Impact and direction

I watched a video this morning by Adam Young describing impact. I know i struggle with impact on different clubs and am practicing trying to get much better at it. Well he gave a tip on this video that i am looking forward to trying. Now you might have heard this one but this was the first time i had heard it put this way.He was discussing draws, fades and even hitting it straight. He said when you go up to the ball, and you know which way you want to hit it, just imagine a nail though the ball. If you want to hit a draw, imagine the nail pointing towards the right and the opposite for the fade. If you are trying to hit the nail, and you see the nail, it will help you with the impact that has to happen and the direction you wish it to go. Just curious how many have heard this and tried it and what kind of results have you had.

Thank you,

2 Likes

Here is a thread on that drill from a few days ago:

1 Like

Highly recommend the strike plan. He has some awesome video / animations

He’s great at explaining difficult concepts in plain language.

2 Likes

I think Adam has one of the best minds about the golf swing and knows how to communicate well.

1 Like

Don’t forget, the nail drill just deals with one aspect of direction. With irons, the other is the face orientation (open/closed to the path).

In order to draw it, the path MUST be in to out (right) with an iron, and the face needs to be closed to it. Too much and it hooks… too little and it pushes.

Flip it for fades.

With the driver we have the added complication of gear effect https://youtu.be/NceHUbLafOQ

3 Likes