Electric push carts (trolleys)

Have had my MGI Zip Navigator out for a few rounds now; really liking it! A quick plus and minus …

• can control it via remote or by the central speed knob plus gentle steering
  • does not accommodate a stand bag very well (or without doing some add’l modification)
1 Like

I’ve seen a few negative comments out there about the bag attachment mechanism. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Depends on your cart/trolley and your bag… In my case, I had been using a light stand bag with my regular/manual push cart but had to change to a cart bag with my particular electric cart.

Not sure about other models but it does seem to be more common (to require a cart bag). Once set in place, though, the bag on mine stays put … and that’s with plenty of bumping and sidehill, up and down curbs, etc.

1 Like

Was thinking of picking up an electric trolley. Any advice from current users? Regrets?

I have seen the basic MG1 X1 for only about $600. Not sure if it is worth spending $1K for the extra features like swiveling wheel, downhill speed control and brake? Pretty sure I don’t want to go higher for one with a remote, but maybe it’s worth it?

I walk my course most of the time, but it is very hilly, especially on the back 9, and I wouldn’t mind some help. I don’t want to spend the equivalent of my membership on a cart, but I don’t want to cheap out too much and have something that’s annoying to use.

1 Like

I’m starting year #2 with my X8R BatCaddy electric cart. I have been very happy with the product and, yes, I did get a seat and a remote (plus a lot of other accessories) with mine. The remote is a game-changer. It makes the cart easy to control, maneuver, and stop. I wouldn’t recommend getting an electric trolley without one. By the way, the seat really comes in handy on my hilly course.

2 Likes

It’s a shame, no kids want to be a caddy in the Summertime. The “professional” caddies we have in a few selected golf courses around here,cost more than most the golfers wish to spend beyond the green fees.
I’d really prefer a caddy instead of cart. However, the push carts ( self propelled or not ) will be closest I’ll get by walking the golf course without a real caddy.
The only concern is the extra weight from the motor and the battery. Difficult for my wife to lift it to the back of the SUV. The newer lithium battery powered golf carts will reduce a lot of the weight but at a higher purchasing price and replacement cost.

1 Like

Definitely go with lithium due to weight and life of battery. Costs a little more, but worth it.

4 Likes

We were also eyeballing the feature of “tracking/follow”, which will add another 30-40% of the cost but I believe it’ll be worth it. Looking into the maintenance / reliability issue now.

2 Likes

Good luck with your research and eventual purchase. I would be surprised if you could find a “tracking/following” trolley that’s only 30-40% higher than what I paid for my BatCaddy. though.

2 Likes

Yes it looks like at least another 50% more. The MG1 X1 looks decent at about $600, but it doesn’t have the swivel front wheel or parking brake which would put me in the $1000 X5. For remote control or more I’d probably need to go $1500. Or maybe I just eat better and exercise more and keep pushing my Tri-swivel cart lol.

2 Likes

I am still using my QOD, after more than three years. I’m happy with the unit, and really happy with their customer service. These aren’t the cheapest units out there, and remote control is not available. I found using a remote to be distracting, so I’m happy not to have it. The QOD folds up really small, so it fits with my clubs in the back of my little car.

2 Likes

I’m with you on that last part, Kevomanc. But, as an inveterate 3-wheel cart pusher for years, since I’ve gotten my electric trolley, I’ll never push again.

2 Likes

It depends on what you’ll be comparing with. We compared the fully loaded electric cart with remote and auto setting with the one that has the "follow/stop) feature. Both were lithium battery powered.
One without goes as high as $1800 and the one with starting at $2200.
I believe the price tag will come down eventually with the manufacturer gained sales volume.
If we get rid of the middle men, probably looking at $1500-$1600 range.
Still quite a bite into our golf budget, not mention probably have to get my wife one.
Golf courses should consider rental probability besides the riding cart. I would rent one with reasonable fee, no maintenance and not transporting to and from the golf course; we would go for the rental,if they can offer reasonable rental fee. It is also cheaper to purchase/lease and do maintenance on the power push cart than the riding cart. Surprised no one really looked into this "revenue generator ".

2 Likes

IMHO it is waaaay worth it! You can still drive the cart by the handle but having the hands free option is great - eg. you can grab your putter and walk to the green while you send your cart towards the next tee.

1 Like

I think you need a GPS model for that? I have to admit that does look pretty cool though. My buddy just bought a manual MG1 X5 so I will probably wait until we get playing here to see how it works out for him. Our course is not always the easiest walk from green to next tee so letting a cart go on its own may be asking for trouble.

1 Like

free up your hands to have a sip from your thermo, finish the banana or apple, the half power bar…
It depends on one’s intended budget, $500 could mean a seasonal pass for some of the Muni golf course ( senior rate, likely ).
The very basic electric push cart could be had for under $500 if you shop around. I bought one for one of my client 9 years ago with remote for $700 ( regular battery, twin motor ). it’s heavier but, technology improved quite a bit in 8-9 years.

1 Like

No… from the remote you steer, control speed and can stop … but you do have to keep an eye on where the cart is headed!! …have heard stories of guys driving it into a water hazard… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

These seem to be pretty common in Scotland, but they have much more of a walking culture than we do in the States. If I remember right, a normal 3 wheel trolley rents for about 5 pounds, and the bare bones powered trolley was maybe 15 pounds. But these were at courses with 90% or more of the players walking. I just don’t know if the demand would make it worthwhile in our country.

3 Likes

Oh, also - if/when you do get one … practice driving it in the yard at home first!! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Of course. We can’t blame the terrain for less walkers here. I know for a fact in most part of the Asia with golf courses built in the mountains , still have close to 100% golfer walking the golf course. A few hole I had encountered with more than 100’ elevation to the next tee box have this amazing flat escalator moving the golfers up the hillside, caddies walked the steep walkway with their power cart. I thought I was in the airport or a department store…
30 pounds for rental is probably not going to work well here, typically in my region, cart fee will be $40 with double occupants, and single rider pays $30. Manual push/pull cart is $15-$18.
Of course the golf course will promote riding carts whenever they could, for one, the extra income, secondly, they believe it’ll speed up the playing pace.
I’d say, for the difficult payout, demand a valid handicap index to allow play. They do this in many parts of the world, so the beginner will stay on the practice range or the executive golf course until they could advance the golf ball to be let onto the regulation golf course.
Again, that is the solution but probably not going to work here neither.
I understand for those golf courses built with development in the first place and golf course second might have the need to ride a golf cart; I just refuse to golf at those courses.

1 Like