DECADE v Golfmetrics v Arrcos v other tools

Ive been using an app called golfpad, which is pretty inexpensive and has alot of the same features of the big dogs including shot tracking via phone, smartwatch or tags for each club for auto tracking. My only hangup with it is that, although it has strokes gained data it does not allow you to compare yourself to players of different skill levels like some of the others.

Seems like the big 3 have better user interfaces and game improvement features to be able to break down statistics into granular usable data.

Well, after I got my R10 I went all in on Garmin and bought an Epix2 for my smart golf watch. Now I’m on the fence between manual club entry, the 3 sensor set for short game clubs, and a full set like I had with arccos. I’ve read varying accounts of Garmin not providing full stats unless you have the CT10s, but I’m still not sure if that’s just because many people won’t manually enter the club data or if the function only really turns on if you buy a sensor for that club/range of clubs. Anyone have any insight? I currently use 4 wedges, so a 3 sensor setup for short game insight might not cover me anyway if they are required

TIA!

Another long-time Arccos user here. I’ve never had anyone even notice much less complain about “fooling around” with my phone. I use the gps frequently, same as laser. Gets me info I need quick to get on with it. I play fairly fast and I’m never agonizing over shots.
I agree with @Dive449, I spot-check esp if there’s a backup on the next tee but otherwise autopilot.
I must say, I have a different view than most when it comes to carrying the phone. I’ve heard many say that carrying their phone is a non-starter. Not me. I use a holster that clips to my belt in the small of my back, a la Captain Kirk.

Works great, not in the way and still tracks shots fine. I can still whip it out readily for gps. What I dislike is having a big ol’ clunking watch on when I’m getting my glove on and trying to swing. To each their own.
I did get a Link when it first came out. I use it to tag hole location on the green (single button press), simpler than futzing with the phone. I still carry my phone though.
I do an After Action Report post-round and there’s the odd dropped shot I have to add but the point is After not During.

2 Likes

I’ve used a bunch of different sensors over the years…currently using Arccos for the last 4 or 5 years. It’s been great. Very few needs for corrections, but there are some. Someone mentioned having to carry your phone in your pocket (it needs to hear the sound of the club hitting the ball to register). That can also be done via an Apple Watch, or you can get their additional sensor/belt clip. I use the apple phone and it works great. You do have to manually enter penalty shots and once in a while it misses a shot here and there…but, I always review my round after I play so find it pretty fresh in my mind when I have to correct something. That said, the data and post-round analysis is absolutely awesome! Breaks your game down into driving, approach irons, short game (inside 50 yards), and putting, suggesting where you need to improve and how to do it…it keeps getting better and better. My only two gripes: If you chip from off the green with a putter (on the fringe using a putter is still considered a chip), it’ll just read it as a putt since you’re using your putter and no way to change it to a chip without entering one of your wedges…second, the screw in sensors…takes focus to not include that section has an extension of the club and try to grip it…minor and you get used to it, but others with sensors have similar issues…

I agree with you. I played with it for 2 seasons now and it works great. I love the data and now with new the new apple watch update, it looks to me even better.

1 Like

Honestly a system like DECADE can help pretty much any level of golfer, and as as percentage of improvement may be able to help higher caps more than those single digits.

I’m a long time shotscope user too and I love it.

1 Like

I have just recently started using the X5 ShotScope and I really like it. It took a while to get it working properly as I needed mulitple firmware updates, as I assume is normal with any new launch. Now that it is working I am excited to see what it looks like when I have enough data in there to start picking out patterns.

2 Likes

So funny story, i got my X2 about two months before the X3 came out and I held out for years expecting a new version (X5) to be right around the corner. I got the X3 later that month the X5 came out.

I got the Garmin S62 watch for my birthday and added their club sensors. I don’t do anything as i’m playing except look at my watch for the yardage that I have in front of me and at the end of the hole I verify the strokes I took. Usually it is accurate unless I hit an extra shot. At the end of the round I sometimes go in and check all the data to verify it is correct. Rarely do I have to adjust it. The user interface is the watch, my phone stays in the cart. Plus I get a map of the course, the yardages to all of the obstacles, a virtual caddy that will select the club for the distance i’m facing (though I rarely use it).
It also collects all of stroke data, total carry of every hit, fairways hit, GIR, keeps a handicap. And it compares my numbers to others using the system. Shows my average misses for all of my clubs. Super helpful with training.

I am thinking of retracting this statement as my X5 is currently not even picking up sattelite connection. The last 2 rounds it has “timed out” after looking for the connection for up to 10 minutes. I live on a totally different golf course and tried it in my yard as well and nothing. I have done the whole power down, power up drill. It is fully charged when trying, and the firmware is up to date. Shotscope support hopefully can give me a fix, but very frustrated with it.

It is a real shame because I think (when it works), the system is great. The online portal gives me an easy look at my stats how I want to see them, and I have gotten used to editing rounds pretty quickly.

I’ve seen others have issues with the X5, my old v2 was prefect except the big face and shorter battery. Hopefully they just need to update the firmware.