Hybrid golf clubs

I carry an 18.5 and 21.5 hybrid. My longest iron is a 5 iron. The hybrids give me a much better launch and land softer than long irons. They’ve definitely made the game more fun. Highly recommend.

1 Like

I’m stuck in the past. When I learned to play there no such thing as hybrids. I still have a 3i-Pw iron set although now I have gone to a in to out path I cant hit 3, 4, or 5 unless on a tee. Probably because my in to out path has caused the face to hood delofting them making them unhitable

I’ve been using a Tour Edge 2 ironwood off the tee (don’t like it off the ground) on par 3’s that are over 200 for a while now. I also recently took the 4 iron out of the bag and put in an old TaylorMade Rescue Mid (#3)…and love it. I’m thinking it’s probably time for me to go get a new hybrid or two with more up to date technology and fitting and perhaps take out the 5 iron as well.
I’m definitely hitting down through them like an iron though.

Now, now no laughing. Got hooked on a Nickent 3DX Rc 24° after a demo about 100 years ago. It really gets utilized. Play it from 150-160 yards, hybrid putting & chipping, longish fairway bunkers. It’ll balloon & hook a bit though. Adams Redline 21° will do the same stuff & that’s the 160-175 yarder…

I have always thought in terms of swapping irons for hybrids. What do people think of swapping fairway woods for hybrids?

1 Like

I put away my 5 wood, kept my 3 wood, and now use hybrids. Love them!

Did you replace the 5 Wood with a hybrid that goes the same distance?

About 5 to 10 yards less BUT the hybrid is much more forgiving.

1 Like

I’m leaning towards doing this if I can find a hybrid that carries 215-220. I currently carry a 4 wood that I struggle with mightily.

A 19° hybrid should get you pretty close to that carry distance.

1 Like

I have an 18.5 degree hybrid that I carry 200-205. I’m a bit flippy and impact so I don’t have much forward shaft lean which costs me distance.

1 Like

Looks like you can get down to a 17° should give you that extra… say it in a pirates voice yaaardage!!!

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking 16 or 17 degree. Looks like Tour Edge, Ping and Titleist make those lofts.

I really like Taylormade for Hybrids but they don’t start until 19 degrees these days.

Srixon, Cobra, and Mizuno also make 16°

2 Likes

Have you ever tested your accuracy with hybrids bs fairway woods? I like hybrids better from the rough but I feel like I hit woods better from the fairway. I’m goi g to have to dig into my Shot Scope data.

Hybrids do seems to be a lot better out of the rough. I rarely hit my 3 wood off of the fairway, it’s 250 for me. Rarely am I between 230-260 to a hole. I’m usually either 220 or 280, just seems to work that way for whatever reason. So if I’m either of those distance I go with my 19°, if the pin is front or middle for 220. I feel like I have a better chance hitting my 19° cleaner than my 3wood and the extra 15-20 yards I might get from a well struck 3 wood isn’t worth risk/reward for me.

1 Like

I haven’t, but I definitely know I’m way better with hybrids. I currently have no idea where my fairway wood is going.

1 Like

I doubt I’ll ever have a 3-4 iron ever again. I have hybrids I can put in the bag when I need them, but I’ve discovered at my current course, the 7 wood is more versatile.

1 Like

I love the ability of the hybrid to launch higher. With the irons, especially down in the 3-4 range the launch is low. I can’t think of many times I want to launch the ball lower, unless I’m under some low lying branches.

1 Like

I’m trying it, can’t hit a 3 wood off the fairway…just got a 4 and a 5 hybrid, waiting for the weather to break to try them! Won’t really know till next year, about a week left to play up here.

2 Likes