What putting grip do you use?

I don’t remember that they said that specifically, at the time they cited a policy not to reveal details or reasoning of the decisions. But looking at that putter, and his use of it, he was using it pretty much vertically.

They deemed his putter was non-conforming.

If you get hollaway, let me know how you like it. I originally discounted the hollaway when i found it through googling because the website is pretty janky but it has come up more recently on other forums as a pretty high quality product from a small family business.

1 Like

Went from cross handed 10 finger to 10 finger “regular” and now overlap (right pinky in the crease between my left index and middle finger).

What really helped my putting was the sensation of keeping my upper arms glued to the side of my chest and rotating around my spine.

Good luck!

Will keep you posted. I contacted them as well with the same concerns and the person/owner was very responsive via email.

1 Like

The equipment ruling leaves open the question that if Bryson had taken a conforming putter and manipulated it grip it vertically, would that have been illegal? Unless one or many pros start having success with it forcing the rules bodies to answer the question, it’ll stay a gray area.
Even with the more traditional stance, Bryson’s putter is still at the maximum 80 degree lie angle and just visually I THINK he holds it even more upright, but not to such an extent that anyone has tried to call him on it that I know of.

This rule doesn’t tell you how to swing the club, only defines specific requirements of the club. He’s perfectly within the rules to stand the putter on its toe, other’s have done the same, although not with a putter as upright as the one Bryson uses. A club may have only one face intended to strike the ball (other than some dual-faced putters), but you are free to use the back side of the club to hit the ball if you choose. The only restrictions that I know of are on anchoring a club to the body, and on standing astride the intended line of play.

Yep, you need to have both feet on one side of the target line and for anchoring, you can’t anchor the club to your body or anchor your forearm to your body.

I find it highly unlikely they will make side saddle putting illegal-- at its core it’s just striking the ball with a very wide open stance and pros do it all the time for tap ins.

I do however think some putters designed for side saddle putting are very close to being non conforming especially if you start futzing around with lead tape to shift the sweet spot to hold it directly upright.

Off topic a little but I also found out you can’t have split grip on a putter that has a flat side; it must be round. Who knew?

1 Like