New Year 2021 goals

Loved the Taylor made burner! I was looking for a cheap 12 degree driver and they had one with a bubble shaft! I didn’t buy it, but I should have. It wasn’t 12 degree or what I was looking for at all, but the nostalgia was there.

Just remember, it’s not just speed… you can maximize distance by finding optimal launch… have you done anything about your angle of attack?

Nothing yet, I’m just recording myself. I found a str8 on vid of maria fassi that has been really helping me with positions right now. I am trying to work on shallowing like her, elbow to hip and turning the hip and elbow to the target, straitening the right arm past impact (release) like a side arm pitcher, tilting the right shoulder and staying behind the ball. I cannot do it fast mostly at 60% speed, but 30 reps a nite with a 2lb driver. It’s actually hard work. But I have jumped up alot in 6 weeks. My instinct tells me the rest will be very tiny increments. I am a 6 hdcp, but our course is only 6200yds and precision is paramount. It’s when I get on 6500-6600yd courses, I struggle, I don’t want to struggle anymore. https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=460344398102867&_rdr

1 Like

If it works for you, great! I’m not much of a technical swing guy… I’m a grip it and rip it fan.

I don’t know if you have seen the speed sticks, but they can be a good resource for speed gains… but obviously what you are doing is working!

Keep it up and hopefully the extra yardage will help on the longer courses.

1 Like

Thanks…I’ll keep it posted as the summer goes if it ever gets here. I like the website…What’s ure 20? NJ here.

1 Like

I’m in Louisville, ky.

Craigers! I went online and found the SS Sticks, more importantly, the exercise regimen. I did a 20 minute workout using the regimen with a 3w shaft, a 4 iron and a SW (all different weights), then hit a few balls…I went from 92mph prior to the workout to 97mph after the workout and got my SF up to 1.46. So thanks for the suggestion, I was going about the exercise all wrong. You don’t want to see my LH swing though…UGLY!

3 Likes

Glad to hear!

Keep grinding with them… hopefully you get to a distance / speed you are happy with.

1 Like

Wanted to resurface this thread with golf season in full swing (you bet I went there) have anyone’s goals changed/updated?

I located my 2020 tracking scorecard for my “par every hole” goal, and noted that I made birdies on 8 of our 27 holes. So an updated goal of mine is to birdie 14 of them!

4 Likes

This goal remains the same… I’m three full rounds into the season and haven’t broken 80, but I’m confident I"m going to have some good rounds in the low 70s this season…

Shot a 38 on the back with some interesting mistakes I hope not to make again… got up and down for birdie twice on the par 5s, though… so I guess I can’t complain about luck!

Still just getting comfortable hitting the ball! I hadn’t swung full since August…

Mavrik I won here is great (though it got an upgraded shaft)

4 Likes

Half way through the year and (touch wood) I’m on track with all of these.

Getting lessons resulted in better striking, who knew. Still a work in progress but nice to see some improvement in a very short period of time. My club head speed is also up because I’ve been getting to the gym.

Turns out I was terrible at putting as well - a bit of application and practice there is paying dividends as well.

Since I’m relatively new to the game, I’d never actually considered things like shot patterns and where to aim so I’d wholeheartedly recommend DECADE to anyone who is interested in learning more about that stuff and fixing your putting as well.

I have so far stuck with one ball as well. I have absolutely no idea if this is helping but it can’t be hurting!

So far so good - unless life intervenes I’d expect to be well into single digits by the end of the year so I’m going to shoot for a 5 and see how I go.

Here’s what I would tell myself if I could go back in time to when I started playing:

1. good coaches will improve your swing faster than you will by yourself.
  2. forget the speed sticks if you aren’t already in the gym
  3. if you don’t already know the DECADE stuff and you shoot 85-90 you will drop 5 shots without doing anything else
  4. your clubs aren’t the problem

How’s everyone else doing?

7 Likes

Congrats on your season so far that’s awesome!

I’m crushing my par every hole game this year, nearly done and it’s early June. The birdies haven’t been falling yet, only 2 holes down but I also got off to a slow start with the driver and that kinda took my out of a lot of real scoring opportunities. It’s gonna kick up now I think!

2 Likes

Well, an update on these so far.

• Lose 65lbs - about 80 to go…
  • Gain 10mph swing speed - not sure, but I am hitting it further. Had a lesson that has definitely upped my distances (sometimes to my detriment), but I’m keeping up with people where I was well behind last year
  • 170s ball speed - no clue, don’t have a launch monitor set up
  • shoot under 70 - my golf this year has been either on courses I don’t know, Bethpage Black from the blues or I’ve been very rusty. Shooting under 70 hasn’t been realistic yet
  • I did however shoot 73 on the right day at Garden City Country Club, which qualified me for the Ike at the Bridge on Monday. Course is pretty wide open, fairways are enormous, but if you miss them, you’re done, retee it. Seriously like a 20% chance of finding it and if you do it’s not likely to be playable, so if you’re more than 2 clubs from the edge, you’re going back anyway. Will be interesting to see the scoring. Also means I qualify for the Met Mid-Am, which is at Friar’s Head this year - very excited. Next qualifier is for the Met Am at @jon’s place. Before that I also have the Hebron, which is two rounds at Bethpage. Two years ago they gave us the Thursday and Friday pin positions they used for the PGA. That was brutal. Should be fun though.
5 Likes

Finally slayed my “par every hole” goal, had the #1 handicap hole on the course left and finally got a GIR and two putted to close the book on that game for 2021.

I’m up on birdies from the last June post, having birdied 9 of the 27 holes at my club. I’ve actually had a great birdie year for me, unfortunately it’s all been on the same holes! Still have a few I think I can pick off to try and reach my goal of 13 by the end of October. My golf season has a hard end date this year, having bunion surgery on 10/22 so that I’ll be fully recovered well before the 2022 season.

6 Likes

Well- life intervened and combined with COVID made life slightly more difficult golf wise. Made it to single digits which is nice but probably won’t see any further improvement over the remainder of the year. I would also say I’m in the worst shape of my life so some improvements still to come from that hopefully.

Single length irons worked a treat but every man and his dog has an opinion on them when I play. I will say that the only people who consistently could care less about my clubs are people with very low handicaps- funny that!

Pretty pleased all things considered.

6 Likes