Club you can't hit!

Just curious, what are your thoughts, when you don’t hit a particular club, or type of club, well? Do you abandon it, or stubbornly try to learn to hit it well?

1 Like

I have a 4 wood that I cannot hit. I could hit it at one time and now I’ve lost the ability. I think it’s because the shaft flex is wrong…I bought it when my swing wasn’t as good as it is now.

I’ve stopped using it and will be replacing it.

Plenty of people swear by hybrids, I have a couple that sit in my garage. I hit my 5 iron stock 195 so I don’t really struggle for distance. Some people use it for extra height for easier landing on greens. My iron game is my strong point so I never made a point to learn these hybrids. They feel uncomfortable to me so I don’t use them. If I couldn’t hit a long iron either I would have to figure out one or the other. People that stop using their driver are just robbing themselves of distance and should learn how to be confident and use the club.

1 Like

Long irons. That’s why I carry a 5 Wood for the 3 iron and hybrids for the 4 and 5 Irons.

1 Like

All of them, depending on the day and round.

6 Likes

Drop it like a bad habit haha. I flip stuff on eBay often to play around with diff clubs. Never really hit hybrids well and I hit fairway woods good so I’ve learned a lot about myself through trial and error.

3 Likes

I have a couple different answers, as I’m difficult!

Bad fit: I can’t hit heavily counter balanced shafts… the popular hazardous shaft is unplayable for me… I literally can’t hit it. I’ve stopped trying. It’s just a bad fit… give up and move on. Other clubs fall into this category, but the counter balanced shaft was the first in my mind… I don’t need to be able to play it, so I don’t.

Bad match: I could probably hit a high lofted hybrid… but I already play a ton of spin and loft… I could play one but won’t bother…

Other than that, I think we just get into mediocre fits. I can hit a 2 iron. I have the speed and I’m a decent ball striker… I see no benefit in doing so, so I don’t… I’d rather the forgiveness and launch of a hybrid.

If you can’t hit a club, figure out why… it might just not suit your game and that’s fine!

2 Likes

Right now, my new driver :frowning:

1 Like

Hate when that happens…hope you get it figured out quick!

I used to be able to hit 3w off the deck, great 3 irons etc. Now the lowest club I can hit with any consistency is a 7i. Recently I hit a tree in my follow thru and snapped my 7 iron. I hit some good 6 iron shots while it was getting fixed but now I have my 7 iron back that is my go to club. The change happened when my swing path changed to in to out fixing my fade/slice making me draw/hook my shots. This change gave me more distance compensating me for the lost art of hitting the 3i off the deck. Clubs are still in the bag for tee shots or to play low running shots out of trees when I need to keep under branches. I admit defeat.

good news is 50% of the time it works all the time :slight_smile:

It’s either great or awful, so I know it’s in there somewhere

1 Like

I have a hybrid that I just can’t get the hang of. Massive snap hook every time - a shot shape that barely features elsewhere in my game. I’ll avoid using it on the course now, so may well look to move it on.

I bought it to plug the gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron, and am tempted to sell it and get a 5 wood instead.

1 Like

Yes, both – abandon it for that round and go work on that club on the range.

Remember… as much as we like to think of our clubs as cunning, deceptive and manipulative little monsters :wink: … they really are in actuality the exact same lump of cold metal day to day; so… it’s US that change and can one day / cannot the next day hit any particular club…

2 Likes

Totally agree with this. The only thing I don’t like about my home club is the range, which is limited to hitting no further than 150 yards (as it’s so small) - so I don’t get to work on my woods/hybrids unfortunately.

Hopefully next year I’ll find a bit more time to visit a proper driving range more regularly.

1 Like

I have the same issue often times with my 4 hybrid. I’m convinced that it is the draw bias…so I’ve started using a weaker grip with the hybrid and thinking “smooth” with my stroke. Sometimes it works…lol…

1 Like

My “other” club I can’t it…3 wood. At one point in my teen years is was my favorite club…it won’t even see the bag now…and definitely is banished from the course.

2 Likes

My putter.
I am fine from 100 yards but anything inside 10 feet is a crap shoot.

1 Like

3 Wood.
Bane of my existence. It’s a beaut, and when I actually connect and hit clean, it GOES.
That said, it stays in my bag unless my lie is perfect.

3 Likes

Big difference. If it’s a type of club I agree with @cksurfdude, @CeeWhiz and others: stow it ‘til the range. If it’s a particular club (especially if ‘nearby’ clubs work ok) try to determine why it’s not working. Grip? Shaft weight, flex? Lie angle (check!)? For example, I have an ancient TM Burner 3w I can make sing, but with a newer model I struggle. Same everything except the ‘old’ model has a smooth, pan-shaped sole; newer model has speed slot, all manner of cosmetic cavities, etc. I suspect the new version grabs just a bit off the deck whereas the old version collects the ball and gently glides over the turf (both fine off tee). Point is, there might be something simple making that club ‘particular’. If not, as @CeeWhiz says there’s always eBay!

Of course, I could simply be ‘mental’:crazy_face:

Good luck and hope this helps!

3 Likes

Yes, I have 3 different 3 woods, all fine off the tee. But the only one I ever seem to hit on the fairway, is an old Big Bertha Warbird my sister leant me. It has a tall face compared to the others, as I top my clubs generally, that might be the difference, more club face vertically to catch the ball.

3 Likes