Grip suggestions?

Thanks Dave. Appreciate the feedback. I have been using Winn but this last batch has lost its tackiness pretty quick. Its been really hot and humid where I live and tons of rain and I think that is why. Still much better than Golf Pride.

Everyone has different preferences. Order one each of a couple of different models and see how you like them.

2 Likes

Have not played it yet but going to try the Super Stroke Cross Country comfort traction grip on an old 3W I just re-shafted. It feels really comfy … if that’sa good term for a golf grip :joy: … and definitely good texture and tackiness.

1 Like

Appreciate the info!

I did what @davep043 suggested and bought a few different types of grips (full rubber but textured like corded, corded, and hybrid) from a couple different companies - Golf Pride, Lamkin, and Iomic.

I’ve also tried three different sizes so far - regular, midsize, and jumbo.

ATM, I’m leaning towards either a hybrid or fully corded grip. No particular brand or model yet. All the ones I’ve used so far seem to be pretty good. The fully rubber grip w/cord-like texture is okay, but does tend to get a little slick after my hand sweats a bit.

I tried a midsize and jumbo grip thinking that a bigger grip would help me not to grip the club so hard. And it does, but my grip and hand position is so different with the oversized grips that I’m unable to break my wrist the same way as with a normal grip and throws my swing off.

So, I think I’ll end up going with a normal sized grip, but I might use an extra piece or two of tape just to thicken it up a tiny bit.

3 Likes

This is what I’ll be doing, the next time I regrip. Numbers suggest 3 wraps (vs the usual one) but I dunno. I like the Iomic Sticky Evolutions I mentioned, but if you’re installing them yourself, take care to make sure that the base of the grip is butted up against the shaft end. They’re really stretchy when installing them. I didn’t make sure, and now I have an annoyingly wobbly 1/4 to 1/2 inch of dangling grip at the end of two of the three clubs I tried them on.

In further looking for my needs (very humid conditions, plus I sweat a lot), I’ve been looking at MCC Plus 4 profiled grips, the ones that are thicker for the right hand, and the Crossline Genesis ones from Lambkin. Gotta work through the ones I have, though.

1 Like

For sure. I made sure these were butted up tight, but will make sure the news one w/extra wrapping are too.

These are “new” grips still, but because the midsize grips affect my grip so much, I’m going to do a full swap either in January before my trip, or in March/April before the new season.

Just a quick update on this for anyone interested. I ended up going with some fully corded grips from Lamkin. I have two extra pieces of tape (3x total) on them which, as I understand it, puts me halfway between standard and midsize.

I’ve played several rounds with them and they’re working out great. I’ll likely need to bring a cleaning solution and extra towel to wipe them down in the summer. But I’m not having any issues this winter, even playing/practicing with only one glove.

2 Likes

It’s funny how precise you can get with this stuff. Before I tried it, I didn’t know that not all tape was equal. Thickness, mainly, but width plays a roll too in how you end up wrapping the shaft. My spiral wrap technique needs work, and by the bottom, those subsequent wraps are overlapping a lot more.

Meh, better than it was. The Iomics I mentioned are still feeling a lot thinner than the Golf Pride Z-Grips, despite identical numbers inside the grip. Next time, I’ll use some calipers.

I’m glad your choice is working out for you. For ‘two-glove’ golf, do you just wear a lefty’s golf glove on the right hand. Or do you wear some other glove?

1 Like

I use rain gloves from FootJoy. I have 2-3 pairs hanging off my bag that I rotate. They’re sold in pairs.

I noticed the difference in tape size too. Several of the ones I looked at are/were 6/100, so that’s what I went with.

My tape hardly overlaps, though — less than 1/4”. I used 2” wide tape. I was concerned that I’d notice that or any imperfections in the tape (bubbles, wrinkles, etc.), but the grip is thick enough that I don’t notice any of it.

1 Like

Yes if you want to be precise you have to watch grip ID, butt OD and tape thickness. Want it thinner then spiral narrower tape on shaft. For thicker you can use layers of 2" wide blue painters tape.

I love that they have more grips now with less taper. I always used to have to stagger layers of tape to build up the lower right hand portion. I have been using GP CP2 Pros with no extra tape for a few years now. Might go with Lamkin Sonar + next as they felt similar but tackier.

2 Likes

They did feel great to me also, when I tried them at Golf Galaxy. Ended up finding some MCC +4 Aligns in Midsize for next in the queue.

Friggin’ arthritis…

Definitely going with much wider masking tape next time, and trying to put the layers on in a similar manner to how I apply double-sided grip tape.

1 Like

MG, if you could moist the gloves to feel “soggy” , either you were golfing in a high humidity condition of you’ll need to see someone for the issue.
What happened to the rest of your body when you wet the gloves ? Were your clothing all dripping with sweat ?
Full corded grip will be the best for your condition, the linen insertion in the grip will absorb moisture and provide more traction. Wipe down the grip and clean it after your round. This is the type of grip which Fred Couples said to rub with sand paper to make it feel tacky ( exposing the linen ). Fred never wore golf gloves, neither did Ben Hogan.

1 Like

You are the ultimate nit :joy:

I love it

1 Like

How to say you don’t live in Houston, without saying you don’t live in Houston…

Yes, soaked through gloves (and everything else) are unfortunately a thing here. I’ve had to swap out gloves mid practice before, and I don’t practice for as much time, as it takes to play a round here.

2 Likes

It gets humid where I’m at in WA State and I’m warm blooded, so I sweat :man_shrugging:t2: Everything else gets soggy too, but only my hands hold the clubs…

I’m using the full corded grips from Lamkin and those are working out well.

Darn, I thought WA is not humid like Eastern Seaboards and the South.
I had never felt “humid” where humidity level is never quite high to even perspire in the Summer, unless directly under the Sun.
Lamkin full cords are top notch, Personally, I do not need full cords here, I use rubber Tour Wraps. The Royal grips last more than 10 years and the current Pure is in their 9th year and feels, looks like new, without any issue of not providing grip for a full golf swing.

True, I had never been to that part of the country. Matt is not in Huston though.
The worst place with the humidity issue I had been to, was New Jersey in the Summer in the 70’s. I could just sit in the shade and the sweat would soak through the clothing.
The warmest place I had been to was Phoenix in the Summer, it was so hot, even to visit the pool in the evening, but a dry type of heat not humid; kind of like being baked in an oven.

I guess if Houston is like being steamed in a steam basket then, I could understand soaking through the glove. Must have been very uncomfortable.

The thing with Upper Midwest and Eastern seaboard humidity, versus the Gulf Coast/South, is that they’ll have a few days of truly ludicrous dewpoints (temp at which the relative humidity would be 100%), like 85-90 degrees or so. But it’s a few days.

Here, it’s literally like 5 months of it in the mid to high 70s. Lots of days where it never got below 80 (and heat index of 85+). Might cool down under a thunderstorm downpour, for a bit, then back to 80-90.

It’s a swamp where people come to make money. And eat great food, now.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve learned the humidity level around the Gulf coast is pretty consistently in the 70% range and strangely, close to 90% in the morning.

Besides Ben Hogan and the great food, there is probably not much else besides the hospitality from the people to offer. One of the guy in our group has a wife originally from Texas, and she confirmed of the humidity and the draught with flash flooding.
Ran into a guy filling up 4-5 propane tanks and I joked whether I was invited to the cookout; he replied that they were on their way moving to Texas just getting ready for the trip ( they traveled in a R.V , obviously ). I was making fun of the recent weather pattern in the Gulf States and he was like, had to move because his wife’s family is still in that part of the country. All that before the Snow and the rain hit us here.
I would say, we start to see a lot of out of State license plates on all sorts of vehicles in our region during the rush hours.
Texas being the number one State where the Washington State residents moved to, I guess it’s just an exchange of population.

1 Like

I lived in the swamp for 5 years

Good place to make money and eat :slight_smile:

Running memorial in the middle of the day in summer is a survival test

2 Likes