Drinking on the Golf Course

So I’ll preface this that I enjoy drinking. A nice beer, a glass of wine, the occasional cocktail, all good things in my book. For the past 3 months or so though, I haven’t had a single drink out on the course and I think that is going to stay the norm. I don’t need it to calm my nerves out there, it certainly doesn’t improve my play at all, and at the end of the day alcohol and moderately strenuous physical activity (I’m a walker) don’t really mix. Nothing against anyone else who does drink while playing (at least in moderation, some people really need to know their limits), but just wanted to bring up the topic. So any thoughts? Any other tee time teetotalers out there?

I maybe drink a few beers a few times a year while playing. Typically only on buddy golf trips. So maybe 5 rounds out of the 250 a year I typically play.

I like beer & wine, but not much of a drinker on the course. I don’t think it helps my play much either

Alcohol (in moderation) will help me when my round has gone south… I’m bad at moderation, so I try not to drink!

2 Likes

Usually play during the week so no.

If it’s a Saturday round though I am housing beers.

1 Like

With my buddies from home I’ll drink quite a bit…in league, 3 or so…if I’m playing to score, no more than 4, or I loose focus.

1 Like

I try and avoid drinking on the course at all costs. My play only goes down if I do.

I also find I really enjoy an ice cold beer immediately after the 18th hole so much more if I am patient and wait for it.

1 Like

When I played in league we did consume beers after the rounds. Depending on play it could have been 1-2 maybe more depending on lots.

These days I only consume water…

2 Likes

I’m not big into drinking so I actually have never drank on the course.

I don’t drink at all anyway, but I do bring a “near beer” in my cooler for the last hole.

2 Likes

I very rarely have a drink on the course, but I do enjoy a beer or two afterwards. On occasion, if the bev cart comes by when I’m on 16 or 17 I’ll get one to finish the round with, but that’s about the extent of it. I’m pretty lucky, my wife doesn’t drink. We drive to the course together most weekends, so I drive out, I have a few beers after playing, and she drives home.

1 Like

I don’t think there is anything more satisfying than a post-round beer. Especially if you played well!

5 Likes

I play in a 9-hole after work league where I’ll have a couple of light beers on the course. I don’t drink during weekend rounds as we play earlier. If it is a later round then maybe a light beer on the back 9. Mostly just drinks after the round, but there’s even less of that since turning 50. My stomach can’t seem to handle much alcohol or bad food now…and yet I’m still not losing weight lol.

Most of my rounds are at Dawn and done by 10:30 am, so I’m normally getting my 2nd cup of coffee when I get home. I would occasionally bring a flask, but the guys I play with don’t drink on the course so that’s also become my norm as of late.

However, if I’m playing a scramble or an after-work quick round in a cart, it’s hard not to have a beer or 4.

1 Like

I’m with you CoryO. I don’t like to drink on the course and often have to “stick to my guns” when the beverage cart comes around and the guys in my group get offended when I decline to partake.

I get very sad when I see guys head straight to the car from the 18th green knowing they’ve had 5-6 beers on the back 9–or, worse, see them wobbling to their car after another hour at the bar drinking and watching football.

If I was a “moms against drunk driving” advocate I’d write to cops and tell them to sit outside the gates of the local country club.

It’s really a problem we don’t talk enough about as a golf community.

4 Likes

Working at golf courses all through high school and starting university left me with plenty of stories, some funny, some very much not funny.

Don’t generally drink on the course, especially during tournament play. However, with my regular foursome, they like to take shots for birdies. Needless to say we usually don’t have to take too many shots, but then there are days we need an Uber. Luckily this is only once in a blue moon. It does eventually slow the birdies down. Hahahaha

I usually knock back one on the back nine especially here in hot SoCal. At this point in my life, I don’t think alcohol is going to make a difference one way or another on the state of my game ;).

What I have noticed about myself though is that I am at a high end, play it once type of course, I definitely won’t drink until after the round. I want to fully enjoy the golf and (usually) my host and then pick up a round or two after. If I am playing a beater course, I’m definitely more inclined to imbibe.

I’m not much of a drinker to begin with. I enjoy a nice red and slap me if I don’t like a Strawberry Lemonade Truly, but I’ve never had a drink while playing golf in my 24 years playing the game. I’m too competitive to let anything get in the way of performing my best, though I’ve had plenty of rounds I wish I could blame on booze.

Those lemonade Trulys are dangerous. If it was a hot day out of the course, I might drink one a hole, so good thing I save them until after the round.

1 Like