Why Iron Play Is So Important For Scoring Potential

I got bored and over analyzed the “Which players would you pick” tweet from Golf Digest on twitter…

Tiger in the best year of his career, was 2.0 strokes gained vs the field.

Morikawa was at 1.17 this year…

They both do other things well, but Tiger consistently put himself into a position to make putts and win tournaments.

Bryson has tried to pick up strokes on the field with driver, and gained 1.162 strokes last year.

What was most interesting is how little the “famed” short game guys picked up around the green… Patrick Reed being the best at .368…

Putting is a little different, Jason Day’s best year he picked up 1.13

Obviously all parts of the game are important. Tiger did pretty much everything well… but his iron play is what truly separated him.

Strategic iron play is what sets you up for potential birdie and removes the big numbers from the card. Having a good drive set you up for an easy iron shot is great. Having a putting game to convert opportunity into birdie is awesome… but moving the ball from the fairway onto the green makes the biggest difference.

2 Likes

My personal hill to climb with the iron game is the 170-200 yards. Can’t hit like some of these young kids. directional control for the approach shot is the key to put the golf ball on the section of the green which will give the best chance for one putt.

2 Likes

Craigers: I am not saying that iron play from the FW isn’t important; it is…I always have a hard time comparing any Touring Pros on any TOUR to us…but Tiger career wise is about 11.5 GIR, Colin this year was around 13 GIR. Those are the BEST in the world. I improved this year starting around 5.7GIR and ending the year at 8.2 GIR…my added distance on a 6000yd course put 9i on down in my hand on 5 extra holes, not hitting 7irons on up on those 5 holes on average. It made a huge difference, I picked up almost 3 more GIR with those short irons. If I moved back another 200-300 yds my percentage would definitely drop. I compare myself to ME and basically others like me. For us regulars, we gotta get it in play first with some distance and if that means moving up to match your true distance off the box so be it. For us I think you will find we gain more strokes against “OUR FIELDS” off the tee, and around and on the greens. I use this tool alot and against like handicaps I pick up close 3.5 every round. Free Putting Calculator
Your Handicap

Distance from hole Putts Expected Avg Putts Strokes Gained
1 2 2.12 0.12
2 2 2.21 0.21
3 1 2.01 1.01
4 1 2.21 1.21
5 2 2.05 0.05
6 1 1.21 0.21
7 1 2.21 1.21
8 2 2.34 0.34
9 1 1.73 0.73
Front 13 18.09 5.09
Distance from hole Putts Expected Avg Putts Strokes Gained
10 2 1.73 -0.27
11 1 1.65 0.65
12 2 2.18 0.18
13 1 2.07 1.07
14 2 2.12 0.12
15 1 2.18 1.18
16 1 2.12 1.12
17 2 1.86 -0.14
18 2 1.65 -0.35
Back 14 17.56 3.56
Total Strokes 27
Expected Strokes 35.66
Strokes Gained 8.66

This was the day I shot 69…I picked up 8.66 shots on a comparable 8.6 hdcp player. I only hit 50% GIR that day

2 Likes

One really good use of statistics is to evaluate your game as compared to similar handicaps. If you typically gain 3.5 strokes against similar handicap players putting, somewhere along the way you lose 3.5 strokes to those same players. Wherever it is that you lose those strokes, that’s what you should work to improve.

5 Likes

100% correct. I lose those strokes on around the green…I have to improve the 35-40 yard game I lose probably 4-5 strokes a round on that specific part of my game. Worst part is, it’s always been that way. It’s technique and I fool around too much with it, even to the point I was hitting crosshanded…If I had that part of my game I would have been a better than scratch player, I’m just a better putter than most and better from 80-125 than most. The added distance is making an impact…I finished the year at 8.2 and I was a 9.2 all the way through Sept. I dropped a stroke in the final 2 months of the season based on those 8 rounds…HUGE! Here’s what I know a Tour Player gets Up & Down from 60 yds on in like 64% of the time, A similar handicap player to me is like 35%, my sad sack behind is 13.4% last year! There’s my lost shots right there! I’m worse than a 25hdcp! I score because of putting and my game is stronger from 140 to 80. (I don’t count fringe and aprons for me because I can putt those no problem)

2 Likes

I like comparing to scratch as well… usually it says that ball striking is the difference but occasionally I see some low hanging fruit like lag putts or chipping… easy skills to improve

1 Like

You can practice and improve where you lose the strokes ( 35-40 yds according to you). Or simply avoid getting into that situation if you can. Plan with your most efficient distance with approach shots.

i’ve been practicing that part of my game for 35 years…at least 100 balls a session! and when I get on the course…I get twitchy! Nothing more to say. I still practice too, but it is what it is!

1 Like

Sounds like you had met a blocking obstacle. Perhaps professional help would solve that or perhaps not.
I had found hitting the same distance with different clubs in the bag will jump start my practice and confidence. 40 yards to the pin off the green I am capable of using most the clubs in my bag to get it close, sans the driver and the 3/4 woods. Depending on the lie, favorite to use would be 8 iron, PW, depending on the contour of the green and lie.
I had never practiced one club designated for certain distance. Have a whole bag of tools, kind of silly to stick with just one tool for the job.
The quickest way for you to get out of this is to avoid firing from 35-40 yards to the pin. Layoff if 90-100 is more desirable for comfort.
Good luck to you search for the answer to the 35-40 yards pitch. It could also be the Arrow and not the Indian find the bounce and the loft to suit your game.

1 Like