Grip suggestions?

No wonder so many great golfers came out of Texas. Anyone could play good golf under the condition there could probably do better somewhere else.

1 Like

have you ever played lamkin utx?

thinking of ordering that an iomic and doing a test drive

I’ve never played any of the Lamkin grips. Sorry, I can’t help compare them for you.

I ordered two utx and two iomic sticky

Going to test them out

Falling out of love with the mcc

What in particular is giving you grief? (Asks the guy who just got two re-grip cycles’ worth of MCC +4 Aligns from China.) LOL.

I will say again, the Iomics are likely to be tackier and thinner than you’re used to. Be prepared.

Nah. It’s just hot. And Humid. Balls sail here, with the thinner air. You’re constantly drinking fluid and applying sunscreen. And changing gloves. But you at least can play 11.9 months out of the year here.

I never realized that changing gloves was a thing until I moved here.

(I’ve never played Palm Springs, et al…though I have driven down Daylight Pass in July, with the heater on, because the car was overheating, LOL. 121 and 3% humidity, per the Death Valley Visitor’s Center. It’s like walking on an alien planet…)

1 Like

I just feel like i am constantly washing them to get the tackiness back

Have only played them for two seasons

Well that’s no good… Rubbing alcohol wiping isn’t bringing them back?

That is a thing i will give the Iomics: they’re thin, crush easily (vs WinnPros), and are difficult to discern (when you’re on the diamonds or not) tactile-y, but they. Are. Always. Sticky. And I cleverly put them on my wedges. I wasn’t thinking. I have found a lot more ‘hand-action’ with those vs the Winns. And since I’m 90% sure I need stiffer shafts…yeah. I’ve made it work. I think.

Again, make sure the Iomics go all the way to the butt, and are fully seated, unstretched when installing. Or you end up with a reservoir-tip feeling situation. Which isn’t great. They’re an incredibly stretchy grip.

One of the local golf fitter I know migrated to Palm Spring after he retired.
Desert weather there.
I guess, I could understand why Ben Hogan and lots of other golfers from Texas did not wear golf gloves. Not fun having to keep changing it.
We do have a few weeks here when playing in rainy days, which we have to change of the Winter Gloves when it soaked through. Cabretta Leather gloves are for the Summer golf here.

1 Like

@jon

Ban the spammer!

Click the three dots, tap the flag icon that shows up, and report away.

Keep a dry , clean towel to wipe your hands ( palms) between shots.

Dave,
Just got 3 of the mid size Evolutions and I really like them. Just order 10 more so all my clubs will be Iomic. Thanks for the help. Hopefully these last a long time and stay grippy.

2 Likes

Good to hear, I know ive been completely satisfied with mine.

Z-Grip Cord is the only grip I use

For years, I’ve always notice pros wiping their grips aggressively at times and didn’t know what they were doing…so, I tried it. What I found is that it gets the grip hot and makes it nice and tacky! Never heard announcers talk about it ever! I don’t like to wear gloves so it’s now part of my shot routine…I also wash my grips every 3 or 4 rounds or after each session at the range with some mild soapy water…

The friction from wiping with moisten towel will take away some of the dirt and oil deposit on the grip but it’ll also press them down into the grip.
Washing with warm soapy water and a nylon brush will revive the texture for a short time.
Nothing will work if the grip is old and oxidized beyond its useful life. Some of the grips I used in the past had all rubber or high rubber content, those will last close to a decade. Like the original Royal Grip, the first generation of the Pure Grips. They’ll stay playable for a long long time. The weight on those will be heavy because of the rubber is heavy.
Most the new generations of the grips use synthetic blend compounds, for light weight construction and lower cost. Those will be lucky to last a couple of seasons if not exposed to direct ultra violet ray. They simply won’t last even sitting in the storage.

Checking in with @Todd, after a year of use how are the grips holding up?

Dave, the grips are literally like brand new. All I have to do is clean them and they are sticky like they were when I got them.
Thanks so much for your comments about Iomic Grips. If there are better grips out there I don’t know what they are.

2 Likes

Also, of import is that while playing, if I have not cleaned my grips in a while, a wet towel rub on the grip backed up with a dry towel and they are sticky again.