Maybe it's just me

I was really enjoying this site, the content was a nice change from golfwrx, sandtrap, reddit, etc. But it seems like as the user base grows, the content is going downhill.

For example, there’s a thread someone created to post their scores and all the details of their rounds. Who would want to read that for someone you don’t even know? And another thread for how to clean your clubs (water, rag, brush, is there any other way?)

I enjoy the gadget reviews, articles about strategy, mental approach.

This is the difference between a blog and a forum: with the latter, anyone can post.

The simplest answer is to choose to read the threads that interest you. As any forum gets bigger, it generally becomes impossible to read every single thread, much less every single post. And that’s OK.

Congrats to @jon, though, on reaching forum growing pains within a month of opening the doors!

10 Likes

I think that’s all relative. With any community, people are going to post what they’re interested in and gravitate towards posts that are relevant to them. For the most part, I think we’ve got a more “how do I get better” interest on here, and for someone, maybe listening to how another golfer’s round went could give them some insight in their own game. If not, then you don’t have to read those posts :grinning:

The way the software works on this platform is that if there is little interest in a post, it won’t be as visible. While I hope this place grows, all of the content will be user-driven, so all of us together are essentially responsible for where it goes, and what topics are covered.

11 Likes

The beauty of a forum is you can choose what you read and what you don’t read. The reviews, gadget stuff, and everything you like is still here and people continue to expand those topics. There are also people who have been able to develop online friendships and this is where they interact and talk about stuff like how they played. They get feedback from people they’ve grown to enjoy and respect and that’s as valuable to many as anything.

3 Likes

Point taken… Jon’s blog is more my cup of tea.

2 Likes

I’m a fan and continue to learn something each day. Interesting how one interpreted something. In @papageorgio score post I’ve posted my score too, I think it’s a way to discuss a round and go back and remember it. Not to be blunt, but isn’t this post the same thing as what you are saying you don’t want to read? If it’s not “for you” you don’t have to be here, but four the majority, I think we’re all enjoying it. Just my two cents.

3 Likes

@jon this is an awesome forum software btw. Light years ahead of the legacy stuff out there.

2 Likes
1 Like

I have enjoyed my interaction with fellow players on this site, and while some of the topics don’t interest me (and obviously some others of you), I have really been impressed with how respectful and cordial everyone is on this site.

4 Likes

thanks! I can’t take credit for the actual software but I’m glad how it’s performed so far

That’s a great way to summarize it, and certainly … fwiw … why I’m on here :golf::golfing_man:

4 Likes

Didn’t mean to offend, was just giving some “site feedback”. Of course we can all enjoy reading or not reading what we choose. Keep up the good work @jon.

That’s why I’m here too - how do I get better.

5 Likes

I don’t think you offended anyone! any feedback (positive or negative) is always appreciated.

1 Like

I didn’t realise how much I needed this forum. I clearly don’t know enough people to satisfy my need for detailed golf chat. Feels like a great little community. Thanks @jon :+1:t2:

5 Likes

Modern life is so full of friction and minor annoyances that when someone really nails something from a design perspective… it does something for me

Whoever coded this knew what they were doing!

3 Likes

It’s open-source so you can thank a community just like this one for getting it done!

1 Like

That’s really great to hear John. Glad you are enjoying the interaction with everyone (so am I)

1 Like

I have stopped going to my other golf sites. This is now my only golf forum. Thanks Jon.

5 Likes

Wow that’s a nice endorsement! Glad you’re having such a great time here

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. There is so much good stuff in here and the people are just wonderful. I feel like I can ask anything in a topic if it’s own and get really good answers, no smart a$$ comments. That’s a huge bonus for me, as I am trying to learn as much about golf as quickly as possible. I like to say I’m drinking from the fire hydrant, but would really like to be drinking from the garden hose. However, it takes time to get to that point so I’ll get all I can from this and chime in where I can to help others. I’m mostly learning though.

3 Likes