Your Best Swing

I really enjoyed this clip of Brian Harman chatting with Steve Elkington. Love the thought here.

When you get over the ball, you pick a target and try to make a GREAT swing. For me, that’s nice, assertive, in rhythm and in balance.

Similar to the “cocky swing” some people use. I think I fall into the trap of steering or trying to control the club which is a recipe for some crazy sh*t happening.

Cheers

4 Likes

I too fall in the trap of just trying to not make a bad swing. When I’m aware of this mentality, I’m able to talk myself into good swings. I’m working on being more aware of those feelings of negativity and the consciously working to talk myself into a great swing.

2 Likes

Yes, good description.

I will even step up to the ball before I have really gotten comfortable or felt a great swing feel behind the ball.

This thought really helps me behind the ball where I go “what would a great swing feel like… oh it feels just like THAT”

Then step up to the ball and try and repeat

Had a nice range session today with that routine.

1 Like

I was about to write “you can’t step up to the ball with a negative thought in your head about what you don’t want to do”, but then I realized that’s a negative statement :smiley:
Instead I should say, you have to step up to the ball with a positive thought in your head about what you want to do. I’d definitely agree that “put a great swing on the ball” is a good thought to have. Should help mentally separate the process which you control (the swing) from the end result which you don’t fully control.

3 Likes

I have a similar but slightly different thought. To me, the goal of making a “great” swing, or as Harman said once during the video “my best swing ever”, adds a bit of pressure. My thought is to try to make every single swing a “normal solid swing”. It doesn’t need to be the best ever, it just needs to be normal, because normal is pretty good. To me, this provides a good affirmative goal without adding to any other pressure I might feel. In fact, telling myself to swing “normal” may actually serve to decrease the pressure a little.

4 Likes

correct

positive thought and it is quite different from “hit a great shot”.

stand behind ball. see a great shot. practice swing. get in the feel channel. feel a great shot.

step up and hit it

I’ve really been trying to give every shot my “best” swing. Have been making a lot of little adjustments lately and trying to repeat feels that work. It’s great to be in this place no have a long way to go still but I am at a point I understand what is going on with my swing. I just still have a problem completely letting go.

With my irons I have to think about pulling the hands in or I shank it every time. Every time I forget I shank. With the driver I am a lot freer as there is no hosel to ruin my shot.
I pretend I am on the 6th hole where I hit my best drives.

Man, I love that video so much. I’m half-tempted to create burner accounts just so I can like it more. Generally my best swing thought is, “Make a good swing.” Seems I need to aim higher to, “Make the best swing you’ve ever made.”

1 Like

I read or heard somewhere that Fred Couples’ preshot routine is to stand behind the ball, intentionally tense up his shoulders as much as possible and then release all the tension with a big exhale, and then remember and think about and envision the best shot he’s ever hit with that club. Then he goes and hits it. Sounds pretty good to me.

2 Likes