Write about your Round

Ugh… I had a complete mental collapse on the last two holes… round featured 4 doubles, 3 bogeys and no birdies… the last three doubles were completely mental. The first double was just a terrible driver swing…

Got driver going for me in the back, but couldn’t convert. No golf for me until next week. Bummer.

A sporty little 41-42=83 yesterday. On the back nine , I was +1 through six holes, then finished double-double-bogey. That was about 30 minutes of some pretty bad golf.

Today was 41-45-86. I had seven good holes on the front, but worked in two doubles. On back nine I was +1 through four holes, then went; triple-par-triple-par. :man_facepalming:t2:

One takeaway: this back nine was tail end of three consecutive days of golf. Midway through the nine, I was totally gassed. Apparently, walking three consecutive days is too big of an ask at this point. I need to work on my scheduling management.

We got called off for lightning tonight, but thru 6 holes I was +1 and had hit my 58° wedge nine times. Six of which were in two holes. I think that’s bad. Is that bad?

1 Like

Seems like an interesting round, if nothing else.

So that must mean you were hitting good drives to wedge distance of the greens but then repeatedly hitting crappy wedge shots over and over? But then you recovered with some birdies. Or were you laying up with your wedge?

1 Like

I went birdie-birdie to start. Hit a bomb on 3 and had about 70 in. Decelerated and duffed it about 40 yards. Did the same on the next one to about 10 yards short, then hit it again to about ten feet and made the bogey putt. Did pretty much the exact same thing on 4. Both were to tight front pins and I was trying to get cute, but really poor swings. Hopped the green on the par 3 5th and hit another bad chip with the wedge and two putted for bogey. Hit another bad wedge from 90 out on the 6th hole and got up and down. Just a really really bad night with the wedges so there’s my focus for a while because that’s unacceptable.
Lightning came and they blew the horn to put me out of my misery.

1 Like

I am not getting very many one putts this month because my iron game has improved and I am missing less greens but then my three putts have gone up. Another positive is better driving and iron play has led to more birdies. Haven’t holed any chips but haven’t had to hit as many chips. Back to the 2/3 rule. Cant get it all firing at once but then you don’t need 3/3 to score well.

Poor finish today going double-double. Mentally checked out really badly. Had ground it out all day despite being subpar tee to green, but just couldn’t maintain it for the final 2 holes.

1 Like

Played the best 18 hole round I’ve played in a few years today. 8-under 64 at Indian Creek playing from around 7250 yards. 7 birdies, an eagle, and one bogey. Hit my driver stupid long and straight all day. Best wedge striking I’ve made all year - highlighting a glaring inconsistency in my golf game. Made the putts I needed to make. It was just a really great day on the course and one I wish I could clone over and over again.

I’m fully prepared to shoot 88 tomorrow in a karmic rebalancing.

11 Likes

Awesome round, my friend… Hope the 88 goes down smooth!

2 Likes

Hot damn that’s a round congrats!

As for tomorrow…you’re going to be confronted by the urge to drink heavily. Don’t be a hero, trust that instinct, manage the pain

2 Likes

I have to be on my dad game right after the round, so I’ll just let my kiddo laugh the pain of my inevitable on-course collapse away.

1 Like

Finally put together a round yesterday, it was 90 degrees and super humid by the time we teed off. I made an adjustment with the ball position on my driver, and had the best driving rounds possibly of my life. Striped the ball with a repeating ball flight, which as a life long two-way misser was great to see. Ended up shooting an 83, season low for me with some low hanging fruit to pick off from it too

I do still have things to work on. My short game really let me down which has been my saving grace most of the season. Limped in the last few holes after getting ball first out of two bunkers in a row.

But the highlight was back to back birdies! The first I hit maybe my best shot ever, hit the flag stick from 150 out and luckily it settled about 8 feet away. Rolled a putt that was never in doubt. Next hole is a shortie that I usually just take 5 wood off, but hit driver up to 75 yards in. Left myself a 25 footer that snuck in the side door. I’m getting more comfortable with birdie tries, used to psych myself out too much. Hoping to see them keep dropping!

1 Like

The 88 was actually a 74 that sure looked like it was going to be an 88.

41 on the front and completely lost with my swing. Made three putts outside 15 feet or it would have been worse.

4 birdies and a bogey for a 33 on the back.

Golf is awesome. And stupid.

7 Likes

Last night in league we played modified alt shot. Each guy tees offs, then you pick the best ball and alternate in. Interesting format, I didn’t have my A or even B game, but just enough that my partner and I scraped out a 41 for a league average finish.

I fell into the trap of over swinging off the tee. My partner was an older guy, often in the fairway but shorter. So I tried ripping driver once he was safe, rather than taking my normal swing. That and a just general lack of feel over the ball hurt me last night. Did manage to jar a few par saving knee knockers to contribute!

1 Like

Before I teed off today I counted how many rounds since my last chip in. 34 rounds. Before this I had holed 22 shots in 131 rounds or around 5 -6 a month. Today my 3rd shot with a sw to a raised par 5 green looked like it just got there. It sat there for around a minute before rolling back down the hill towards me. Put my hands forward and hit a low running chip that never looked like missing. Finally a chip in. Hope that this is the start of a run. Fired 11 over with 5 pars and 2 birdies. Along with the chip in, I had 8 one putts and no 3putts for a total of 26 putts. Finally another good round.

1 Like

Formats like this are fun, but can really mess with your swing just like you said. Once someone is out safe you spend the whole day swinging out of your shoes and never really have a good ball striking day. I always fall into the trap.

2 Likes

Weird one today.

The good: Shot 66 (-2) and had my 3rd eagle of the season when I holed a 54 yard shot on the par 4 eighth hole. Also had 4 other birdies.

The bad: I hit 6 greens in regulation.

The silly: I had 21 putts, and my putts per green-in-regulation was 1.0.

I’m taking a lot of positives from this.

7 Likes

Yep. I’m playing in 3 charity scrambles this summer. Fun format but game management/swing wrecking. All for good causes, though.

4 Likes

Solid rounds of 74 and 72 this weekend. Struck the ball better on the 74, particularly the front 9, but putted terribly. Played a casual 9 with my dad and son on Sunday and tried the pencil grip. Used it today and rolled the rock the best I have in a while, including a 13 footer on the last to tie in the wolf game.

City mid am is next weekend so looking forward to my first tournament in a few years.

4 Likes