Drinking on the Golf Course

I don’t drink on the course but as long as everyone stays sober and not stumbling all over themselves I don’t see any problem with it. A good shot of Jack D.,and 1 or 2 beers at the 19th are always welcoming especially when I play with Friends and family!

1 Like

Kentucky is weird in that we have incorporated cities… So I “live” in both Louisville and Prospect, and each has it’s own mayor and police force… My club is also in Prospect.

Legend has it that 20 years ago, or so, the club and the city were in a fight over something, so the mayor basically had the police park outside the gates and pull over anyone driving a golf cart and Breathalyzer them… Whatever issue the club had was dropped.

When I used to drink, I tended not to drink on the golf course… I didn’t find the two mixed all that well… If I posted a bad front nine, I’d occasionally have some drinks on the back 9… sometimes they’d loosen me up for a better back…I would never have that much…

I used to love drinking and bowling, though! A few drinks in, and I was a much better bowler… then it went steadily down hill.

1 Like

Coffee for me! Although I would enjoy a beer on those really hot days, I’ve never seen a beer cart on the course I play, going back to the bar at the clubhouse would really interrupt my round. Maybe afterward!

2 Likes

I enjoy drinking beers during a round (unless it’s a special event I’m not having a ton of them).

Normal weekend morning rounds don’t usually have drinking, but absolutely on a Friday afternoon

1 Like

I enjoy a drink but rarely on the course. In the same way I wouldn’t have a beer in the gym, it just doesn’t compute to me.

That said…couple years ago, family holiday in Riviera Cancun, went out for solo early round. Tee off about 07.30 or something stupid. Got paired up with a NYPD cop. Loaded the cart up with the all inclusive beers, and topped up on the way round. We started about 08.30 with a Corona. Kev says ‘Breakfast!’. What a hoot. Great round, totally smashed, wouldn’t wholly recommend it as a regular thing. An English guy (he says to differentiate from my Scottish roots) - business exec, head up his own a$$, low handicapper, super serious, playing off the tips - catches up and joins us on the 9th. He wasn’t impressed by us, couple of working class p|$$ artists! Laughed so much. Chipped in on the 18th! Played with that guy again later in the week. Maybe only had 1-2 beers that round… :smile:

2 Likes

If I’m playing at an all-inclusive resort, I’ll most certainly be drinking out on the course. It’s like over eating at a buffet, you gotta get your money’s worth.

1 Like

Coffee & Baileys for the pre-dawn chills?

1 Like

This tourney I played in last week had open bar at the clubhouse, 5th tee comfort station and 14th tee comfort station, plus all sorts of snacks. I will say when the round was going the wrong direction, a cocktail can loosen you up and help you play some good golf (hence my 45-35 80 in the first round), but also had a partner that over-indulged and got a double or triple crown every time, and his game definitely suffered.

2 Likes

Bumping this to point out, though I’m sure you all already are aware, that booze dehydrates you. Not a big deal most times, but it was 95 degrees during my round Monday, with 50 percent humidity. I didn’t drink alcohol, wore a long brim hat and had good sunscreen on, drank plenty of coconut water and Gatorade lite, and still damn near got heat stroke. (Had my last beverage at 16, and I was feeling it on 18 bad. Naturally it was my only par that day, LOL. I should be delirious, evidently.)

Anyway, God knows I’ve gotten pretty bombed on a golf course—bringing a couple of bottles of wine for everyone will do that—but I don’t do it this time of year.

COVID seems to have killed off the cart girls anyway. One more thing to get angry at this disease for.