have completed your backswing, I think that can be personal. For me, I like to feel that the club is “floating” for a brief moment in time.

2 Likes

Jon, I figure you’re the guy to ask: what are you supposed to do with the Orange Whip? The reason I’m asking, is, I was messing around with it in Golf Galaxy, and the thing kind of forces you to pause at the top to let the end of the Whip catch up.

Or are you supposed to ignore that feeling, and just drive down like normal with your downswing? Or (as I suspect is likely), am I supposed to have my backswing go a lot faster, wherein the Whip will also be going a lot faster, and I won’t have to wait so long for it to load?

Yes, there should be a slight pause. If you are using it “incorrectly” you’ll feel it start to make some bizarre movements and throw you off balance. You can also take a look at some of the videos they’ve posted to see how it works. You can increase speed, but if you get too out of sync, you’ll start to feel it.