Hitting Bombs: Golf Fitness

Haven’t mentioned it yet as it doesn’t really go with the “hitting bombs” concept, but for just general health and wellness (especially long term), the best thing I think I can suggest is walking. Not just walking on the golf course, but just walking in general. Take a walk when you wake up, take a walk after meals, take a walk in the evening. Park at the back of parking lots, wherever you can find steps, get them.

4 Likes

Hitting Bombs long term requires good long term fitness… I just like goofy titles.

1 Like

From someone who lived a in gym for 30+ years and has had 2 microdiscectomies alone my concept of “golf fitness” totally changed over the last 12-months. Every program prescribed by a professional was hurting me and it was a battle to stay healthy and on the golf course. Someone playing at a KFT event mentioned Thomas Malchow (and his Trainfuly program) and it’s the reason I’m able to peg it up today. The reason we come out of our posture, sway on the back swing, push or pull our shots or not able to finish in balance is not always a matter of technique but an issue/limitation with an area of the body. The focus is correcting imbalances, building capacity and creating elasticity in the body. I encourage folks to check it out. Its $40 well spent.

3 Likes

Very cool!

When I was in the gym, I started doing a ton of balance stuff to cool down… (and some under a load). It definitely helped me in different places.

While working out, I’d do split level squats (one foot on the ball side of a bossi ball) and “balance” squats (ball side down)…

While cooling down, I’d get on a balance board with a weight stick and do full turns. Those are fun!

Love calisthenics and body weight exercises. Better to be light and mobile than super strong and rigid. I did get 25 lb. dumbbells to use for squats and deadlifts as I felt I wasn’t keeping up muscle tone with just body weight squats. I just kind of invent my own program as I go based on what my body is telling me I need. But the ultimate goal is always great golf as long as possible!

3 Likes

Or a walk with the dogs :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Honestly, long walks are the first thing I’m going to do post shot in the back… walking is always good!

1 Like

This is his post round recovery session. My Theragun can work but the ball has a deeper release technique. Plus the ball is like $9.

1 Like

Devon, i always chuckle about superstrong as I have military friends who can pound weight but can’t do exercises i can (vice versa) … i always joke until you can do a shoulder pressup don’t give me shit :joy::joy:

Seriously though, i never ache after and always feel loose

2 Likes

That’s pretty fast already at 115! Congrats. The 120 goal is attainable just not sure where your max ceiling may be.

The @Fit_For_Golf program is excellent and is a greta combo with the SuperSpeed program. It just makes everything work better and MIke is good guy. Highly recommend.

6 Likes

I think your program is great and more people should use it! I wanted to steal my dad’s setup…

I use the @Fit_For_Golf program. It is well worth it. Excellent workouts. Lots of variety. Next on my list is the Superspeed program after a run through the Off Season program has my golf is done here in Canada.

3 Likes

Great combo there, I’ve used both myself!

1 Like

I lift Heavy things and put them down :weight_lifting_woman:.

Then I lift light things :beer:!

3 Likes

Will check out Trainfully program! Also heard it mentioned on Stick and Hack podcast. At my age and disability level, it is a challenge to find a fitness program I can actually DO and that increases my fitness without causing injury!

3 Likes