Another Reminder that Golf is Hard

Don’t be too hard on yourself the next time you blade a chip off a tight lie. Even a pro can produce a shot tracker that looks like this:

1 Like

Hey I can do that! So… I can be a pro golfer!!! :wink::rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve done that on Mt Osmond GC 13th hole. Bunker to the bunker opposite then back and forth. Deep bunkers, lots of slope on the green and a narrow green

1 Like

Wow, I have something in common with a golf pro! That looks like one of the holes I played yesterday!

3 Likes

These are the things I like to see. Not that I wish a player to play bad, it just makes the game so much more realistic.

1 Like

That reminds me of the 2nd at Royal Dornoch, a medium length par-3 with a green raised maybe 6 or 7 feet above the surrounding area. I hit my tee shot right, putted the next over the green, putted my 3rd almost hard enough (but it came back to my feet), putted my 4th to about 6 feet, and made a nice putt for double. This gives a nice view of the problems.

Tom Watson said the hardest shot in golf is the second shot on this hole.
2 Likes

100% it happens, but this is not at all shocking this is from Grayson Murray. :joy:

Phil wanted in on the fun too:

2 Likes

Makes me feel better about skulling across the green at 80 mph with my sand wedge.
:rofl:

2 Likes

Check the bounce on your sand wedge. If it causes the leading edge to be raised in the air when you address the ball you could try moving your hands forward a touch and weight favoring the left foot to ensure the leading edge is grounded. This will make a lower ball flight but will help you hit more consistent shots.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve gone over most of that with my instructor/swing coach. I rarely do that nowadays, mostly when I’m tired, being sloppy and not paying attention ( and then I pay, and pay, and pay, converting a birdie or par into a double bogie), but thanks so much for the tips!

2 Likes

You are very welcome @Mell1313 . I am hardly qualified to offer coaching but good to hear your coach has told you the same stuff. I know someone who only uses his putter from 50m out as he is paranoid about blading a wedge. My miss with a wedge is hitting fat. All because my leading shoulder is too low. And always on the 17th & 18th.

2 Likes

If I’m not feeling it with my wedge, and I’m close enough with the right lie, I LOVE a little bump and run with my 8 iron.

5 Likes

Here’s another one to try, especially if you’re faced with 80-90’ to the pin: use a hybrid. You don’t have to strike the ball nearly as hard; I find it’s easier to keep it on line.

2 Likes