You like 5 woods?

Wouldn’t be surprised. As Mike here has noted from time-to-time. The i210s aren’t normally that bad—26 on a normal 5-iron, 25 because the previous owner strengthened them by 1 degree—and my previous set was a 27 5-iron.

Poking around at Callaway…the Rogue ST OS (GI or even SGI) are coming in at 22.5 degrees for a 5-iron. And because that’s not enough, they’re also 38.25". LOL. So, my 4-iron, basically.

It is what it is. Distance sells.

As I’ve noted here before, the nifty thing about my set isn’t necessarily how far they go. It’s that they’re insanely consistent on distance and flight. Not quite, “OK, Mr. Hogan. I’ll stand out here with the shag bag for you.” But that’s only because I can’t be that repeatable. The irons certainly are. You want your 4-iron to go 196, and not 194 or 198? This set of Pings is for someone like you.

My issue with the distance is more age related, not entirely the change of spec on the loft for the designated numbers on the sole of the iron.
I’m holding it pretty well for someone of my age. Many guys in my group are younger by 5/6 - a decade younger than I am.
When one gets into my age group, each year will be a land mark on physical condition. Exercise and stretching could delay the process but not able to steer away from the unavoidable.
Your observation of the marketing technique of using stronger loft and longer length to sell the golf club is cast in stone.
The game of playing with the equipment spec is probably reached the limit , as the OEM could not change the physical condition of a golfer.
Stronger loft in iron will also make it more difficult for the golfers to utilize the equipment. Hence most the bags these days stops with the 5 iron as the longest iron ( same spec as the 3 iron from the old days ).
Luckily, this game does not reward golfers for longer distance with the golf club, we still need to hole out with the least strokes to win.
Sad thing is, the senior are not just better at their short games; the short games are what’s left from their previous ability.

Everytime I see this thread, in my head I hear…

“I like 5 woods and I cannot lie…”

Am I the only one??? :joy:

1 Like

Being at shorter length to 3/4 woods with the added loft ( loft is a friend), more distance than the 4/5 irons we now carry in the bag with the absence of the long irons.
Of course, I’d also vote for the 5 wood.

That was what I loved before I was proficient with the long irons.