Are new clubs worth it for someone like me?

I played golf growing up, but then took about a decade off before picking the game up again about 20 months ago. I bought a used set of Callaway XR irons, plus some used Mizuno hybrids, used Mack Daddy and Vokey wedges, and a used M4 driver and three wood. I’d say I play about once a week or every other week throughout the year, and then try to get to the range a couple times a month, too. I’ve invested in all of Adam Young’s practice stuff, feel like I have a good handle on what I need to practice, and how to practice, too. I’m a 17 handicap, but am trending in the right direction.

My question: I have some extra spending money, and I’m trying to figure out what’s the most cost-effective way to spend it toward making golf more enjoyable. Should I get fitted for clubs and then overhaul my set? Would a launch monitor be a better, cheaper investment, as it wold improve practice sessions? A pull cart to walk courses? I just got a range finder; is there something I’m not thinking of that would be a better investment for someone at my stage? Obviously: lessons! But COVID/work-related stuff makes that a not-quite-feasible option for me right now. Curious to hear what you guys think – what purchases had the biggest impact on your golfing well-being? Happy New Year!

4 Likes

It’s a good question, but really not one with a good answer. Since you’re not playing 30 year old clubs or anything, it’s almost certain that new clubs won’t significantly improve your play on the scorecard. Honestly, outside of playing more, practicing more, and the lessons you mentioned, there’s not much you can buy that will make a big difference.
I think you’re on the right track by asking what will make golf more enjoyable, though. For me, one of the most enjoyable things about golfing is walking the course, so if you’re not doing that currently and a pull cart would help that, then that’s the first place I’d look. If you haven’t walked consistently before, renting one from the course (if they have decent ones) will be a good gauge. Added bonus is that it will help general fitness as well.

2 Likes

Also, a really good pair of golf shoes is something I think is too often overlooked, especially for walking.

3 Likes

Do you like your clubs? Have you looked at others and been more excited about them?

I spent the majority of my golf career (from 96-2019) playing the same irons… they were fine. I love my new irons, but can’t attribute better scoring to them.

I think a pushcart is a good investment if it will help you walk the course more… I think it’s easier to play golf walking.

At the end of the day, golf is something you should enjoy, so spend money on stuff that makes things more fun. I really like my gps watch… s62 garmin.

1 Like

Great topic! This is my personal experience from 2020. I took delivery of new fitted clubs mid December after coming into some cash over the summer. First time I’ve ever bought new clubs. I’ve played with 2nd hand clubs for past 40 years. Only played the new clubs about 3 times?

All I can say is, the clubs look amazing, feel amazing to swing (still don’t understand the science behind how much difference a shaft can make! @Craigers - help me out?) and the ball goes like a rocket when I hit a good strike. I feel confident looking down at address, seeing these beauties. I get a massive psychological feel-good factor in owning these clubs. In balance, they cost a small fortune and I can imagine other avenues would yield better improvement/scoring.

BTW - I play off 19.6 and always thought I wasn’t good enough to warrant being fitted for clubs. I was wrong.

4 Likes

If you have the money, take your time, get fit and buy some sticks you love.

I agree with @JohnM on the psychological benefits. I got new sticks this year and I love them.

I am firmly in the “treat yourself” camp.

I think shafts are an interesting topic… I’m still learning the science behind it, but I can tell you different shafts feel different to me, and we tend to make micro adjustments to our swing as it goes, so the better feel you have, the better your impact should be…

My experience is all anecdotal. I can’t hit counterbalanced shafts. No idea why… I prefer heavy shafts across the board, and usually have a 70 gram shaft in my driver…

When demoing iron shafts, what I found interesting was I was generating more spin with stiffer shafts (x100 vs s300) which goes against most common fitting information.

It’s a fun place to experiment , and a good place to have access to a launch monitor.

I learned to play with Lynx prowler blades and when they got stolen I replaced them with cavity back Lynx USA irons. 3 years ago I started playing again after a 23 year layoff. After having only broken 90 once I bought a new set of Lynx tour blades online and 3 of my first 4 rounds with them were in the 80’s They have such a thin top edge and feel so good when you flush one out of the middle. And they only cost 400 uk pounds. They have transformed my game and I am not sure how much loving my clubs and having confidence in them has contributed to that.

1 Like

Confidence in a club HAS to be a big thing mentally. I know it helps me committing to a shot. Could be a placebo effect for me, but it works!

4 Likes

My experience is very similar to @JohnM. I had played with average off-the-shelf clubs for years. This summer, however, I took some lessons to improve my swing and then got fitted for new irons Ping turned out to be the best fit). My distance improved around 5% or so; I added a Utilty/gap wedge to my bag, but more importantly my dispersion decreased so that even my poor shots are more likely to be close to straight. My clubs were adjusted to just be a tad longer, and the lie now fits my swing.

Overall I have more confidence in my swing and that is partly due to the confidence I have in the clubs being right, the way they feel and the way they look. I am a high handicapper and also didn’t think it was worth it get better clubs that fit my swing, but it’s more fun to have more consistent shots.

2 Likes

I agree with most of what the others have mentioned. The new clubs will feel fantastic. They will be fit for you and your swing and the confidence in that will really help you at least in the short term. The newness will wear off so to speak and your habits will prevail. That’s where playing more golf and having a coach you trust and has your success in his/her goals is beneficial. Even if you can go to a series of 3 lessons to get you started on some things that could identify some weaknesses to work on. I just invested in a launch monitor and it’s not here yet but I feel like I will be able to practice a lot more since it will be at my house. Unfortunately most people have to figure out to afford it. Golf is hard. Golf is expensive :joy:

See a coach either online or in person if Covid allows. They can help you decide too if what you’re hitting makes sense for you or if you should change.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I agree, I don’t think that new clubs will have a significant change on score unless you have some gapping issues you can resolve (usually on one end of the bag or the other).

I haven’t purchased one yet but I think the new ShotScope V3 watch could be very useful for you to help learn your tendencies which can give you very actionable information at to where to spend time improving and course strategy.

Then, when lessons in your area resume, take some playing lessons.

I forgot to say that when I first got my new set it took about 40 balls on the range before I could hit one in the air. Took 40 balls to work out I needed a wider takeaway and a shallower approach as my steep swing didn’t work so the blades actually forced me to improve my swing to be able to hit them well.

My main question would be: are you going to get fit for new clubs? If the answer is yes, then I can see value in new clubs. If your plan is to buy off the rack, then probably no need to get new clubs as what you have are fine and you’d see minimal gains with new technology.

1 Like

I visited a local clubmaker/fitter because he offered a ‘checkup’ fitting. He went through the bag to determine whether they were properly fitted to me. His advice? My problems were in my swing, not the bag–the clubs were correctly fitted, but my swing was what needed work. I had thought that I needed a lie change–make the clubs more upright. He said he couldn’t measure the lie until I stopped rising up on my toes at impact. Brutal, but honest.
Get your current clubs (which sound fine) checked by a competent fitter to see if they’re right for you. Spend your money on a good pushcart (pull carts will wreck your shoulders) rather than on new clubs. Always use a fitter.

5 Likes

That’s the fitter you keep going back to!

There is definitely something to be said about fixing major swing issues first and then getting fit… but once you are delivering the club into the ball consistently, it’s worth trying some new stuff!

Maybe new clubs would be inspiring, but what about a training package or a playing the extraordinary courses that you normally don t do. If times were normal, you should play in Scotland like Carnoustie and St Andrews. I would;))

3 Likes

Hi Catherine. Welcome to the forum. Scotland is a 20 hr proposition and after my last trip to France I decided I don’t want any more 13hr flights from Oz to Dubai. 7 trips to France and I have had enough. The last time I went for a lesson the pro tried to change my stance and my swing plane. It made me start missing both ways. Very frustrating when I had deliberately strived for a flatter plane and an in to out path to get all my shots going one way (from right to left). As I said above getting new irons actually improved my swing.