Electric push carts (trolleys)

Ha, my client practice driving it in his cul-de-sac many hours before he put it in use on the golf course. He had to fight with his kids for the remote control.
Good idea, tough to flip through the owner’s menu on the golf course.

1 Like

Well my buddy took his MG1 X5 out for the first time this weekend. It worked for 1 hole and then stopped lol. We realized the wheels had somehow disengaged from the drive part of the axle. We could only fix one wheel, but that was enough to get the cart going. For some reason the other wheel was jammed and we couldn’t get it far enough on or pry it off. He did feel like it made a big difference for him and I was jealous as I was huffing my cart up the back 9 hills.

1 Like

He’s probably already looked at, but he has to be sure that the wheels are fully -clicked- in all the way onto the axles.

Note there is an outer position but this is only for free wheeling if the battery dies.

Yeah he clearly must not have installed them all the way. It is strange that it seemed to work perfectly from car to clubhouse and up the 1st fairway, but then it must have come loose in the rough around the green. Stranger still that we really couldn’t budge either wheel either off or on. It seemed to take a lot of force to finally get one wheel fully clicked in. Hopefully he was able to move the other one when he got home.

A small blunder, with the not ready out of the box toys.
Even with the required maintenance and replacement, the self propelled motor golf cart is the next best thing to a real caddy ( whose service is priced out for most of the golfers ).
Golf courses which are walker friendly, should look into this as an alternative to the riding golf cart.
Pretty certain as the motorized push cart becomes popular , the cost will also lower according to the higher sales volume and could be the thing for the next couple of decades.

Maybe, maybe not. A a couple walkable courses that I play, cart riders fall into two categories. Eldervolk, who can’t walk a round and need to ride, and dude-bros who need the riding cart to carry refreshments and sound systems.

2 Likes

Yeah, many of the physically able body golfers ride the golf carts for the reasons you mentioned, and some of them really believe riding is what the rich and famous do.
We have mostly hilly terrain here with our golf courses, but most golfers prefer to walk the golf course. We still believe we get more out of walking the golf course than riding. Jump off to hit a shot then jump back in to the next is rather boring, borderline range golf.
We really don’t care what others do, as long as they stay out of our way and stay out of our hearing.
Somehow, loud music on a golf course is not a good match.

1 Like

I doubt electric trolleys would do well for rentals at our course. It would still be too hilly for all but the diehards like me. There are really just a handful of guys 40-60 yrs old that walk regularly to try to keep in shape.

I think the individual electric carts/cycles/scooters might do well. I haven’t really seen those around here, but they look cool and you don’t worry about “cart golf” with your partner. To me the ultimate would be an electric trolley that I could also ride on if I got tired. Or maybe a drone that could airlift me and my bag around the really steep slopes lol.

2 Likes

My point was, if the rental fee is reasonable; I’d forgo on owning a private electric push cart. For the hassle of transporting it to and from the golf course, lifting it on and off the vehicle ( twice) cleaning and maintenance and unavoidable repairing cost if I don’t trade in for a newer model every 3-5 years.
If the fees is less than the riding fee; I would go for the rental power push cart. I don’t see why not; since the cost for the electric push cart is much less than the riding cart.
It should work, if the golf course could offer alternative between the power riding and the pushing carts.

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread.

Based on some physical issues, I’ve had to give up carrying my clubs so I purchased a Rovic RV1S and an Alphard eWheels (with the upcoming CB Sidekick pre-ordered). I’ve seen them more and more on the courses I play so I can’t wait to try it out myself.

2 Likes

Someone at my course recently got a remote controlled MGI. He has run himself over from behind, driven it into bunkers. Walking past the clubhouse it did a sudden right turn and started to drive up the ramp. On the course one day it was coming straight at me. He is a danger.

2 Likes

Probably on the cell phone! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

No just doesn’t watch where he is going

1 Like

Now there will be two types of drives I need to avoid the pond.

2 Likes

I have finally seen a handful at my course this year. A couple of guys have the Alphard and really like it. One of my regular golf buddies bought the MGI Zip X5, but he still rides far more than he walks. I have seen a few others with different models. I am leaning towards getting something for next season as I prefer to walk, but play a very hilly course.

1 Like

Make certain you check out the hill climbing ability and the automatic break features if it is offered.
Some single motor electric push cart will not climb more than 8-10 degrees. Tire treads are also important for grabbing the grounds.

2 Likes

Yes already ruled out some models due to lack of tire tread, front wheel turning, etc. My only real debate is if I really need the electric cart or if I should just work on my fitness more. It’s mainly those hot humid days when an assist would be nice.

2 Likes

I started out with the basic 3 wheel pull behind you cart; then upgraded to a 4 wheel push - way worth it!

Then for a big birthday my wife gifted me with a high end electric - with a remote, and … wow! … if the cost is not prohibitive I very highly recommend it!!

Obviously great for hills but it’s almost like having a … silent, no wise cracks :crazy_face: … caddy tending your bag. Frees you up to stroll along at a steady pace right to your ball :+1:

1 Like

I concur with cksurfdude. I’ve had my BatCaddy for 2 seasons now and just love it. I’m not nearly as tired after 18 holes now. These are a little bit of an investment because of the price, but if you love to walk it’s the only way to go.

3 Likes

It really depending on your physical condition and your age.

In general; the evolution of the ways to carry the golf clubs around a golf course.

• carrying the golf sticks in your hands.
    -single sling golf bag.
    -double sling golf bag
    -pull cart
    -push cart
    -motorized cart
    -remote control motorized cart
    -remote + follow me golf cart

Each one is better than the last one but, one could pick and chose which one fit the current need.

I enjoy walking the golf course and I will never ride a cart unless the golf course is designed unfriendly for walking.

I’m currently using a push cart, Clicgear 3.5 . My next cart would be a follow me cart as I told my wife that’ll be the one I’d like to have while I can still walk the golf course.

Several things I had been considering. as we do have hilly terrain around here so a golf cart with good traction is a must. The ability to last 36 holes + for one full charge. after sales support as I envision more gadgets = more maintenance. I’m still debating on the lithium battery because my family believes not to poison the earth if we could help it. Lithium is highly toxic and none degradable. All the talks about recycling the lithium battery is but, talks only.
I will use the good old man power as long as I could.

2 Likes