Which tees at Pebble Beach?

Have a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Monterey CA planned for August. Going to play Pebble, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay. Anyone who’s been there have a recommendation on which set of tees to play? I’m a 6 handicap, average 260 with a driver. I’m thinking probably gold tees - between the three courses, it averages around 6400 yards, 73 rating, 137 slope, which is a pretty tough test compared to what I normally play. I want to get the ‘full experience’, but I don’t want to torture myself. Whites are more like 6100/71/133, but I doubt that I would find that ‘too easy’.

A couple of the guys on the trip are short-hitting and older than me, so I’m sure they’ll want to play up, as they should. I like it best when everyone’s hitting from the same tee, but I don’t have a problem playing from behind them to even things out.

2 Likes

You would probably be ok playing from 6400, but if you moved up to 6100 you may enjoy yourself more. Pebble is still going to be Pebble. Put yourself in a position to play well AND enjoy every single second on that magnificent piece of land.

Yeah, I was considering that too. I may hit a few less drivers off the tee from 6100 (but that’s my weakness anyway), but would probably have more fun and more looks at pars. Not that I am going to be concerned at all with my score.

I’d vote the 6400 tees… but I always go with the tees that are in front of the first set of tees that scare me.

1 Like

Great time of year to do it, if not quite as awesome as the weather there in September and October. You might get some fog in August. Gold tees sound easily doable for Pebble. Pebble’s a pussycat anyway if the wind isn’t up. I wasn’t very good at the time I played it, (not that I am, now) and I still had a good time. Expect the round to take forever. 6 plus hours wasn’t unusual. Everyone’s taking pictures.

Take a caddy and walk it, if you can. The greens can be challenging, though they usually save the basketball court hardness for Open time.

You’re good enough to play—and have a good time—at Spyglass. That one’s quite a bit tougher. Spanish Bay, the wind should be blowing a bit. Bring a lot of balls if you’re inaccurate. There’s a bunch of ‘Native Areas’ that are basically lateral hazards, and they’re seemingly right next to the fairway.

My restaurant knowledge of the place is 25 years out of date. Roy’s was excellent fusion food when I was there. Ordering a gazillion appetizers, and trying some of everything, was the way to go. Staying at the Inn or Lodge?

If you’ve time, and it’s something that sounds like it would interest you, the Aquarium is among or is the best in the world.

2 Likes

Any Tee box there would be fun. My advice is enjoy the scenery…rotate the tee boxes, play some up and play some back. I mean does it matter what tee box you play on #7…Enjoy!

2 Likes

Oh man, the Monterey bay aquarium is awesome…

My nephew is trying to qualify for the drive chip and putt (he made it through the local qualifier) and if he gets through round 2, round 3 is at pebble…

We will definitely meet up with my sister for that! My dad and I will golf and the kids will go to the aquarium… tons of fond memories of that place!

That’s fantastic! Good luck to your nephew.

I used to like going on school trips to pet the bat rays, (and the sea otter pelt) but the tanks they’ve added are absolutely amazing. The open ocean one is mesmerizing. Nothing but blue.

1 Like

I’ve played Spanish Bay and Spyglass. I’d suggest playing the 6,100 yd setup to make it likely more enjoyable. If you’re ‘cruising’ at 6,100, would you consider dropping back to play the occasional longer hole as challenge?

2 Likes

This. Any course I play I pick out the tees that max me out, and move up at least one.

Not in any way suggesting this is you @Bh18, but it’s so frustrating being stuck behind a group that’s clearly bitten off way more than they can chew.

I suggest going with one tee box ahead of where you normally play on your home course because of your unfamiliarity with the course. This is a rule I try to follow on every new course I play. I’ve played Pebble twice, but the second time was more than 10 years after the first so that I was no more familiar with the course than the first time I played.

No matter what you read or the videos you watch about how to play a course, you won’t know how to play it until you’ve put your game on a new course–that’s why the pros have practice rounds before a tournament. As casual amateurs, we generally don’t have that opportunity but then think we’re going to take our “A” game to an unfamiliar course. That generally results in slow play and frustration with our inability to play as well as we think we should. Given the greens fee at Pebble, that is an expensive bad day.

By the way, for a warmup round that will give you an idea of how the Pacific Ocean might affect your game, I’d suggest the back nine at Pacific Grove, the public course not far from the north gates of the 17-Mile Drive. You’ll probably have to play the front nine as well, which goes inland from the Pacific, since the course is generally very busy and the pro shop knows that most folks prefer playing the back over the front. The 10th, 17th, and 18th are somewhat protected from the winds, but the 11th through the 16th are fully exposed, a crazy fun experience (the back nine wraps around the grounds of the Point Pinos Lighthouse, deer sometimes roam the course, and fog might even roll in) and will help you adjust. Its location adjacent to the Pacific is not the Grove’s only connection to Pebble by the way–the back nine was designed by Jack Neville who was one of the original architects of Pebble Beach.

Slow play seems endemic to the area–in another thread, I detailed an excruciating experience at Spanish Bay–and although Pacific is short, not 6000 yards from the back tees, rounds can be pretty close to 5 hours.

One more suggestion: if dining times up well with your round, try the Tap Room. It’s in the Lodge, not far from Pebble’s first tee and the practice green. It’s expensive–a burger and a beer for lunch will easily hit $30–but it’s still cheaper than almost any other restaurant on the property, and it extends the Pebble experience just a little further.

3 Likes

Here is my 2 cents. I have played Pebble twice. Depending on your game and how you play. I am not a consistent driver of the ball so I played the tees that allowed me to not have to hit driver on each hole. Those were the 6400 yard tees for me. The first 6 are pretty easy holes and you had better score, if not then you will be in trouble for the next 12.

Enjoy it, get a caddy and live it up. To me it was worth every penny. Be sure to go into the clubhouse and see the lockers of past champions.

2 Likes

Gobs of memorabilia too, in The Tap Room. Signed prints by Watson of him doing that jig after he chipped in on 17 in 1982, that sort of thing. The burger really was tasty, back in the day.

There used to be—maybe there still is, but IIRC, the owner died a few years ago—a memorabilia/antique golf equipment shop in the little arcade of shops off the Lodge’s front door. Next to a putting green. Anyway, that shop cured me of the mild itch I had at the time to be a professional touring golfer. One of the items for sale was a Seve Ballesteros wedge. Used in the Open Championship or something, signed letter of authenticity, etc… It was perfectly chrome still everywhere on the club, except for an egg shaped, pitted, rusted out section about half the size of a golf ball, right in the middle. Like Tiger bouncing the ball on the clubface in that commercial much later, seeing that club gave me a giant feeling of, “You’ll never be able to do that, and doing that is one of the things it would take to make this a career.”

Still a fun game though.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Really looking forward to this!

1 Like

Just got back, so here’s my brief trip report. Short version is, it was awesome, amazing, beautiful. It was not cheap, but not as expensive as I would have thought, and I definitely want to return.
Stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay. The rooms, the restaurants, the lobby were all awesome. The service is what impressed me the most – everyone super-friendly and helpful.

As far as the golf, me and my partner played the whites, our other two older friends played the greens. Whites were between 6100-6200 yards on all three courses.

Played Spyglass the first day. Everyone warned us it was tough. Front and back nine are completely different - front is seaside with dunes and sand, and the back is tree-lined parkland course. Pretty challenging, but my game was a little off. Did make a birdie on the back and shot 88.

The second day, we played Pebble. Here I had couple great moments that I will remember forever. First tee I was really nervous - there were a bunch of people around and just the realization that I was playing this great course, my heart was pounding. But I managed a nice hybrid just short of the fairway bunkers. 8-iron to the left edge, then drained a 20-foot breaking putt for a birdie. Next hole, short par 5 from the whites, hit a pretty good drive, then pured a 7-wood from about 215 and it hits and sticks about 6 feet from the hole. I poured it in the heart for eagle! So now I’m 3 under after 2 holes on one of the most iconic courses in the world. I had no expectations of a good score going in, but at this point, I couldn’t help getting ahead of myself, and promptly went bogie, double to give it all back.
Actually the shot I’ll remember the most wasn’t even one of those. It was number 8. By then, the marine layer had rolled in and we could barely see the fairway from the tee. I could see the group in front of us off to the left by the cartpath and I knew I needed to be right of that, so I aimed down what I thought was the middle, and hit a good shot with hybrid. Got up to find it about a yard and a half from going over the cliff into the ocean. I was getting vertigo addressing my ball, I was scared of falling over the cliff. But somehow I managed to hit an awesome 7-iron from 164 yards, right in the center of the clubface and it comes down about 5-feet above the hole. I missed the putt, but that second shot was one of the purest I’ve ever hit. Really got off the rails and had a bad case of the lefts the rest of the way in and shot 85, but holes 1, 2, and 8 I will never forget.

Day 3 was Spanish Bay, we got out early and luckily got most of the round in before the wind picked up. It would have been brutal if the wind was blowing hard the whole time. After losing my swing the day before, I applied a swing thought that I’m pretty sure I picked up from Jon’s blog – pick a target, commit to making your swing and just accepting the results. The worst thing that could happen is a lost ball. My ball was turning right to left a lot more than normal this weekend, but once I starting committing to it, I was really in control of my ball, even if I had to aim out over the dunes to the right and let it draw back. Hit 12/14 fairways and shot 82. The greens were a lot more undulating and divided into segments here, but ran a little slower out of necessity.

Sorry for the long post, but I’m still on a high from this trip. Just an amazing experience.

5 Likes

Sounds like you’re in good company with Nicklaus, who is quoted as saying the 2nd on 8 is his favorite second shot in all of golf. (I’ve yanked it into the Pacific, both of the times I’ve tried it…)

It’s certainly one of the most telegenic. I’m truly envious.

What a fantastic time!

2 Likes

You brought back a lot of great memories for me. Thanks.

Yes 8 has a panic shot if you are near the ravine. I hit mine about 6 inches short of going in and I pushed it back about 4 more just so I wouldn’t fall in.

2 Likes