What you’d like to see in Marshals and on-course amenities

Yeah, if Marshall’s start selling beverages, this whole thread goes a different direction. Not that that’s a bad thing, mind you.

1 Like

More beverages less marshalls?

Could be on to something

Well, papa, golf, or at least “our” golf is meant to be enjoyed, eh?

1 Like

Somehow I don’t think our marshals would have the same level of sales as our current on-course beverage staff…

:rofl:
I see what you did there

I just know that if our demographic is choosing to buy a beverage from me or one of our bev cart attendants…I’m gonna have a lot of warm inventory at the end of the day! :laughing:

I really like this idea! We have the mini flags on the sticks that are intended to show front/middle/back, but they’re only marginally effective IMO.

Here’s an example, although I think 6 pin locations is a bit much. 4 or 5 should be adequate.

For me, it speeds things up a bit. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Yep, Fraser, I’ve seen these and really like them! I wonder how many people use them, notice them, or don’t care.

I’m meeting with our Director of Golf later this week and am going to push for these. The cost would be minimal.

2 Likes

Daily pin location is listed in pro shop. “Ennead” keeps play on an area of green to slightly more than 3 times a month.

green.1

I’ve done the 5-7 hole locations and one club just divided the green into 3rds and had 1 / 2 / 3. Both are fine!

Current club has different flag colors for front, middle and back (Red, white, yellow)… we also have pink pins for Ladies day… I’m not really sure on that one.

Honestly, I just want us to have water on the course again.

1 Like

Anything more than front-middle-back is cutting it too fine for my game.

2 Likes

A quick update on our initiatives after speaking with the Director:

• He liked the idea of PoP times on the scorecards; we’re putting them on the scorecards we print for leagues. Unfortunately, we just ordered a bunch of new cards so it’ll be awhile before we can incorporate this fully.

• We’re adding PoP clocks to the course. It’s not a silver bullet, but one tool to help us manage pace.

• We’re adding pin placement cards effective immediately, along with an easel sign for #1 tee box.

• No water on the course anytime soon. We added a water station at the turn, and encourage golfers to fill up.

• GPS tracking system remains on the radar. No decisions yet, but ownership is still open to the idea. One of the selling points will be the potential for two-way communication, including with the Grill.

• No discussion yet on a divot sand station on the course. We get lots of empty bottles on the carts, so golfers are using it. I’m asking the PAs to put a few bottles on their carts when they go out.

I truly appreciate everyone’s input; please keep suggestions coming! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Looks like nice, broad based steps.

FWIW, I’m used to playing “waterless” courses. By the time I make the turn, I’ve gone through a bottle of water, so an at-the-turn watering station may very well work for you.

Good luck!

We let golfers know at check in to fill up at the station and top up at the turn. We introduced this last year due to covid; it took a while for folks to become accustomed to it, but it seems to work pretty well now.

I’ve had to backtrack on the pin placement cards. The super wants the flexibility to use a different zone for a particular hole if the stipulated zone is a bit beaten up. He did commit to new mini-flags and increased attention to their proper placement.

1 Like

That’s sort of the idea, to keep rotating the zones. Each hole should have its own unique zoning and sequence, giving each zone a 4, 5 day or even a week’s rest.
As a side benefit, there’s less confusion for greens-keeping staff in setting the pins for the day.

That’s what the maintenance staff do @Fraser; I didn’t explain their rationale very well.

Let’s say zones 5 and 6 are front left and right, respectively. Today’s the day for zone 5, but that area of #12 green is a bit chewed up. They want the option to use zone 6 for that hole during this rotation. Their concern is posting zone 5 and having one or more holes in a different zone - resulting in customer complaints.

Yeah, I think that’s the benefit of a three zone system… it allows the flexibility of moving the pins out of “down” locations…

1 Like

Watching NPG 74 gave me an interesting thought/question. Do the marshal’s need a decibel meter for the folks blaring music?

Absolutely not! When I hear music from two fairways over the number on the decibel meter is irrelevant! :rofl:

This is a fine line to walk. I don’t mind if my partners want some tunes; I also know some people can’t stand it. We’re striving for a round to be enjoyable for everyone, and that means we’ll have trouble pleasing everyone.

If my team gets a complaint or thinks it’s over the top loud, we’ll often invoke the residents along the course. “I appreciate that you enjoy some music on the course, but could you do me a favor and turn it down a little? We need to be considerate of our neighbors along the course.”

3 Likes