At Home Simulators

Who has an at home simulator setup? What did you go with? How much space are you using? If you’re comfortable, how much did you spend? Did you go full cage and screen or did you get creative and are balling on a budget?

I’m looking at hooking a SkyTrak up to flatscreen in my garage and hitting into a net I already have and using a mat I already have. Thoughts?

3 Likes

That setup is what I have. I moved an old, mostly-working TV into the garage to have a bigger picture, but I just run the SkyTrak off my laptop. I hit into a net. To be sure, I’d love a full screen setup, but it’s not really in the cards for me right now.

For practice, I don’t see any downside to this. There are games that you can buy for SkyTrak where you try to hit to specific targets (killing zombies, breaking windows, etc.) that I think would be very difficult without a screen, but for just working on your game, I don’t feel like I’m losing anything with the barebones setup.

2 Likes

Maybe we need to start a new topic on “how to make enough money to have an at home simulator” - I’m jealous of all that have it!

10 Likes

I have SkyTrak with The Golf Club 2019 and a 12’ x 8’ screen/cage from Carl’s. Total cost was ~$5k including a computer I built myself (you need a good graphics card to run simulator software) and other accessories like a mat and flooring.

My setup is in a basement with a 9’ ceiling, but I had to have someone shorten and reinforce a few ceiling joists so I could swing my driver with confidence of not hitting.

I’m pretty happy with the setup and the big screen is great for watching football!

1 Like

And worth noting - I started with just the SkyTrak, an old laptop, and a net.

How did this go?

I’m hoping to run the skytrak to a nice flatscreen or will that not work?

1 Like

Here is my setup (and SkyTrak review)

1 Like

Another popular one would be “how to convince your wife to let you get a simulator”

9 Likes

They may go hand in hand. Have more money = having house big enough to accomodate simulator = happy wife

2 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: good point

Anyone have family/friends that swing left handed? My son (high school golfer) swings lefty, will the SkyTrak accommodate that natively, or would it have to be moved around between shots for us? Hoping they are not on back order this December!

you will have to adjust the unit to accommodate a lefty- the back order is also very real :frowning:

1 Like

Moving into a new house in a month and a sim set-up is definitely in the cards. Prob in the garage so will need to be something that can be tucked away. I think Rain or Shine golf had some pretty smart projector casings that sit on the floor in front of you so you don’t need to fix to the roof. Likely route for me is Skytrak but I’d love to do a used GC2, that however is 5k plus I think the software for it is like another 3k so that makes it a tough sell…

I’ve got a very basic setup using a net, mat, computer that wasn’t being used, and the Rapsodo R-Motion system.
Would love something better but can’t use it much during the winter. Mainly late fall and early spring. If it’s about 40 degrees or colder, it’s just too cold in the garage.
Here’s a video from when we first got it set up, I have upgraded to a larger monitor and cleaned things up a bit…

5 Likes

When we built I fully insulated the garage and the garage door for this exact reason. Still gets plenty cold. I hung a couple propane heaters that are cheap to maintain/install and they really kick it up in there. Definitely worth a look if you want to expand your season!!

1 Like

I’m currently renovating an old stable so I can brave out the Norwegian winters. I’m planning to spend $5000, but I can’t decide what launch monitor to get. Looks like SkyTrak is probably the best option that’s affordable, the Mevo+ looks really good for the price as well.
I’m also kinda thinking there are going to be some big imrpovements in this price range, wondering if it’s worth getting a SC300 for now and waiting a year or two to see what happens.

2 Likes

After reading the review from @jon a couple years ago on Skytrak I went with that one. I got The Net Return and a mat to go with it and use it in my garage. I pay the $199 a year to get courses to play on and would recommend it to anyone. The ability to play courses and swap clubs makes for great practice. So much better than block practice in my opinion. One of my favorites is to play the “best of bandon par 3’s” give you the chance to hit lots of different iron shots. My favorite kind of practice.

2 Likes

I would recommend SkyTrak if you’re primarily using indoors. Welcome from Norway!

1 Like

SkyTrak is the best deal hands down IMO - I love mine!

1 Like

I just move to Florida for the Winter. :grinning:

3 Likes