DECADE v Golfmetrics v Arrcos v other tools

Would love feedback on this. I have the Arrcos sensors but haven’t used them yet. I have read a lot of horror stories about user issues with Arrcos and ease of use is a primary concern of mine. Could people comment on their experience with these tools. A big concern is that the group(s) I play with wouldn’t take kindly to a lot of fooling around with my smartphone between shots while playing so the self-gathering of data is good thing. Excuse ignorance here but what I’ve seened on line isn’t terribly helpful.

1 Like

Long time Arccos user (over 200 rounds 13K shots) and few problems. I usually check my phone after the first or second hole after that on autopilot. A couple of exceptions you will need to log penalties and if you use the Apple Watch app which I recommend tap to identify the hole location. After the round review to do any possible cleanup but rare for me. Biggest objections are having the phone in your pocket. I have read lots of negative comments but I think it’s mostly user error! Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I have been using ShotScope for abut 4 years, and really like it. I’d like to hear about others’ experience with the Decades program. I’m a high handicapper (+20) so am not sure it would be for me. Thanks.

2 Likes

Also a Shot Scope user. Bought it at Jon’s recommendation on his website. Very easy to use and would fit perfectly to eliminate your worry about your playing partners. You turn on your watch, it picks up the course you are on, select GPS + Track and start playing. The only thing you do is punch the number of putts you made to get it in the hole and move to the next tee. I really don’t know if it could get any easier. And if you don’t track your putts you can go back and edit your round afterwards.

5 Likes

Yes, I’m very susceptible to “User Error”

1 Like

I have used Decade, Arrcos, Nova, and golf mertrics. Golf metrics is by far the easiest. Simply enter distance on shot and lie and move on to the next one. Very little if any post round edit and takes about 30 secs per hole to just enter on phone. Doesn’t do the deep dive like decade or arrcos but gives SG just the same.

2 Likes

Agreed - I used Decade and it was great intro to SG (and came with the ability to watch the videos). Once I got through that, I switched to golfmetrics. Very easy to use/assess.

1 Like

I have had Arccos for 2 seasons and it works pretty well in general but putts are fairly manual. The nice thing with the latest app on Android anyway is that it shows where you walked on the green, so I can usually figure out where the pin was and how long my putts were. I always go back after the round to reconcile my scores and very rarely do I have to add a shot besides a putt or a penalty. To me the biggest downside is subscription cost, I think it’s up to 155/year now and I can only play in reasonable weather for about 6 months. I am strongly considering moving to shot scope since the overall metrics seem every bit as good, and it seems to be just as automatic. Not sure how much I would miss the arccos caddy function, it’s quite good at recommending clubs to me to adjust for wind and other factors.

2 Likes

I have been using Arcoss for 8 years at least. The statistics it provides will definitely help your game if you take advantage of it. Always take a spare scorecard just for myself when I play. I make notes on it and don’t worry about editing my phone during the round. That can all be done afterwards. The phone does give you some great options during the round though. Not just the GPS and factoring in the wind, but actually knows how far you hit each club and will make a suggestion for you and it’s right most of the time for me! I have well over 200 rounds on mine and the statistics it has provided me and to watch my game progress has been fantastic. Like any piece of technology, you will have an issue from time to time but it’s not big and usually you can fix it especially once you learn how to work it. I absolutely love the system and can’t imagine playing without it. That is my personal experience.

6 Likes

Welcome! I’ve not tried Arccos—despite having a club with the sensor on it—but it sounds like it works great for you.

I’ll have to do a deeper dive into which one works better for me. Certainly the strokes gained data is extremely useful.

2 Likes

I’ve honed in on the ShotScope V2 watch. It seems to do what I want, without the price tag of the latest and greatest. If you or anyone else has thoughts on that, please respond ie, if there have been issues or non-performance, difficult to use etc.

1 Like

Not sure exactly “what you want”…but if it is just a quick gps to use while golfing (not shot tracking or strokes gained)…I recently won a Garmin s10 at a tournament (I think they retail for like $150). It’s very comfortable and great for a quick glance to check front/middle/back and see hazards. It does have a way to track shot distance if you want too, but I’ve not used it.

Love it…no fuss, no muss. No downloading courses,etc. I don’t wear a watch normally, but this looks nice enough that I might.

Only 1 complaint. I play at the crack of dawn and it doesn’t have a backlight…which is difficult for the first hole sometimes :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Not sure what they’re selling for currently, but the V3 is a big improvement and worth the extra $ imho … especially considering it’s a one time purchase, and not a continuing annual subscription.

You also get free course updates, watch firmware updates and very responsive customer support.

As others have mentioned it’s requires very little interaction during play - only the “Pin Collect”, a 1 button function - to mark the location of the pin plus your total # of putts.

Very accurate gps distances to greens and hazards.

You also get lots of stats and analyses … including Strokes Gained for different facets of your game - and you can switch comparisons to different handicap levels … in both the smartphone app and the web-based “Dashboard”.

2 Likes

I’m on season 3 of my ShotScope V3 and I find the battery doesn’t last 36 holes any more. Not usually a problem as I rarely play that much at one time, but it happens.

I’ve been so happy with this product that if it dies tomorrow I’ll buy another one. It’s just over $200 and to me that’s well worth it even if I only got two seasons out of it.

2 Likes

I’ve logged over 200 rounds in Arccos the past 2 years and I love it. I’ve seen all the complaints and I don’t have them. I’ve had maybe 1-2 rounds that were a hassle. It’s usually because the course is in a place without great cell service. I played a new course yesterday where I couldn’t use it (no satellite images available yet) and boy did I miss it.

One surprising benefit nobody ever talks about, is that I’ve I’m looking for a ball, I can look at my arccos, and see how far I am from my last shot to have a better idea where my ball might be. You guys that hit fairways all the time probably don’t know what I’m talking about. :wink:

3 Likes

That is a huge benefit for me also. Just knowing about how far from the last shot I am is has made a huge difference in my ability to find balls that would otherwise go lost. I’ve forgotten my phone in the car a couple of times since picking up Arccos and I feel totally naked on those rounds.

Just need to decide if I stick with Arccos again next year or make the jump to Shotscope for a couple of bucks more but no recurring charges. I’m also getting nervous that my sensors are now going on 3 years old and might start dying. I don’t play a ton of rounds each year, but I still have no idea how long to expect them to last other than understanding they say to expect at least 2 years out of them. Do the Shotscope tags also have limited life to them and anyone have an idea how long they usually last?

3 Likes

Shotscope tags don’t have a battery in them. They can last as long as they are in good condition. After a bit less than 2 years mines are ok. They are slowly getting thinner as they grind in the bottom of the bag. But the tags numbers are still visible so I probably have a good number of years until they spoil.

1 Like

A reminder: you must take at least one practice swing prior to your shot to trigger the watch to record the shot location. Stats provided are great: FIR, GIR, etc.

1 Like

Glad it worked out for you Todd!

Anyone tried upgame golf?