New Year 2021 goals

It’s a New Year. With that said I have the same goals, in my five year window to goal attainment (Champions Tour)! With that said, something my golf coach said to me resonated well: it’s a new year, you’re even par. It’s all about perspective. What are your goals for 2021? Starting with a clean card, only you can change your game, your attitude, or both. Good luck let’s go have fun.

4 Likes

Champions Tour? That’s ambitious. What kind of player are you now?

Yup, it’s very ambitious! I started playing golf 3 1/2 years ago, I’m playing off a 9. I have five years until I’m eligible. I’ve never set a goal that I haven’t been able to attain. People will tell me it’s crazy and impossible. However, they don’t know me and my work ethic. I have the time and the drive. I will make it.

5 Likes

Well, you have to get as good as guys who are on tour and were born in 1975 like Tiger Woods. I suppose anything is possible. Try to qualify for the US Senior Open. Also a very ambitious one but marginally more reasonable.

Good luck, it would be an amazing story if you can do it. I’d love to see it.

2 Likes

I went from a 9 handicap down to 6 in 2020, mainly due to more time to practice and play because everything else was limited due to Covid.
Goal for 2021 is to maintain the ball-striking gains I’ve made (with potentially less practice tme), and to improve my putting.

4 Likes

Keep an eye out for my name, you’ll see it, I promise.

1 Like

I admire the confidence. Gotta have it if you are to have any chance at all. What is your tournament history and going forward plan? You need to get about 15 shots better and in a competitive setting.

1 Like

I’ve been playing tournament golf for two years. Started with Golf Channel AM tour switched to Golf Week AM tour last year. First tournament of the year is in two weeks. I have a long way to go. But as you said, I believe in myself. I didn’t believe in myself until about two months ago. I thought I did but something changed in me and now I truly know what it means to believe in oneself.

2 Likes

If you plan on playing on the senior tour, you should be winning those events easily pretty soon. And, you should move on to winning major state events soon and finding yourself going deep in major national am events as well.

2 Likes

That’s the plan. My goal is at two years out I’m in the Champ Flight and winning regularly. I put a lot of time in, and I’m kind of lucky. Had my kids when I was young, they’re both grown and on their own. I fly helicopters for an Air Ambulance company. Week long shifts followed by a week off. During my week on, I get the opportunity to work on mechanics and fitness in the hangar during my day shifts and I walk 18 during my night shifts, usually three days in a row. Carry my clubs, no push cart to build endurance and focus. During my week off, I play 5 days straight and go to the gym for strength and conditioning. Usually an 8 hour day, spend the other two days resting and recovering. I have all of the tools in place. I have the drive. I have the attitude. I spent a career in the Army, so I’m mentally tough. And I figure if I can learn how to fly a helicopter, I should be able to learn how to golf. Although different, it breaks down to mental ability and the time you put into it. I know it’s isn’t going to be easy, but life has challenged me since I was born! This is just another hurdle, and it’s one I’ve created for me. It’s the first thing I’ve done in my life for myself. I appreciate the input and encouragement.

3 Likes

I don’t think you understand how big the jump is from the Golfweek Am tour to professional golf at any level let alone PGA tour level. I think if you were able to compete in your state amateur in five years, that would be an incredible accomplishment. Trying to play high level professional golf is going to be nearly impossible.

And, even if you get good enough, getting on the senior tour is nearly impossible if you didn’t win on the PGA Tour. Everything about it is set up for notable people graduating from the PGA tour.

I’m aware of the jump and what it will take. Lots of money, lots of time, lots of dedication.

2 Likes

Serious question - aside from being a high profile guy graduating from the PGA tour, how does one get a card for the Champions tour? Do they have a q-school or web.com equivalent? I’ve heard it’s almost harder than getting on the regular tour.

They have a Q school. You can also try and Monday Qualify, which would prove pretty tough, since you’d be trying to compete against guys that have or had status.

1 Like

With that said, it only takes once and a top 10 finish. Is it hard, yes. Is it impossible, no. It’s a mindset at some point. When you can consistently go low, the rest of it boils down to mentality. There are plenty of stories in all sports where someone said something was impossible and someone proved that them wrong. I’m that guy. I hear it all of the time. Do you know how hard it is? Do you realize they have the least amount of slots? Do you realize you’d be an outsider and not part of the club? Do you realize those guys have been playing all of their lives, what makes you think you can do what they did in 9 years?! I’ve heard it all. I’ll hear it all. It just motivates me more to show people it’s possible and to show people that if they dream big enough and want hard enough, they can accomplish it. It’s the old saying, if it were easy everyone would do it! I’m not everyone, that’s why I’m going to do it.

4 Likes

Can’t deny your motivation and determination. Best of luck to you. Just make sure to appreciate those interim goals, like winning an amateur event. Most people never accomplish that and it would be a great achievement.

4 Likes

Thank you brother. I will enjoy them. Have won two and it’s a great feeling. Lost one in a scorecard playoff. Lost one on the last two holes by making mistakes. I’ve learned from every single event. Also I’ve learned, I’m not competing against the field, I’m competing against the course and myself. That had changed my outlook a lot!

3 Likes

There is a Q school which has two stages both are 72 holes. The top five in finals get a card and the next seven get conditional status. And, there are Monday qualifiers but those are brutal too. A guy coming off the street has to go through a pre-qualifier to get into the Monday. Bottom line is that random guys are not making it on the Senior Tour.

1 Like