What would be your non-putter putter?

Watching Si-Woo Kim two-putt par with a fairway metal (after snapping his putter the previous hole) has me wondering what I would putt with if I found myself in a similar situation. Naturally, I don’t think I would snap my putter in anger, but I’ll pretend wild dog stole it or something.
I can’t belly a wedge for the life of me, so I think I would be choking down on my 19* hybrid.

2 Likes

Imagine being 3 back in a major, looking at a 25 foot straight uphill putt for birdie, and being so mad you break quite possibly the most important club in your bag on this course right before very birdiable (not a word) holes.

That being said, I’m going SW the rest of the way.

1 Like

I’ve had a little success with a SW the couple times I’ve played around with it, but I also think I’d be using my 19* hybrid as well.

1 Like

Bellied sand wedge. I used to do this as a drill to help my putting.

I still can’t believe he did that in such a pivotal stretch of the tournament. I’m going SW all day.

1 Like

He needs to read the practical golf article about expectations!!

You should do an article on it!

I wonder what the advantages of each are… I’ve done wedge and hybrid… I think I’d be more comfortable with hybrid for longer putts.

2 Likes

Hybrid all day long!

1 Like

Circling back to Si-Woo. Yes, it was incredibly stupid to break his putter with three holes to go and on the first page of the leaderboard. Still, knowing that he did it, that it would be on TV, and that he’d be getting tons of attention, he hit every fairway and green coming in and made the pars routine putting with a 3-wood. That’s an impressive mental turnaround.

1 Like

Considering I lost all focus when my driver broke, you are definitely right…

I’m convinced my next stage of improvement is going to come from a better mental game.

Haha I don’t know if I want to do the “what you should putt with when you destroy your putter” post, might be a little counterintuitive :joy::joy::see_no_evil:

2 Likes

How about

“5 reasons you should be putting with a 3 wood”

Or

“The secret 3 wood putting technique that CHANGED my game”

2 Likes

I had an instructor years ago that had me practice the bump and run with 7i, 5i, and hybrid. Hybrid is definitely the choice for those 100-footers; I didn’t have to hit it hard to get across the green so it was easier to keep on line. The 7i is still my preferred option, but I’ll pull out the hybrid for longer shots or if I’ve got thicker fringe/rough to navigate.

Personally, I’d never subject Thunder to my inadequacy :heart_eyes:

Bellied SW seems to do the trick

Honestly, it’s like asking “What farm animal would you frolic in the yard with if you happened to have killed your dog?”

Played in a 3 club event a few years ago. My 3 clubs were driver, 7 iron and SW. Started out putting with SW but switched to driver and had more success.

2 Likes

Attended a clinic from Monte Scheinblum (world long drive champ) recently and his preferred technique is 3W, not hybrid - he says it’s easier to catch the ball cleanly.

You grip it near the top with your regular putting grip, stand a little taller and give it an even, gentle stroke.

He had us try this from a tight fairway going up a slope to the green … needs some practice to get the effort / speed right but it really works!

1 Like