Golf cart owners?

Does anyone here own a golf cart? If so, can you explain to me how the secondary market believes they retain their value better than cars?
I can get a 1979 Mercedes E Class for $750, but a 1979 EZGO is apparently worth $1500?

2 Likes

Is that true? That’s insane-ly interesting

I’ve seen older listed for a lot more. It’s gotta be one of the wildest markets there is.

I feel like Netflix needs to do a documentary on this. I imagine the secondary golf cart market (especially ones that are 40 years old) is FILLED with interesting characters and stories.

This year, we bought a 2008ish golf cart for $2250 from a neighbor (and a friend of a friend), and I’m pretty happy about it… it will likely need new batteries next year ($800ish) and I still think I got a steal.

For context, I’m in Louisville, KY. Local Inventory

Electric golf carts don’t tend to depreciate in value… they really don’t have a ton of moving parts, and other than wheels and batteries… the market for used golf carts is also relatively small… If you are willing to travel, you can get a decent deal on one (Atlanta has the best pricing near me, but it’s still not CHEAP)

You can try to find a deal from someone selling theirs on Facebook (or Craigslist) but that obviously has it’s own host of problems… Really, the best way to find a golf cart is to get one that a neighbor is going to trade in for a new cart… ours has 4 seats and the guy wanted a 2 seater since his kids are now in college.

I haven’t tricked it out yet with “Let’s Go, Let’s Go!” vinyl stickers yet, but it’s on my to do list.

I live about a mile from my clubhouse, and go there a ton (I took the cart there to go to the gym this morning)… I’ve been getting 350 miles to the tank on my car since getting the cart… I used to peak at 330 miles when driving around town… That probably doesn’t justify the cost, but it’s a nice bonus!

Should I do an exposé article for PG?

So, if you live in The Villages, EZGO is the way to go.

I live in Nebraska where everyone thinks their 1994 Yamaha that needs new batteries is worth $4500.

haha if you can gather the info and give people some valuable info on the market I’m all for it!!!

1 Like

Unfortunately, there isn’t much of a story… an old cart will do what you need… so they don’t drop a ton in value. Just finance a 12k one and get lithium batteries… those things can move.

I need to start financing golf carts and launch monitors

Golf crowd seems prime for loan sharking

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen, it’s like a car dealership and you do the financing through the manufacturer for the most part…

Like if you buy a Yamaha cart, Yamaha will happily finance it…

It’s definitely an interesting market. Not a ton of dealers or manufacturers, and the used prices stay relatively high.

Renting carts is a huge part of the business, though… not just for tournaments but to local events (horse events are big in Kentucky and they spend a ton of money on rental carts, apparently)

Let me know if you’re looking for a business partner.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone thought I was lying. This is the norm around here. 41 year old rust bucket that needs parts. $1500

I can’t make it up.

50 years old!!

2 Likes

Yeah, but that’s a GULF cart… those are worth more.

I think you might be getting skewed results on Facebook… the good ones probably move quick and the over priced rust buckets stay up for sale because no one buys them.

I don’t know, maybe there is an opportunity here… we just need someone who can drive a tractor trailer… we buy some used carts in Florida and ship them to Nebraska.

1 Like

Maybe they cost more because they are “classics”? :rofl:

2 Likes

BDE: load up a cooler with steaks, come play 18 with me and then drive this puppy home.

2 Likes

Speaking of classics.

1 Like