Great Article From Mark Broadie - How to Save 10 Shots

I thought this was an excellent article from Mark Broadie showing how different scoring looks from a golfer who shoots a 90 versus on that shoots an 80.

Have a read:

17 Likes

Just copied this to my iBooks so I can read it on the plane.

1 Like

Great read thanks for sharing. If only he can save me 10 shots as a 70s shooter!

3 Likes

Iā€™d take 6 shots as a 6 handicap!

1 Like

I love these types of articles that are specific to a given handicap range.

3 Likes

It was well done. His research has really changed the way that we think about the game (for the better).

2 Likes

Easier said the done to just reduce the number of awful shots. Most of us hit awful shots because our swings suck and swing changes take a lot of time, effort, and feedback to ingrain. Still as someone who averaged 2.8 driving errors per round this year this is the path Iā€™m currently on.

1 Like

Youā€™re right about it being easier said than done. But at least having a practice program that is tailored to your current skill level makes more sense than practicing the same thing the pros are working on.

2 Likes

What I like about his approach is he takes into account the fact that you are going to missā€¦ the whole concept of taking the big mistakes out of play (even if it means aiming for the rough) is incredibly useful across most skill levelsā€¦

Once you learn to keep the ball in play off the tee, it makes things easierā€¦ even as a single digit handicap, this was a big improvement for meā€¦ there are holes where Iā€™m aiming down a tree line because my miss is wide right and my ball shape is a fadeā€¦ if I hit it straight, itā€™s in bounds and if I hit my big miss, itā€™s in playā€¦ Iā€™ll have to scramble for par, but Iā€™m not hitting 3 off the tee box. Itā€™s significantly helped my scoring on that particular hole!

Thatā€™s kinda where Iā€™m at - 90s shooter, going thru a series of lessons encompassing major swing changes and committed to the process, making better contact with the ball but still working on some minor :wink::slight_smile: directional issuesā€¦

So not scoring better yet but constantly trying to improve my on-course strategy with each round to work to reduce both the number of errors plus the ā€œbadnessā€, if you will, of them. Work in progress!

Yeah Iā€™m dead smack in the middle between 80 and 90 but I hit just as many if not more awful drives than a typical 90-shooter. I can usually count on blowing a couple drives off the planet per round.

1 Like

My situation too. This was a great read - always good to be reminded that it doesnā€™t take perfection to improve.

My issue is keeping all this in mind while on the course!

1 Like

Great content again Jon!

Explained in simple but applyable terms. If only we knew how to turn off the emotion switch :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™m a bit surprised that 90 golfers only lose 3 strokes per round to ā€˜awfulā€™ drives. My personal numbers are triple that. I had an out-of-nowhere 9 holes last week where I hit 7 solid drives. It knocked 6-8 strokes off my average over that 9 alone!

I would have thought the number would be closer to 8 strokes per round.

1 Like

What do you consider solid?

Awful generally means a drive that gives you no chance of a green in regulation (penalty, duff, sideways punch out). If youā€™re actually hitting 7-8 of these per round then reducing that number needs to be your top priority.

1 Like

One of the best golf books I ever read, ā€˜The Elements of Scoringā€™ by Ray Floyd is mainly concerned with making good misses, because as he points out, unless youā€™re Ben Hogan, virtually every shot you hit is a mishit to some degree.
I also love the very first line in the book ~ ā€˜Give me your golf game with my head and I beat you 99 times out of 100ā€™

6 Likes

I remember when I was at the breaking 90 stage, I just thought in terms of fives, you can absorb a few 7s if you make a few 3s and 4s on the par threes. Just eliminate the really blow up scores by playing safe.

2 Likes

His book gets named checked in multiple other books Iā€™ve read!

Possibly the best investment you can make entering the winter is book some time at a facility with Foresight or Trackman and not only reconfirm your yardages with each club (including 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 wedges) but map your shot patterns. Especially with the driver. Book at least 3-4 sessions.

5 Likes

I try to do that ā€¦ Iā€™m not a long hitter so Iā€™m generally playing for bogey ā€¦ and try to hit the shots that I can towards safe spots, butā€¦

ā€¦ But I do still have to continue to develop the ball striking skills in each of the areas mentioned - eg. hit more playable tee shots, make more approach shots count, improve my awful bunker play, continue to sharpen the short game and putting.

When I do hit a shot into trouble I try to remind myself ā€¦ ā€œjust get out of the trouble - donā€™t compound the mistakeā€

Work In Progress!!