$500 Per Iron! Would You Pay It?

That price tag is way out of my range. I gulped a couple of weeks ago when I got fit for a new set of Mavrik irons for $900. I guess there are those that would spend that much for clubs, but they don’t play at my club.

FYI - TXG posted a review of them today.

1 Like

For me… spending $500 on lessons is getting me a helluva lot further along in my golf game :golf::golfing_man:

4 Likes

And there’s the Mic drop.

3 Likes

That’s the interesting thing about golfers though… how many people do you know who are actually putting in real effort to get better?

At my home course, I know two guys who are putting in some amount of effort to improve and one of them mostly just bangs range balls and watches YouTube videos.

From there, I have a couple of buddies who take the occasional lesson when their swings start going off the rails…

Most of the people I know aren’t trying to learn new shots, change their approach to the course or dramatically improve on anything…

Some of them might try to buy a game though!

I do think golf is interesting in how people approach it… I think the vast majority just silo out golf as something they don’t have enough time to get better at and are happy to play their regular game and hopeful to plinko into a good score.

Obviously those of us here have a different mentality!

1 Like

Yeah that seems to happen a lot. Look at the constant messages of all the equipment ads… “longer”, “straighter”, “faster”, “make all your putts”, etc etc…

Maybe golf instructors and coaches should do more advertising :wink:

I’ll chime on this very quickly. There is no reason any golfer needs to spend $500 on an iron. Case closed :joy:

6 Likes

If you count my fitness coach and my golf coach, I am spending $550 a month to improve my game to make the goal I have set for myself. I spend at least three hours a day messing with my putting and short game, as I feel this is the most important part of golf. I have been playing just over 4 years. I went from a 27 handicap down to as low as a 9.9 (11.1 currently) before we really started messing with my swing. Golf is an expensive sport, especially if you want to compete at the highest level, but it makes no sense for me to spend 12 months worth of lessons to fill my bag with clubs. Time, effort, discipline, and a lot of tears.

4 Likes

Highly recommend the sieckmann book your short game solutions for some wedge advice…

I’ve started to put his stuff into play on the course and it’s good for me… I’ve always had a decent wedge game but what I like most about his technique is it’s consistent and minimizes misses.

I have implemented his power techniques yet as I’m still not swinging full shots.

1 Like

I actually invested in a swing coach this year instead of just getting lessons. I can track my progress, he knows when I’m phoning it in ( “finish your swing please”), and he isn’t fixing my swing, he’s improving/ tweaking my natural swing.
We work on components, and I have to demonstrate competency before moving on to the next phase. I have homework to complete, and I share my round information with him.
I call him The Golf Whisperer.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! I’ve been working with more of a coach… it’s a different relationship built more around mental approach and swing theory.

I think having someone who is invested in your improvement is a huge benefit to developing as a golfer… definitely a better investment than $500 irons!

3 Likes

this is great! and the best kind of “investment” you can make in your game. Equipment has its role in your performance, but it’s more of a refinement. Doing the right kind of work on your swing will yield much more than spending a lot fo money on golf clubs.

4 Likes

I still think this is a brilliant move by Titleist. They get to do R&D, and they get to defray some of the costs of R&D by selling prototypes to people who want to buy that kind of thing.

Is it worth it to me? Not a chance. But if Titleist can sell 'em, more power to Titleist.

3 Likes

I like to tell the women I play with when I bomb my driver that I have a very expensive swing, and I’d pay twice that without hesitation.

6 Likes

Just crazy to think about!

I love my P790’s…

There is no way a $500 club is better!

1 Like

Better? Definitely possible for some. Worth it? Probably not for most…

It’s like expensive bourbon… you can get four roses single barrel for $40 or their limited release for $200… is it better? Yes. Is it worth the hassle and money? Not for most.

People value different things, though.

2 Likes

Hi!
I used to build custom fly rods that I distributed word-of-mouth and mail order. I used the best blanks I could find, which were not coincidentally the most expensive, somewhere in the six hundred dollar range for the blank itself. I also used gold plated line guides and the best reel seats and cork I could find. In all, I had an eleven hundred dollar custom fishing rod with around forty hours labor. I never built one that didn’t sell.

Now, the thing about fly rods is that they’re just like golf clubs. There’s an 11-weight for heavy salt water fishing, on down to a 2-weight for the most delicate of brook trout, with every weight in between. In other words, you can’t have just one, any more than you’d carry around a single golf club.

Now here’s the thing… nobody ever fly fishes as much as they want to. In fact, when lawyers or attorneys or bankers or taxi drivers or soldiers are sitting at their respective jobs daydreaming about fly fishing,… they’re looking at things to buy. Golfers do the exact same thing.

There is a high end market for anything that somebody with money doesn’t have enough time to pursue. Does the purchase substitute for the activity? Of course not. But when you’re hankering for the brook, or the green, or the hunt, you’re entirely vulnerable to “don’t-you-wish-this-were-you” marketing.

There’s an old saying in this business… “Give a man a fish,… feed him for a day. But teach a man to fish,… and he’ll stuff your front hall closet with more junk than Aunt Tillie’s britches.”

4 Likes

Finance professor speech to us at our last class:

“Right now you have all the time in the world, but you are broke!

Next year you will go out into the world and start making money… some of you will make lots of money… but you will have no time

Eventually you will have a lot of money and a lot of time… but you will be old and you will be tired….

Best of luck to you!”

5 Likes

Truly, an inspiration!
I’m in the modified Phase III of “some money, lots of time, old, tired and achy.”

But, I’m still golfing several times per week, so all is good.

2 Likes

If I was on the tour and My club sponsor was customizing clubs for me $500 a club that they are paying for … Certainly! Short answer, NO! I would invest $6500 to $7000 elsewhere.