Hitting Bombs: Golf Fitness

Figured this would be the right place to put this… but I wanted to see what people are doing in terms of golf fitness… Honestly, I think this is an underserved and overlooked area for where people can gain strokes without “practicing golf”… It’s also good for you!

Quick backstory on me, I just turned 39 and am out of shape… I’m currently injured, mostly because I tried to start an exercise program too quickly, and then ignored my body. The long story short of it is: I tweaked an oblique doing rotational work, mostly ignored the pain and played golf anyways… it was mostly fine (slowly getting better) and then I played back to back days in a Member-Member I shouldn’t have been playing in… I couldn’t get anything going on the second day, so I decided to ignore the pain and swing my regular swing… 2 MRIs later and I have torn cartilage in my back. Nothing permanent, but I haven’t played a round of golf since the beginning of August. So the long story short is take fitness seriously and slowly… don’t hurt yourself!

Let’s talk fitness!

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve realized I need a good exercise routine to keep me healthy and hopefully playing golf longer. I do better with a program built towards a goal, and figured chasing some extra club head speed was a good use of gym time… Basically, I created a rewards system for myself where (ideally) going to the gym would lead to me hitting the golf ball farther. We can get into speed training elsewhere (as lifting is only a part of developing CHS) but I want to talk specific gym related stuff.

I signed up for Fit For Golf. It has a ton of workouts build around golf… basically focusing on trunk rotation and building fast twitch muscles… It also works the whole body, so it gets a proper workout in for anyone who is looking to improve general fitness as well.

I like that it’s targeted towards golf but not only golf exercises. It hits exactly what I’m looking for of “Hey, if you are trying to improve your fitness, why not make your focus golf fitness?”. It also has some good stretching stuff, which I compliment with old stretches I know, YouTube Yoga and some PT stuff I picked up this month trying to recover from injury.

My goals for the rest of the year are to get my back healthy and then slowly work back into doing a full fitness routine… I’m going to focus early on strengthen my core and stretching. Once I’m fully recovered, I’m going to start back into Fit for Golf and focus on building CHS still.

My ultimate goal is to get back down to my high school wrestling weight and hit 120mph.

3 Likes

The only thing I’ll add is to not neglect recovery and have a recovery program built into your fitness routine. We all tend to remember to stretch before the workout and then get after it, but what happens after the workout is just as important for making sure you’re ready for it again the next day.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your injury.

I struggle with sciatica and Piriformis getting really tight and it always flares up when I ignore flexibility. There is a great set of stretches called Joe Defranco limber 11 for hip mobility.

You can do it daily in about 10 minutes and its made a big difference for me and how far I can turn.

Link provided below:

Thanks! Injury was my own fault, as I pushed myself when I shouldn’t have… and probably started when I didn’t appropriately warm up!

It’s been a painful few months, but it makes me more committed to golf fitness as it will hopefully prevent this sort of problem in the future.

Fitness is definitely important - especially as you get older and want to continue to play. And want to continue to improve!

I don’t follow a specific program but for most of my life have always worked on three main things…

1. cardio fitness
  2. flexibility
  3. muscle conditioning (think maintaining and toning, not necessarily strength building)

My diet is reasonably good, too; plus the past few years I’ve made an extra effort to be sure I’m drinking lots of water each day.

Someone mentioned earlier about recovery - its importance cannot be overstated.

I’m gonna be 65 this Winter and I want to keep playing - and swinging away! - for as long as possible!

2 Likes

I’ve been dealing with a herniated L4 and L5 for 15 years. Fortunately, I’ve been able to play golf without much problem, just some occasional achiness. I’ve been using 18 Strong’s workout programs for about a year. The one thing that they stress, and is really helped me, is a morning movement routine. It takes about the amount of time to brew a pot of coffee, and I hit the whole body and get things moving. Really been a game changer for me.

3 Likes

Hi Craigers,

Thanks for signing up, I hope you’re enjoying the routines.

If anyone has any training questions feel free to tag me.

Regards,
Mike

6 Likes

Love the program, looking forward to getting back to work.

Glad you are here!

I do CrossFit. I started about four years ago. Five years ago I weighed 325 lbs. I went paleo and most 100lbs in 9 months. Today I weigh 195 and I’m much much stronger than I’ve ever been.

“…but…but CrossFit is bad on your joints and shoulders…”

It certainly can be. So can getting out of a deep bathtub or rolling over in bed the wrong way or bending down to empty the dishwasher.

I have a torn up shoulder - not from CrossFit, though. If anything it’s much better than before I started.

But I take care of my body through supplements. I rest. I recover. What CrossFit has done for my golf game and swing has been incredible. My fast twitch muscles are strong. I’m much more flexible. And my overall strength head to toe is beyond what I thought my body could do.

I don’t think going Hulk smash and just pounding iron is the way to go for golf. Sure you’ll get strong, but your flexibility will suffer and so will your game.

I’m not saying everyone should go join their closest CrossFit box, but find a good mix of cardio, strength training, and mobility. And don’t overdo it.

5 Likes

That’s why I use @Fit_For_Golf! It’s not just pounding iron, but focuses usually on larger weights and lower repetition, as well as core and rotational work… Crossfit definitely hits some of those same things!

I need to get back to negative carb intake… sigh.

1 Like

Great work! Sounds like all you’re missing is Coffee for Wellness :wink:

I haven’t signed up for Mike’s program yet, but I do several of his exercises posted plus a few others. I’m 37 and it’s crazy how much longer injury recovery takes than it did just a few years ago, but I’m still trying to get stronger and faster.

I was 220 at the start of Covid and got up to 237 after a few month because I stopped playing basketball, kept eating, and had a few injuries that kept me from working out for a month, then another month to slowly get back into it.

Clubhead speed is around 115 now, and would love to get to 120+. Thought a lot about @SuperSpeedGolf too, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet

2 Likes

My overall focus is on my body feeling good and for me that means staying active and eating right. I was never all that out of shape (probably maxed out at around 180lbs four years ago), but I knew it wasn’t where I wanted to be. No special diet outside of reducing added sugars, just moderation and intermittent fasting to limit my eating time to 8 hours a day. Down around 140lbs now and never felt better. I know I’m a bit skinny, but honestly think this is my natural body shape. If I can add ~5 pounds of muscle or so, that would be great, but I’m not overly focused on doing it and I’m pretty sure I can add clubhead speed without it. Just over the course of COVID golf, I’ve been getting my distance back. Funny thing happened during the round yesterday, one of the guys I joined on the back was apparently surprised at how (relatively) far I was hitting it and asked me how I “generate my leverage.” Telling him I cross the line at the top, have an early extension, and a flippy release didn’t seem like the type of answer he wanted so I just said I synced up my turn.

1 Like

I have to agree I love @Fit_For_Golf program. I think it is great on core and rotational work as well.

I think my shoulder rotation and hip mobility is the best it has been in a long time since I have started.

My only downside with it is I am used to doing more. After the first couple of weeks on the off-season program I just added more exerciser and volume to the workouts.

1 Like

Just turned 40 today! 6’6”. 198 lbs. Hard to keep fit!

It seems you have to be so vigilant when you get past your prime. Cardio, diet, strength training, mobility. I think what’s good for golf is good for life. Stay light, mobile, and strong! Not sure you need a specific program, but you do need discipline and vigilance and motivation. For me the motivation is to keep playing high level golf as long as possible, hopefully 65 and beyond!

3 Likes

I definitely agree with having an end goal makes a difference for me too. I would lose a lot of motivation when I used to just workout to workout. But since now I’m working out to get better at golf, I have more invested in it. I think one thing to add to this is it’s important to stay consistent over a long period of time. It’s hard to make improvements I think if you start for 3 weeks then give up for 2 months and the cycle repeats. I agree start slower and make those small achievable habits first then add more in.

I agree as you get older the small nagging injuries do take longer which is hard to get used to. I’ve been thinking about super speed too, it is tempting.

1 Like

That Fit for Golf, guy really does know what he is talking about; Craigers!

1 Like

Craigers, I am similar age and about 3 years ago I perforated a disk between through football (soccer lol).

At this point i changed my mindset to training; at that point I had been in the military 18 years. I need to change how i trained to ensure longevity; i dropped squats and dealifts (i know this goes against grain) but mentally and physically i couldn’t do them at a significant weight.

I instead took on calisthenics, which i believe will be perfect for you if you’re beginning to get back to fitness.

The key is it builds all from body weight (and some additional weight in vests or kettlebells).

The biggest benefit i have is now my endurance, I just never get injured or have major aches post round (usually walk and carry). Additionally, calisthenics is huge on core strength, a vital component to swing speed.

Now i will caveat that my swing speed hasn’t significantly improved despite using speedsticks etc but my overall game has due to heightened fitness.

I appreciate this style isn’t for all but I’ve always been firm in that, if you can’t do certain bodyweight exercises (i.e pull up) can you justify trying to lift heavy weights. At the very least, use calisthenics to build a foundation.

My average drive is now 240 (up from 210 2 years ago) so something is working.

Good luck with your journey.

3 Likes

Thanks! Everyone has a different path and we all need to work with what we have…

With the back injury, I’m not sure what my path forward is… I’m hoping that it heals and isn’t a weak spot moving forward… I’m definitely planning on doing a ton of core work over the next six months to make sure everything that supports my back is up to the task.

The ultimate goal is to make sure my body is capable of playing golf for the next 30+ years… I’ve watched my dad (who exercises daily) lose mobility over the years as his routines haven’t changed and he does very little stretching. My goal is to be more adaptive to what my body needs and build towards doing the things I want to do.

1 Like