AimPoint Express Putting

Curious as to those that have used AimPoint express putting. Is it worth all of the buzz? Can you figure it out without taking the express course or buying the video?

3 Likes

AimPoint has definitely helped my putting tremendously, and I have used it for almost 4 years now. I would say it’s not difficult to learn either, but you do need to trust it which can take several months. The announcers on TV make it seem so complicated, and like a voodoo science, but it’s not!

Here is the article I wrote that can give you more clarity. I would say it’s best to learn in person, which I know is a challenge now. But the videos can be useful, and if you get a digital level you can learn the cornerstones on your own.

3 Likes

Thanks Jon, much appreciated, as a matter of fact, it was this very article that got me super interested in the product. I read it and just a couple of days later a pro was telling me about it and how it works, vaguely.

3 Likes

I have used Express for a couple years now. I really like it a lot. It’s easy to learn (buy the video course, it’s worth it) and it’s easy to use on the course. Despite the perception from some, it is a much faster way to putt than reading from multiple angles, lining up the ball,etc.

To get better at it faster, buy a digital level, find a good practice green and “learn” to measure the slopes.

Good luck!!!

3 Likes

No problem. I truly believe in having a system when you putt, and AimPoint is the best solution out there IMO.

2 Likes

How long of a level are we taking, 24”-36” or something that is pocket size?

you can get really small ones on Amazon, just search for a digital level. Don’t need one of those monster ones!

3 Likes

I had an “express” (ha ha) intro to AimPoint Express and then read up on it - just that basic knowledge has really helped me on the greens!

Based on Jon’s article (he linked to above) I’ve scheduled a clinic with the same instructor mentioned … definitely looking forward to getting all the in-depth info!!

3 Likes

I got a 12” one from Home Depot. Don’t need a big one.

2 Likes

BRB…devouring this article.

5 Likes

I picked one up from Amazon that was 4inches. Just make sure it has percent slope. I bought the DVD off amazon as well. I found that once you start to feel the percent slope correctly then you just have to get the speed right.
Works especially well on courses smooth slopes no matter the steepness. A little less well on flat subtle breaking greens, but still great.
My putting has improved immensely because of it.
Using it for about 2 years now.

6 Likes

thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

You can get digital levels as apps on your smartphone, one is even made specifically for golf. Break meter. It’s awesome!

2 Likes

When in doubt I spread my feet and throw some fingers Up!

1 Like

I broke down and spent the $50 for the AimPoint express program and another $25 for the percentage slope level. Looking forward to trying this out. The technology seems very sound. I made a list of the highlight for quick reference. I feel like they’re the most critical part of the program and whilst learning, instead of stopping pulling out the video and figuring out what I need to do, it’s right there in my yardage book for ease. Update to come after a few weeks of training.

1 Like

Awesome, interested to see what you think. Like I said I’ve been using it for years and never looked back.

2 Likes

So first use update of AimPoint express. I took the crash course and best guessed my calibration as I’m still waiting for my percentage slope level to calibrate well. I know it will take a lot of work but yesterday I had no three putts. I did only have one 1 putt. Now the greens were really slow (8 or less, they just over seeded). With that said I was pretty close on most of my lines and only missed two putts low. I think I over did the slope and of course I have a lot to learn but I can see how this is going to be life saving.

2 Likes

How much effort did it take you to learn to feel the slope with your feet? I really struggle with this, which has made it difficult for me to use Aimpoint. At this point I’m an old school plumb bobber.

1 Like

Took only one session for me. I think the bulk of it is identifying a 1 or 2 slope which I don’t think I’ve had too much trouble doing over the years. You don’t have to get it perfect, you just want to be close and trust it.

That being said, I have heard of a lot of golfers who do struggle feeling the slopes, and perhaps it might not be the best system for them if they are spending too much time before putts doubting whether or not they’ve gotten the slope correct.

2 Likes

My buddy says I need to get a level and train myself. I do pretty well with plumb bobbing getting close but I still feel like I could be a better greens reader.