Adam Young Practice Manual

Just finished reading this book. As soon as I finished I went back to the first page and started again, this time with highlighter in hand. I also bought a copy for every golfer on my Christmas list. I think it’s probably the best guide to getting better at golf I’ve ever read.

I’ve already put a few of its recommendations into practice at the driving range, experimenting with different ball positions, stances, thoughts, feels, mind focus, everything. It makes practice so much more fun than just trying to have a “perfect” swing or hit a “perfect” shot every time on the range. It’s all about learning what does what and what works best for you.

And then when you do turn to trying to optimize performance, quantifying and game-ifiying your practice takes it to the next level. I wanted to work on hitting fairways with my driver, so I went to the range and gave myself a 40 yard wide fairway, and when I hit 7/10 in a row, I made it harder by narrowing the fairway to 20 yards, and also by alternating the driver with wedges and irons and going through my pre-shot routine with that pressure of trying to get to 7/10 or at least not getting less than 3/10 to go backward. I swear the last two drives I hit with my bucket would have hit a 5 yard wide fairway. Also, no need for 100 ball buckets anymore. 35, the small bucket, is more than enough to have an effective practice session.

I think for me the biggest question is what locus of focus will be the most effective for me. I know Adam wants us to get to a transcendent focus on the course, but I just don’t think my natural, default swing is good enough to play great golf with a transcendent focus, or even an external results focus. It seems my best golf has always been with a simple internal focus or a simple external process focus (although I just contradicted myself with my “Unconscious Putting” post, where I have had pretty much an external results or transcendent focus just getting completely focused on the line with no technical thoughts or even external process and it’s been fantastic. Putting stroke is much simpler than full swing though). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that, though, as I just heard recently (maybe in the Dave Stockton book?) that when Byron Nelson won those 11 tournaments in a row he had “one swing thought” that just worked for 11 straight weeks. That’s how I feel during my best rounds. I just find an internal or external process focus that just works that day. The few times I’ve tried out a neutral or transcendent swing thought on the course it has been disastrous. I will keep experimenting though, because if I can have the mindset with a full swing on the course in a tournament pressure situation that I have right now with my putting at home following the Unconscious Putting lessons, then that really would be the best of all worlds.

In short, I love the Practice Manual. Everyone should read it and practice that way. Makes golf so exciting and fun, and I am positive it’s going to make me (and you) better, faster. And what’s more fun than that?!

9 Likes

@Adamyounggolf just in case you just finished a lesson with mike and need some positive feedback.

As for the book, I haven’t bought it because it’s not available digitally… now I’m going to buy it.

2 Likes

You won’t regret it. It’s a good one to have a physical copy of. I predict mine (and yours) will become an underlined, highlighted, dog-eared, muddied best friend that goes many places with you. Let us know what you think!

3 Likes

Fine. Twist my arm. It’s ordered

Thanks for the great review of the book.

As far as your question - While I like the transcendental focus, or prefer more external foci in general, they are not hard and fast rules for me.

This is where the “performance training” section/phase of the book comes in.

Basically, you conduct your own N=1 experiment to see which focus (or mix of foci) produces the best results for you in the given moment. This is perfect pre-tournament prep.

For example, I might ask a very analytical player to test hitting 20 shots

• with their desired internal swing focus
  • focusing on face strike or ground contact (external process)
  • testing diff shapes (fade vs draw) - external result
  • doing a counting drill (neutral focus)

From these, we can then see which one produces the tightest dispersion (I use GCquad stats, but you can also use the finger system from my “Next Level Golf” program).

This avoids me making blanket recommendations for pupils that don’t suit them, and also give statistical evidence to make an argument for a player to take a given LOA to the course.

8 Likes

Yep, great product.

I also appreciate that @Adamyounggolf sells products and not subscriptions.

Customers become raving fans when they feel like they are getting multiples on the price paid and Practice Manual and Strike Plan fit the bill!!

3 Likes

Yep, makes perfect sense. Nothing to be ashamed about if an internal focus gets me to play my best golf. It’s all about hitting great shots, shooting lower scores, and having fun while playing and learning and improving. Your book helped me love this game even more than I already did, which I didn’t know was possible!

4 Likes

I am a highly analytical person and operate using my conscious brain too much. The Practice Manual turned round my thought process on golf. It makes me chuckle to think it took a highly detailed book to make it clear I need to stop thinking to play good golf! @Adamyounggolf knows I am a fan of his work

1 Like

Selling simplicity to an analytical person is one of the hardest tasks - I know because I had to have myself converted.

For me, truly understanding the complexity of the game - from psychological, biomechanics, impact physics, motor learning etc - allows an analytical person to understand why simplicity can be so powerful.

Telling an analytical shanker to “try to brush the grass here” would just turn them off to the point they wouldn’t even try it. However, helping them understand the deep and complex mechanisms behind why it works can help convince them.

6 Likes

Adam, really appreciate your take on the golf swing… I’m looking forward to digging into your book and trying the seven iron challenge you posted a few months back!

I look forward to charting my process next season and I’m excited to have you along in book form!

I had a phase where I was lining up open and hitting “pulls” which were actually well struck straight (ish) shots.

Talking to the best golfer I know (grew up with him, D1 player, made two seasons of web.com starts). Showing him my video and launching into questions about what I need to do technically…

He looks at me and says “just move right until you feel like you are going to hit it into the right trees and hammer that “pull” down the middle.”

It was a lightbulb moment for me. I didn’t really understand why that comment helped me so much until I read practice manual.

1 Like

Yes, I love the advice on if and when to change things, based on what your normal “miss” is and based on where you are in your season and life.

I have always struggled hitting my irons fat and thin (never really optimal like a hammered “pull” shot can be). One range session later, which was spent entirely with the focus on where I contacted the ground with my iron and quantifying and gameifying it with the 3-7 rule, and I felt like my contact with the ground was fixed. It’s so funny and almost embarrassing: I have tried so much to fix my ground contact (Don’t sway off the ball, feel like you’re peeking at the underside of the front of the ball on the backswing, get your weight to your left side at impact, etc etc).

How about what Adam suggests: focus on trying to hit the ground in the right place?! Duh! :roll_eyes::flushed::man_facepalming::bulb::bulb::bulb: Seems so simple and obvious now. I’m actually pretty good at hitting the ground in the right place when that is what I’m trying to do, rather than hit all these arbitrary positions which may or may not have anything to do with where I hit the ground with my iron. Genius stuff!

4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed review…have just ordered the book and can’t wait to dig in!

1 Like

Book arrived yesterday…am all set to start reading!

2 Likes

I’ve gotten distracted by another book suggested here… I’m also struggling to read a hard copy book!

You just sold another copy. Looking forward to it!

2 Likes