What’s better worth?

So my wife has greenlit the purchase of new clubs… I’m looking at a variety of options and I’m struggling… i haven’t hit any of these options yet s, but here’s what I know:

1. I need to buy new clubs, in general… my current set is hobbled together from shaft pulls and used iron heads. It’s fine! But they don’t have my preferred shaft and I need clubs built to my specs… 3/4 long, 2 degree up with s400s might be findable used, but it’s probably easier to go new.
  2. I like the people at sub70. Great service, great prices… I can likely get out the door with them for half what a different brand would run me. (I’m aware of other dtc options, but don’t have a relationship with those companies… if there is one I have to check out, feel free to let me know)
  3. Overall, I like the feel of my CMBs and always have… I bought the heads used because I had dreamed of owning a set… it’s been a fun 18 months with them, but I’m eyeing the next set now….
  4. I think my preferred iron is basically the cmb build… cavity back with tungsten in the toe… it’s a fairly popular design… I really like the looks of the new copper cobras… I can also get the Taylor mades for 10% off… this assumes availability!

I’ve never actually pulled the trigger on a new set of irons… I’m partially leaning towards sub70 just because I have a 699 4 iron and a 639 5 iron and get along with both of them… I’d likely order the 699 pro for my 5-6 iron and then 7-gw would be cavity back and maybe blades / muscle backs in the pitching wedge and gap wedge.

Golf headquarters in Louisville has a big tour 13 degree in route for me to try, so I’ll likely talk to Greg about irons while I’m there…

I’m just not sure how much better the oem stuff needs to be for it to be “worth” the money…

1 Like

My thinking is you want a club that performs. I’ve been playing Sub70 wedges for 2 years and can confirm they perform.

I honestly don’t believe you can go wrong with Sub70, and you’ll likely get them this year.

PXG has some smoking deals right now and quick turnaround time, but not sure you’d really see that big of a difference in performance to justify the added cost.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have 5 sub70 clubs in the bag right now… I just don’t want the 699 pros for 7-GW but wouldn’t mind some more forgiveness than the 639 cb offers… I’m toying around with ideas for their stuff.

I’m hopefully hitting some of the oem stuff this week, so we will see what works…

My first priority is to actually get clubs built to my specs, something I’ve never had…

2 Likes

I’m sure you could take a trip to Sycamore, IL to try out the Sub70 stuff.

Out of curiosity, why don’t you want 699 pros?

2 Likes

Honestly, I don’t have a great reason… maybe I should just go 699 all the way through… I love my 699 4 iron… I can probably swap out the higher stuff for the 639 if the 699s don’t work

2 Likes

I know if I go with Sub70 for my next set I’ll be going 699 pros.

I’m interested in PXG and the new Titleist irons as well. Excited to hear what you try out.

2 Likes

As of right now, I’m supposed to have a Taylor made fitting on Wednesday… then my local golf store is bringing in a big tour 13 degree I want to try, so I’ll likely hit the cobras and the srixons while Im there…

The cost difference between oem and sub70 is a pretty major hurdle… honestly, I could get the 699 7-gw and 639 7-gw for the same price as one set of oem irons.

2 Likes

Sub70 followed up (I love them) and basically told me the gapping issues with the 699 / 639 set is constantly an issue. My 699 4 iron goes 16 yards past my sub70 5 iron… and i don’t need to add 5 yards to my irons…

I’m not sure what my plan on the sub70 front will be… I’m finding out pricing and availability… I’ll check out the oems this week and figure out what I want to do.

3 Likes

$470 for the 639 Cavity backs… with the shaft and grips i want (i think…) and everything is in stock… I don’t know what my plan is still… need to go collect some data.

3 Likes

Just hit Taylor Mades… He suggested I wait for the new clubs, and suggested the 790s and C-Taper Xs…

Hopefully get some hits in on Srixon at the club on Tuesday.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s a steal! @golfingbrock has the CBs so he can tell you all about them.

1 Like

Yep, I got my 639 CB’s last year off the pre-owned page (they were basically new) for around $470. I’ve always played standard loft/lie, and in the past few years I had added an inch extension to my lower irons as an experiment and generally liked it. The set I found were Modus 120 x shafts with + .5" long, which matched pretty closely to my rifle 6.0 shafts in my previous set.

I’ve had them just over a year now and I love them.

2 Likes

I’ve heard the 790’s may not be available until Sept. I recently tried to order a 790 4i to go with my 770 set and was told the 790’s were pretty much sold out.

1 Like

I’m not in the market for irons right now…love my Mizuno’s…but I sure wish @Sub70_Jay had more of a selection for lefties. The 699 and 699pro black look so good. Also intrigued by the 639CB, but would want to hit them both to see which offered better forgiveness and feel for a 12 handicapper like me. This will be my first stop once I start looking for irons in a next set.

2 Likes

Yeah, Sub70 is awesome… I just don’t want the 699s because I worry they will create weird gaps at the bottom of my bag by going to far, and want a little more forgiveness than offered by the 639CBs…

I’m now looking at the C-Taper X flex, so it looks like Sub70 would run me $777, which is still cheaper than other options. They are my back up plan (no offense, Jay, still love the clubs I have from you guys!)

Scheduled a Srixon fitting for Tuesday, and I’m VERY excited about it… I’m hoping I can sneak over to Golf Headquarters this weekend and hit some random stuff on the side… I want to try the Cobras at least… Callaway and Titleist clubs as well…

Going to be interesting to see if I can actually internalize my swing changes if it will change my ball flight enough to matter (I’m always seeking lower flight, due to my swing)… I’m definitely excited to get into heavier shafts.

1 Like

Craigers, check out the Sub70 649’s….they are an easy to hit “muscle back.”
I got them this year (6-people) and it completely changed my iron game.

Good luck with the fitting. Love the v sole on the Srixon irons.

3 Likes

I’m worried they are a little to “good” for my swing… I’ve always played cavity backs… sub70 is definitely on the list, though.

1 Like

I was worried about the same thing and just went for it…no regrets

1 Like

I have had my eye on those! They look a bit like an older Mizuno model that was sort of an “oversize” blade that I remember liking. I’m a lousy golfer, but I do hit my 6-P decently and I’ve played blades in the past without it affecting my score.

2 Likes