Electric push carts (trolleys)

I love to walk the course when I play and have become intrigued by the number of electric trolley/pushcarts on the market now. I’d be interested in hearing recommendations (or horror stories) from my fellow walkers out there on this topic.

2 Likes

I don’t have one myself, but have played a number of rounds with golfers who have the latest models. Their feedback is all overwhelmingly positive. The tech has improved dramatically (the first models were really ugly/expensive/clunky). It seems like this category is really taking off now, which is good news because I hope it gets more people to walk the course!

1 Like

I really want to try them for myself. I believe a lot of the best ones come from the UK where they are much more the normal. Motocaddy is seemingly the biggest and trying to get more of a presence in the US.

1 Like

For two years now I’ve been using a QOD, made in Australia. Its pretty bare-bones, no remote, no follow, but I’ve used one with a remote and found it to be distracting. One of the primary attractions was the size, the unit folds up to about the size of a case of long-neck beers, so it fits easily in my trunk. Support has been good, battery life is great.

My wife has a Cart Tek, with remote, and has been very happy too. She previously had a BatCaddy, which turned out to be unreliable.
4 Likes

At Mt Osmond GC there is a really deep man made lake with steep concrete walls used to store water to irrigate the course. Someone didn’t turn off their electric buggy properly and it went through the rope and into lake with wallet car keys and mobile. The guy dived in and retrieved his wallet floating on the surface but then couldn’t get out without help.The water level was too low to reach the ladder. He had to get a diver with scuba gear to come out to retrieve his clubs. I have seen another upend in a bunker. Lots of people use them here because the course is hilly and steep in a few places. One older lady dropped to 9 hole membership as it was too much for her body to bear. Then she got an electric buggy and can play 18 holes again. They are good but make sure you turn them off properly

4 Likes

One more reason I didn’t want a trolley with a remote control. I KNOW I’d have driven mine into a pond or creek or some other bad place by now.

3 Likes

They ones that came a cropper on my course were the push button or dial to start stop. Thought they had turned it off. Turned to take a shot and gone!

1 Like

Did you decide which one you’re going to get? I saw your tweet and now I’m intrigued. The Stewart x9 follow is very tempting but also very expensive. Heard some questionable things about the forecaddy and their customer service, so that’s out. Now it’s a question of whether the follow system is worth another $1,000 over the mgi or the motocaddy. Decisions decisions!

1 Like

I ended up getting the top of the line model from Bat Caddy, the X8R. It was expensive, but what the hell. You only live once and I got a pretty good deal on Black Friday. I’ve been practicing with it in the backyard in preparation for the first round of golf this coming Monday. I think I’m gonna be pretty happy with it. Good luck with your research and your eventual purchase.

4 Likes

Not yet. Initially, I was looking at the one from Foresight but saw the X9, MGI, and Motocaddy. You’re right, a lot of decisions!!!

1 Like

Electric trolleys can be seen in most four balls in England. I got a basic ex rental Motocaddy S1 with 36hole battery for about £250 couple of years ago. Never looked back! The freedom of walking the course without the weight on your back, or effort to push a push-trolley up hills is so liberating!

Do it!

1 Like

Oh man, time again for one of my favorite golf stories… Hole 8 of the Valley Club in Hailey, ID. It’s a short par 4 with water all up the right side… back in 2004, I lived up there with my mom and we played golf pretty much every day that summer… Mornings were usually super cold, so we didn’t book the first tee times… she and I could easily walk the course in under 3 hours.

One fine day, we found ourselves behind a foursome of dude-bros. They were slow, they were gambling… more importantly they wouldn’t let us play through. They were also walking, with one guy having a remote control cart. Par 3 6th, we waited… Par 5 7th, we waited… We hit the par 4 8th, and the guy with the remote control golf cart is on his phone and not playing golf…

All of the sudden, his cart starts heading towards the water from the far side of the fairway. His playing partners don’t notice. My mom and I, waiting patiently on the tee do notice… My mom is an old school southern “lady”, so she’s both polite and knows how to do the loud, shrill whistle… she puts her fingers to her mouth, and I stop her. At this point the cart is about 10 feet from the water, and the guy finally notices. He gets out his remote and is frantically trying to stop it…

Eventually, it does stop. In 2 feet of water. They let us play through. We played the back in under 90 minutes.

3 Likes

I surrendered today. Went with the Costco deal on the mgi navigator at (all terrain). Very excited. Now tempted to get the titleist midsize tour bag. I saw some pictures today of the combo and it looks so perfect.

3 Likes

I think I’m choosing between the MGI and Motocaddy. Hope you like it!

3 Likes

Me too!

I’ll report back :innocent:

1 Like

Good luck Ty. I hope you like it. I’m fired up for the maiden run of mine on Monday.

3 Likes

I recently purchased the 2021 MGI Navigator and have used it for about 8 rounds now. Previously I had a Bag Boy Quad push car. Having the electric push cart has made a big difference in that I am less tired near the end of the round. I purchased it online and it came with a free upgraded 36 hole battery and other extras. The battery in both the cart and remote are great. I do recharge both after one round so I don’t know if they will last through 36 holes without recharging but I can say at the end of 18 holes there is plenty of charge left in both.

I don’t like the beverage holder that attaches to it as my hydroflask bottle if full falls out of the holder when it hits any slight bump. I keep mine in my bag now. Also bought the storage cooler bag from Amazon which fits onto it nicely.

I was told by the rep for the online seller that the Motocaddy was trying to mimic the MGI but that because it is manufactured in Australia there were supply issues. Not sure if that would cause any issues if one has a problem with the unit after purchase and needs a repair.

I also looked at the x9. Stewart Golf has a new model, the Q follow but it is not available in the US yet. Was told that it would be available around Easter but with the pandemic I’m not sure how realistic that is. That was a very strong contender and I would have bought that if it were available.

2 Likes

So on my birthday my honey surprised me with a big, heavy box – an MGI Zip Navigator!!!

Now I’ve always enjoyed, and prefer, walking my rounds with a push cart … latest one is a Bag Boy Quad XL, highly recommended fyi … and we’d kinda joked no electric carts until I’m 70 (5 yrs from now) … so this really was a big surprise!

Have not yet had a chance to test it out … maybe within the next week? … but I promise not to be yakking on my cellphone not paying attention to the cart trundling off in the opposite direction towards a pond :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Great story @Craigers!!!

3 Likes

Had my first outing with the mgi zip navigator today. I also got myself a titleist staff bag. I was going to get the midsize but then I found a great deal on a full size one on eBay. It’s awesome. I played very early today. Out at 7:00 this morning. Made it 13 holes before the rain and then got very wet. The remote is so great. The only thing it can’t do for you is bring you your putter.

4 Likes

Glad it’s a hit. I have about 4 rounds in with Bat Caddy and really like it!

1 Like