You Can Still Play Great Golf While Nervous

Viktor Hovland made some interesting comments after winning in Mayakoba this weekend. He was pretty honest about being nervous down the stretch and felt very uncomfortable despite sinking the winning putt.

It brought up a really interesting point, and a performance coach who contributes to the site wrote this article about how it’s a bit of a myth that you can control your emotions (and a more productive way to approach these feelings). I think this is a great read, and I’m interested to hear all of your thoughts.

7 Likes

I really liked the article and these are actually things I talked about at work a lot when training on resilience and change agility. On and off the golf course, I think it’s essential for people to understand that emotions happen and they are lower brain stuff really beyond our control, but what we do have control over is our reactions and responses. The best tip I can give to anyone is to give yourself space between emotion and response because if the two are happening simultaneously that’s where things will spin out of control. Depending on the situation, this space can be as simple as a few deep breaths or a quick mindfulness exercise.

7 Likes

This. Spacing yourself from emotion to response - in golf and in life - is the key. You have to give yourself a minute to process what you’re feeling before you can execute what you need to do.

The good thing about nerves on the golf course is they make you zone in on the fundamentals. If you can execute the fundamentals, more often than not you can pull off a good enough of a shot despite the nerves.

It’s like - and I am NOT condoning this - when you hear those people who say they’re better drivers when they’re a little drunk. The nerves make you pay attention to what you’re doing even more than maybe you normally would.

5 Likes

This is one of my favorite things I’ve read on Practical Golf, or any website. I’m definitely a “player,” and I’ve definitely experienced choking on multiple occasions. In fact, I quit playing tournaments twice in my life because of “choking” experiences. I always felt like there was something wrong with me mentally that I couldn’t get myself to lock-in under pressure and relish that moment. Instead, I kinda hate that moment and don’t want the pressure.

This article has given me strategies for how to better conduct myself in these situations, as well as made me understand that it’s okay that I’m the way I am, and I can still be successful even though I’m not a “performer.” Keep these articles coming!

6 Likes

That’s great feedback, glad you enjoyed the article (I did as well).

2 Likes

Really loved the article…for the same reason I really enjoy this forum. PERSPECTIVE. This forum really feels like a safe space where you can be vulnerable and not pretend everything is perfect. I love Hovland also admitting, “I suck at chipping” which his standard is certainly different from mine :smile:.
Golf is so much more enjoyable (and easier to improve in) with perspective…that is the greatest strength of Practical Golf IMO…I get to interact with good folks in a judgement free zone and be open to new perspectives. Golf Digest and pundits on TV and YouTube are not the ultimate source of truth.

Thanks again @jon for this gift.

6 Likes

I’ve choked more times than I remember growing up competing in tennis. However with experience the “choking kind of” nervousness started getting away and nerves were something that actually elevated my game. I think if you’re not nervous it’s meaningless to you and you don’t focus as much. Learning how to make nerves your friend is when I play my best, for some people it comes quicker than others but IMO experience has a lot to do with it and it takes time to get there.

3 Likes

That is music to my ears, that’s exactly why I started this site. Wonderful to hear feedback like that!

3 Likes

This is excellent @jon. I relate to the “player” type. I get mentally bogged down during competitions and often feel that I am dredging my brain to find a way out the slump but its gone blank. I felt physically shaky on Saturday and put it down to nerves or blood sugar imbalance! I am definitely going to try out the internal dialogue recommendations. That and observing the target the way a hawk looks at its prey. Plus I will continue @CoryO mindfulness tips.

4 Likes

Great article @jon. For me meditation, learning how to breathe and some of the techniques in Be a Player have been key for me on the course.

On a side note George’s comments starting at 17:30 on value/ego are worth digesting.

3 Likes

thanks, but to be clear I didn’t write it - it’s from a new contributor to the site, Kent Osbourne (a performance coach)

3 Likes

Very solid addition to the site! Definitely great life and golf advice… I’m pretty good at ignoring my emotions in daily life, but struggle with it on the golf course… going to work on it!

2 Likes

Missed that. Great job Kent.

1 Like

This was REALLY GOOD info!!

@jon - thx for including other contributors that have provided some interesting perspectives :+1:t2:

I’m really interested in the “mental game” - eg. learning what it is, and how to apply it to my own game out on the course. It’s good to know that - I guess just alike to your technical skills - you don’t have to be “perfect” (whatever that is…!) at it to have a good round of golf.

3 Likes

Ha, love it!!
What a good … and useful … analogy!

1 Like

No - IMHO many of them are actually doing a disservice to the majority of us average recreational golfers by constantly over-emphasizing DISTANCE DISTANCE DISTANCE BLAST YOUR DRIVER 300 GO FOR DISTANCE … and rarely, if ever, even mentioning any of the true game improvement concepts that are being presented and discussed in these forums - eg. the iron play article - so thanks again, Jon, for pulling this together and for doing what you do :+1:t2:

3 Likes

To be fair, if you hit it 300+ yards, you’ll have a shorter iron in your hand!

I do think recreational golfers should work to maximize their distance, but obviously other parts are important too!

3 Likes

So very true -you nailed it.

2 Likes

Yeah - to punch out of the trees.

That’s one problem I’ve observed often … guys who can smash the ball, sure, but it invariably ends up in trouble…

1 Like