Hybrid golf clubs

I just purchased a set of hybrid irons. Any suggestions as to how I should hit these versus traditional irons? Thanks!

1 Like

My 3-iron hybrid is still my favorite club in the bag! It’s a bit more forgiving and easier to launch higher in the air than a traditional 3-iron would be. That’s primarily the benefit of hybrids versus long irons.

I wouldn’t say there is too much you have to do differently in your swing. Hybrids are designed to mimic the feeling of swinging an iron. The best thing to do is to spend some time on the range getting used to them.

1 Like

I agree with Jon. I use my 5-hybrid and 4-hybrid a lot as I find them easier to use than the equivalent irons. I think the swing is fairly similar to an iron-swing, but best to practise a few times before using on the course.

1 Like

I recently got a XXIO Prime Hybrid 5 off eBay, and, it is turning into my favorite club when not a perfect lie. Also use it on 150 yard par 3s.

1 Like

I recently put a Cleveland Launcher Turbo 23 in my bag and it’s giving me the perfect mix between hybrid and iron. I could never find a hybrid that worked for me and normal long irons are always so on / off. This seems like the perfect combo, maybe it’s the shorter length and more upright lie angle but I like it.

While it’s best to work with a clubfitter, I think most golfers can benefit from swapping out some of their longer irons for a hybrid. It takes a lot of swing speed, and ability to strike the center of the face in order to get long irons in the air. Hybrids have been around for quite a while now, and a lot of the newer models allow for further customization (loft/lie angle) - I still think they are one of the best equipment changes a golfer can make.

2 Likes

I thought I would not like my 3 hybrid, but it quickly became a go-to club for me. So easy to hit it well

1 Like

I started out with a 21* hybrid that replaced a 3i. I then moved onto a 18* one and replaced my 5W. Love the versatility out of the rough and a lot easier to hit off the deck.

1 Like

I have 3,4 & 5 hybrids. I love the 4h in particular. Early in a round I will use it instead oof a fairway wood because of confidence in a good strike. I also carry a 5i because of the gap between my 6i and 5h. Nominally, my 5i is a stronger loft than my 5h but I can’t hit it as far.

1 Like

I have a 2-hybrid & 3-hybrid, both Callaway but models & different regular shafts. Love the 2 but not the 3. Range time would help mentioned but with a bulky back & left wrist tough for me to beat many balls. Hopefully the 3 improves soon!

1 Like

The key with the hybrids is don’t try to hit up on them or help them into the air. This will just lead to topping/chunking them all over the place. Just like regular irons, you want to hit ball first then turf.

3 Likes

That’s a great point. You are still hitting off the turf, so you’ll need a level, or downward angle of attack to the ball. I wouldn’t try to do much differently than your current irons, let the club do what it’s designed to do!

2 Likes

The great thing about the hybrid is when you’re in a rough lie, you usually can still get great contact, where a traditional iron would get caught up. Definitely worth it when you have a long shot out of the rough and it’s not buried.

Additionally, I love to putt out of the rough near the green with my hybrid. Or when there is a short sided pin up a slope.

2 Likes

I have 2 3 hybrids, set at 18 and 21°. These are my go to clubs for length, particularly when I’m not playing well or weather dictates.

I find they are easier to shape and also far more forgiving, as long as you don’t try to RIP it too much.

Swing easy and they club will fo the work for you!!

1 Like

I agree with CoryO. I try to hit down on them like I’m wanting to take a divot.

Thanks for all the great replies.
I just came from the driving range. I love the hybrids!!! Tomorrow I am hitting the true test… the golf course. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think this is a part of the bag that none of the OEMs have figured out. I’ve never met a hybrid that doesn’t like to hook, nor have I met a long/driving iron that can easily be hit from the fairway or rough. I basically just have given up and carry and extra wedge. I hit 4 iron as my lay-up club, driver for pretty much everything else.

1 Like

Agree, Ebs. Hybrids also get crazy spinny and balloon up in the air, essentially useless in the wind. Driving irons, on the other hand, cannot hold greens with their shallow, hot landing angle. What goes in that spot depends on how you want to use it, the course you’re playing, and conditions. I think for higher swing speeds the best answer right now is a 3 iron that is part of a distance-player’s set, not specifically a “driving iron.” So like a P790 3 iron. Very little offset, good looking club. Still not using it to carry water on a par 5 tho!

21° Adams is my go to from around the green to 180 yds. I believe 0 to -3° is proper AOA

Using my ARCCOS Club Usage, I affirmed my 5H is my second most used club behind my driver. I also looked at my shot dispersion and it is much more consistent than my woods or long irons. So, I have decided to bite the bullet and purchase the XXIO Prime 7H, especially since they dropped the price by $120.

2 Likes