Where does everyone live? (Maybe we can make new golf buddies)

Is golf popular in Germany? Seems like you guys would have some amazing courses with your terrain.

It’s a bit two sided. It still has the stigma of an “Elite Sport” that’s primarily played by elder folks with lots of money. That stems from times where the clubs all charged 5-digit admission fees.

That led to younger people ignoring the game even more, and turning to other sports, primarily soccer, and the clubs saw significant decrease in memberships. Since then German Golf has tried to become more modern, and make entry easier for all people. Still, there are various restrictions like the “Platzreife” (could be translated to “course allowance”)

Basically the permission to play on a golf course here is made dependent on the attainment of the so-called Platzreife (PR) or Platzerlaubnis (PE), which must be acquired in PE courses, where the basics of the game and golf etiquette are learned. The PE is only valid for the respective golf club, another golf club does not have to recognize it. In many cases a HCP is required to play on other courses, and often it is also required that the HCP has been assigned by a specific golf association (e.g. one that is a member of the European Golf Association). Many clubs also require a minimum HCP at peak times (often -36 or better on weekends) or will only allow you to tee off as a guest of a member.

That being said, we have some very nice courses here.

My home club is GC Schloss Elkofen which has lots of up and down terrain with greens so elevated you can’t see them on some holes. Through the 18 hole round you collect quite some elevation meters.

Here’s a view from the 5th tee, with the Alps in background:

7 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for sharing… I googled famous German golfers as I was curious… workhorse Bernhard langer of course was the first result.

I’m torn on the “qualifying” to play certain courses… I do think it helps improve pace of play but can also be a hurdle to get new golfers involved.

1 Like

My pleasure :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s really different than in the US, where you can basically just go out on the course and tee off. Also we don’t have cart girls here :rofl:

We do have a couple good golfers besides Langer, mainly Martin Kaymer, who you probably know. He’s won the US Open and the PGA Championship and was the world’s #1 a couple years back. Right now, the best “German” would probably be Xander Schauffele - before you crucify me: he has a German passport, and he is officially a member of the PGA Germany. His grandpa even played Bundesliga soccer for VfB Stuttgart. Of course he’s officially American…

The area around Munich also has a couple high end courses. GC Eichenried, which is host to the annual BMW International Open, and GC Valley - a superproject of a billionaire from the town where I live, whose lifetime goal is to get the Ryder Cup to be played there.

4 Likes

Very cool. I have no problem with you claiming Xander…

It is interesting when people with tons of money build golf courses… Dallas had an amazing course built awhile back, Dallas National and the founders goal was to host a us open… as he added backers and other members, he lost his majority and none of the other members have any interest in hosting a tournament (this is all 3rd hand information)… it’s an amazing track, though. A fazio design in the middle of an old rock quarry.

Hopefully you can get access to the course when it’s done!

1 Like

That course already exists. It’s got 36 holes total, and everything is just top notch.

You can check out some facts and pics here.

1 Like

I live in Princeton. Depending on where you are on the shore, we might be able to meet up for a round in the Freehold/Colts Neck area?

1 Like

Vancouver, WA near Portland, Oregon :+1:t2:

2 Likes

New to the group.
Live in the North Suburbs of Chicago.
Public course guy, got 3 of them within walking distance of my house.

5 Likes

Welcome! I love Chicago but have never had a chance to play golf there

2 Likes

My father’s family came to the states from Speyer in the 1880’s. I really want to visit at some point and play.

3 Likes

Hey all. I am just outside of Austin, TX to the north. I frequent Crystal Falls Golf Club in Leander as it’s 3 minutes from my house.

3 Likes

Welcome. If I move to the Austin suburbs I’ll look you up.

1 Like

I loved Austin when I was there (grew up in Dallas).

It’s changed a ton! I haven’t been back since the first P. Terry’s opened.

1 Like

Chicago - live in the city but play up in the north burbs.

Near Butler PA, north of Pittsburgh.

My Dad grew up in Butler. I just took him there a few years ago to a Steelers game. It was his first time back in 57 years. Pretty neat getting to see his childhood home and school, which in now apartments. Also where his Dad used to own an alterations shop, which is now a tattoo shop.

My parents live in Portland. Maybe we can meet up for some golf next time I’m back there.
What are your favorite courses to play?

1 Like

Yeah, that’d be awesome.

I’ve only played a few par 3 courses so far (just started playing in 2020). I’ve played at Pine Crest in Vancouver, WA, Colwood in Portland, and Sah-Hah-Lee in Clackamas.

I’ve only played the front nine at Sah-Hah-Lee (and only one time), but they have a full 18 and I’d love to play there again. But Colwood and Pine Crest are nice courses too, IMO.

I’m planning to play my first full course in spring/summer 2021. Just need to learn to use my driver. I’ll probably check out Camas Meadows first since that’s where I get coached. But I’m open to trying anything.

I’m in the South Hills section of the ‘burg in Whitehall.