New Year 2021 goals

You seem to know yourself and understand your goal… hopefully the forum can help support you as you improve at golf… I’ve found it to be a great place for positive feedback and actionable suggestions.

I’ll help however I can!

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. This forum is great! Most of the people are super knowledgeable and encouraging. I’ve learned so much in the short amount of time it’s been up.

Thank you, I really appreciate it, I will hold you to that.

6 Likes

Similar. Lose 20lbs. Only 28 to go!

4 Likes

Haha… I’m right there with you… I also have a Boston butt smoking on the grill right now… and am about to start paying a nutritionist.

I’m not smart.

2 Likes

Replying to put my goals down somewhere. I’m currently a 14, and I’ll be looking to get into single digits by the end of the year with a long term aim of getting to 5.

This is the first year where I’ve ever intended to actually practice - I’m hoping to get better from 50m in and figure out how to not take two penalty shots a round off the tee.

I’ll also be trying to get my swing speed to 120ish (currently ~110) and later in the year I will start looking to take some lessons (for the first time) - I’d love to have an expected shape with a driver.

I’m 99% sure I’ll move to single length irons to reduce some variables (current clubs are second hand), and I’m going to try to play one ball all year.

Good luck all!

6 Likes

14 to 9 is doable… I’d highly recommend talking to a fitter / coach / swing instructor before moving to single length irons.

If you have access to a launch monitor, I’d suggest getting on it and figuring out why your ball is going in different directions. Adam Young explains it, but it’s something that is easier to see to believe.

I’d also suggest checking out some of the stuff here on practice and making sure you are doing more than just block drills (constant repetition). Lots of great advice on different drills!

3 Likes

Good luck with your restaurant…

2 Likes

The first Champions Tour Monday qualifier is coming up and here’s the list of guys entered so far. Several PGA tour winners who are not exempt and have to Monday in. It is extremely hard to get into a Champions event let alone earn exemption into the tour.

3 Likes

“People aren’t born brilliant. Some of us have a slower processing speed; others have higher. At the end of the day, if you want to be brilliant, you have to work for it.

Unless you’re accustomed to hard work, it’s never fun. You’ll miss out on some popular experiences in life, but the trade-off is worth it. Do it right. Live a life that everyone wants to live – one that too few are willing to seek.

Don’t expect support from your friends. Maybe they’ll get it; maybe they won’t. They’ll tell you not to bother.

They’ll give you reasons that you shouldn’t do it. Secretly, you know they simply don’t believe in you.
Ignore them. Don’t talk to them. Don’t allow them to pull you away and make you lose your focus. These people are the worst individuals to have in your life.

They’re the ones who anchor you to an existence you don’t want to be a part of. The only reason they’re telling you that your goals are “impossible” is that they don’t have the guts to do what you’re doing. In a way, they’re right; it is impossible. But only for them.”

Paul Hudson

3 Likes

How’s your 2021 tournament season going so far?

It’s going just fine. I’m right where I need to be.

You won a PGA Tour event?

Bro, you have serious issues. Good day sir! I’m five years out from worrying about that. Take care, and enjoy being miserable. I think it’s hilarious you’re still thinking about this, I forgot all about you until I got an email alert that your responded to this post, particularly me. You won’t occupy space in my mind, but you will be one of the many to motivate me. Funny thing is, I’m motivated enough without people like you, I will do what others like you believe to be impossible, you can mark my words! My drive, desire, work ethic, and overall motivation to succeed are more than most can imagine. I’ve never not made a goal that I’ve set for myself in my life, and this will be no different. You know nothing about me, who I am, and what I’ve done or overcome in my life. Therefore, your opinion is like that of a gnat, annoying at best. I don’t need to prove myself to you, only myself but I can’t wait for you to wallow in your miserly when you see me holding a trophy at the end of a tournament. I’ve envisioned it, it’s been done, I can guarantee it! Now Barry, in case you didn’t or don’t know by now, this forum was created for positive people, I don’t think you belong.

2 Likes

First, I didn’t respond to you but that’s neither there nor there.

There is a difference between being positive and being delusional. I wouldn’t care about your delusions except for the fact that this is so disrespectful of thousands of guys out there who have put in decades of work and will not make it. You are going to compete against people playing high level professional golf RIGHT NOW and you can barely break 100. You are never, ever going to narrow the gap between them and you enough to make this goal even remotely feasible. It’s not going to happen. I would be stunned if you got down to a scratch handicap by then and, if you did, you are still nowhere even close.

Look at Scott Fawcett (the DECADE guy) - he’s around your age and is shooting to make the Champions Tour in 5 years and he’s a long shot. Why would you think you can do it when he will struggle? He’s pretty transparent about his game and scores. Take a look and compare to yourself and explain how you are going get past him. It’s ridiculous.

I don’t think the two of you can have a productive conversation on this topic… the good news is trying to make the Champion’s Tour isn’t going to hurt anyone, and it will be very easy to measure success in a few years.

I think there is something to be said about setting huge goals and working to achieve them… People have managed insane feats by grinding through everything and putting in the work daily to succeed… I also think there is value in managing expectations and understanding what we are capable of. Both have a place in the world, but we need to pick out own routes forward…

In terms of my 2021 goals, I’m down 10 lbs thus far, and still building better eating habits… survived a week in my mom’s house without drinking (she’s a crazy person) so the year is off to a good start!

9 Likes

Thanks my Man, I appreciate it!!! I agree with you! Keep getting fit and take care of that back.

2 Likes

Bruce Lee quote - A Goal

3 Likes

Love it!!!
You’ve already “won” … now just keep working on getting better and better…

2 Likes

I’m always happy to see a Bruce Lee quote…

As for me, I got in some quality time on the golf course yesterday (Kudos to you, golf cart my mother in law bought us for Christmas) and my back doesn’t hurt today… Took some 3/4 swings with the new driver (it was nice! Ball flight was low, but my swing speed was down). I’m really excited about this season of golf… While it’s silly to set a goal for a single round, I really want to shoot par or better this season… I guess the “actionable” part of that goal is to have multiple good rounds where I’m making smart decisions and then let the putts fall and go low… basically achieve a par round by shooting a number of rounds near par.

2 Likes

I have a question, I’m 62, I am playing an sldr driver 9.75 is the loft I set it at. I recently purchased the PRGR and began screwing around with it, I have been slowly but surely adjusting my swing by practicing positions to gain distance. 6 weeks ago I was SS: 75-78mph, BS: 120-123mph, SF: 1.32-1,35, D: 190yd. In 6 weeks, I have improved consistently to SS: 94-96mph, BS:134-138mph, SF: 1.43, D: 240-248yd. I am going to continue working as my seasonal goal this year will be 100mphSS and SF: 1.48, D of 250yd. I am hoping to get there. My question: is that improvement decent for a senior golfer and does that sound like a reasonable goal for a senior amateur golfer. In my 20’s and 30’s with the old Taylor Burner I could hit that 250=260 no problem with SS of 108. Amazing what age does to you and then falling into poor habits.

4 Likes