2 wood: anyone have one they like

Anyone know of a modern two wood? The xhot 3 deep is the best example I know… is love a 300+ cc head that isn’t the original one!

Are you wanting one for hitting off the tee or off the deck?

My driver is set at 12.5 degrees, is that a 2 wood :joy:

3 Likes

2.5 rounds up to 3!

Does the Taylor made mini driver count as a 2 wood?

What’s your launch angle!?

Are you a low ball hitter generally?

I’m a delofter - launch is usually around 14 or so

2 Likes

I play a 8 degree driver… I’ve thought about building a second driver at 12 degrees!

I’m with Jon. The 2 Woods are now called Drivers. Anything over 10 degrees of loft could be considered a 2 Wood.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m thinking about building out a 12 degree draw biased short driver as a secondary tee club.
M

What loft do you play your 3 wood at? Or do you not carry one?

Me 3wood is 16 degrees. I’ve seen them from 15-17.

It’s 13 degrees… it’s basically a two wood, just not as big. I rarely hit it off the deck.

This is a niche issue that I like to beat the drum of occasionally… the original one was a good idea, I just didn’t love the club itself… maybe I should source an old long Tom 2 wood.

What result are you looking for?

Basically a secondary tee club that doesn’t get any roll… I want something I can hit 260-270 and then have it stop dead.

And I want the forgiveness of a larger head.

There are a couple holes where my carry distance is good, but roll out puts me into trouble. It’s a niche idea but something I want to try.

1 Like

Just FYI - almost every clubfitter would tell you that having an extra club in your bag that you’re only going to use off the tee is not the best idea. (had to include that disclaimer)

2 Likes

I mean, get yourself a 12.5* driver, throw in a super spinny, ultralight shaft and give it a whack.

Wow! That’s crazy! Mine is at 10 and it’s the most loft I’ve ever had in a driver.

I found that was the best combination of launch conditions/accuracy for what I’m trying to do. I’m probably giving up some distance (also with the 44" shaft) but the last 2 years i’m driving the ball the best I ever have with this driver setup (epic flash). I’m going to work a little bit more on adding speed this winter, I think I can get up to 115 - 117 mph if I really go for it. I started this year at about 105-106, then got it to around 110-112. We’ll see!

3 Likes

TM used to make a 12* AeroBurner “mini-driver” that was 3W length. I’d swap it for 3W on courses with tight, short par4s where driver was too much but wanted a little ‘noodge’ over 3W. Ok, I was rubbish with driver.
The downside was it was iffy off the deck. All due respect to Lefty, I’m with Jon on this one.

1 Like

Fyi… I have a Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 that I had actually been using as my driver for a few seasons; believe the volume is 285 cc and head is adjustable from 13-16° … so it’s more like a large 3W I guess.

1 Like