Fixes OTT, fixes everything!

In all the years I’ve been finding useful stuff on Utube, THIS has got to be the Holy Grail ~

I don’t get it. Where is the imaginary ball?

About 12-18 inches to the right of your hands at address. Did you watch it all the way through as it shows it from the front in the last half? It works wonders for OTT and the hit syndrome. Check out Overhand golf for more detail.

1 Like

Woah, I think that is hard to think of when swinging, for me. I like the @Adamyounggolf nail drill, it makes a lot more sense to my feeble little brain.

1 Like

Granted, but this is not a drill, try it on the range. And like the nail drill, its only one simple thought, but it totally changes your perception.

1 Like

Nail drill is @Adamyounggolf!

1 Like

Oh dang, you’re right. My bad! So confused. I’ve fixed my mistake. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have a link to the nail drill? Never heard of it

1 Like

@openfacelefty ook under Adams topic “my coaching process”

It’s really a simple and effective drill… I really like that it makes you focus on one simple thing and abandon everything else…

In other places, he literally equates it to hammering an actual nail… you don’t think of arm position or wrist position or how you are taking the hammer back… you let your body figure that out and focus on just hammering the nail in.

I think it’s a good drill for everyone as it gets the technical people out of their own way and gives a specific actionable goal for the feel people.

I have a problem with it because I already have a ‘hit syndrome’ and a tendency to stop at impact. The imaginary ball by your right hip enables you to ignore the real ball and sweep straight through it.

1 Like

I’ll have to give it a try. Lately I have been seriously struggling with OTT with my wedges. At some point I may consider One Length irons since I don’t do it with the other clubs lol.

Interesting! Full swing with wedges? Or just on the partial swings? I found myself hitting on the outside with wedges on partial swings as I wasn’t fully engaging my hips and it was basically the only way to hit the ball…

1 Like

Mostly partial swings and I think that’s why the longer irons are better. I am guessing that I’m just too much arms and not enough body turn on the wedges. The problem seems to have increased now that it’s been a lot more windy and I’m trying to take less left and keep it down and I just pull it. Give me a shot where I have to hoist it up over a tree and all of a sudden I hit it straight(er) lol.

1 Like

For me, I had to work hard on focusing on clearing my hips through to get inside with partial wedges… it’s really easy for me to get into an arms swing when trying to scale back!

I also had a decent amount of success opening my stance.

1 Like

I’ve played with an open stance for my wedges for years now and I feel like that’s become part of my problem. I think a big part of it might be my setup in general. I played a lot in windy conditions this year and I think I have been moving the ball too far back in my stance and hooding the club. I video’d myself not long ago and my setup for the longer clubs looked great, but not so much for the wedges. Definitely something I need to work on for next season. I plan on taking some indoor lessons with my pro and I’ll hit the heated range and use my net as much as I can.