Wedges - How Many Do You Carry?

I’m interested in finding out how yall relate to your wedges.
So, how many do YOU carry?

Thanks!
Perdido B.

1 Like

This is going to shock you, but I’ve overthought this topic!

I currently carry 4 wedges, 2 set wedges and 2 “specialty wedges”…

Here’s my overall thought breakdown:

Specialty Wedge #1: 58 degree low bounce wedge… this is for around the green use, though I’ll occassionally use it for 50-60 yard pitches. It’s job is basically to get the ball up quickly off any surface. No real finesse with this club, I can open it up if needed, but rarely do that anymore. It’s mostly just a straight up, straight through, get the ball on the green club.

Specialty Wedge #2: 53 degree 12 degree bounce wedge. This is my all around club. Out of the rough, short bump and runs, 100 yards in pitching club… If I’m thinking “oh, I need a wedge” I grab the 54. It’s basically my default wedge around the green and on pitch shots under 100 yards.

Set Wedge #1: Gap Wedge. This one compliments the 54. It’s for anything 100-130 yards, and I’ll use it for a longer bump and run if necessary. Mostly 3/4 swings, but will occasionally get hit full… really only when I need more loft than

Set Wedge #2: Pitching Wedge. This goes about 140 with a full swing. I will use it for anything from 140 to 120, but it’s MOSTLY just a 10 iron. I don’t use it around the green at all, but might need to reconsider… it’s probably the least hit of the 4.

So 58 is my trouble club… if I just need to get up and over, it’s my go to… If I want a pitch shot to hit and drop, I’ll use it there too. 54 is my workhorse from 100 yards and in. 50 gap wedge is my “setup up” club to get me on the green from distances I can’t cover with my 54. 46 PW is a glorified 10 iron.

3 Likes

What do you use for sand? Do you carry an actual sand wedge?

1 Like

I carry a 60, 54, 50, 46, & 42. Each with different grinds (M or S, but I grind on my own) AND degrees of bounce. My 60 has a 10, the 54 has a 12, the 50 has a 10, the other 2 are 8’s. In layman’s terms that’s an LW, SW, GW, PW and 9iron…I have used them all out of a bunkers depending on the lie and sand. I’ve used them all except the 60 off a tee, and all from the fairway or ruff depending on the lie. I have always been very particular about those clubs and consider my use of them the strength of my game. I was taught very early on…wanna score… better have a solid Wedge (scoring club) game. I used to spend 2 hours every other day hitting buckets, thousands upon thousands of balls with them as I learned this game. My Wedges are all Cleveland CG12 Black Pearls, Jumbo Grips and TT DG U100 shafts. So why these clubs? I don’t like to have alot of backspin to the point where I’m sucking the ball back 15 ft. I had wedges that did that and I was too inconsistent. I pretty much like to have check on short pitches, and enough spin to drop and stop within 4-8 ft from where the ball lands on the green, if that makes any sense. That’s kind of how precise I am with those clubs, that everyone bitches about at me…The pic is so folks can understand what I was taught about what Grinds mean.

1 Like

I’m the same as Craigers. Set matching PW & GW and then 54 and 58 degree wedges. My wedges are CBX2 because I like the extra forgiveness. For years I carried set wedges all the way through LW, but very few companies make set wedge LW anymore.

3 Likes

54 is the default sand wedge, 58 is for hard pan or wet sand.

1 Like

This is the way. (for all my Mando fans)

3 Likes

I too have a set matching PW and GW (45* and 50*), then a CBX2 56* SW, 52* Vokey, 60* Vokey. Though I never use the 52…so it’s coming out…and the 60 is only for the rare flop shot or thick rough/quicker stop around the green. I never swing a full 56 or 60 (no confidence)…and prefer to bump an 8, 9, PW, or GW around the green and let it run a bit.

1 Like

You build confidence with repetitions and lots of them. Get a net…you can get a cheap one for $60 and buy a cheap mat. Then just bash you brains in doing the 9-3 drill with specific scoring clubs. Small steps will lead to big leaps. BUT ya gotta devote the time to simple things. All you’re doing is ingraining contact point with the ball. Foot spray on the club face starts to give you the answer you seek!

2 Likes

Funny you should mention it… One of my favorite golf pastimes is lob wedging into a bucket in the back yard. I started off at about five feet away, and after a couple hundred balls, moved back a couple of feet and repeated. The idea was to be able to reliably put golf balls into the bucket. Then I moved back another couple of feet. Well, you get the idea. Best short game exercise ever!

3 Likes

That’s exactly the same (well I have a high bounce 54 instead of 53). Works out well for me

1 Like

I have the PW that matches my iron set; I think it’s 46. I also have 52, 56 and 60.

I use the 60 for nearly everything inside of 80 yards. Most of our greens are relatively small so it’s rare if you’re bumping and running something a long ways. In the past I’ve only liked a 60 from bunkers, but I love this one from almost anywhere. It’s a Callaway MD5 W Grind Low Bounce. The other wedges are MD5 S Grind

2 Likes

I guess 4:
PW: 44 degrees
Gap Wedge: 48 degrees
Sand Wedge: 54 degrees
Lob Wedge: 58 degrees

3 Likes

So far, three.

PW Ping G10, 46 degrees
AW (I forget, but it’s got a bronzed scoring face), 52 degrees 10 bounce.
SW Cleveland 588 Cu. 56 degrees, 14 bounce. Yes, I frequently blade the $*&t out of it.

All Goodwill, and the like, specials. The PW was free, along with this iron set (Ping i3+). I was moving out of my old apartment, and was frequently throwing things out. On one of my multitudinous trips to the dumpster, I saw that someone had tossed a bunch of golf clubs out, specifically the 3-9 irons and PW. I looked around to see if someone left them there by accident, left a note, nothing. Moved out shortly thereafter. Pissed off significant other? Who knows.

Ironically, (sorry for the pun), the Black Dot on the Ping irons is what I should be fitted for, according to their chart. Not surprisingly, the gapping is proving to be not ideal, per the launch monitor. PW & 9I are pretty close to the same ball speed, as are the AW and SW. Haven’t found a 60 I like, or I’d dump the 9I and put a 60 in.

Work in progress, and when I start taking lessons, I’ll likely find something else more concerning. So it goes.

1 Like

SM8-46
RTX4- 50
Hi-Toe-54
Callaway PM grind-58

1 Like

Looks like I carry more than most but my yardages break down in about 10 yards increments with full swings until I get under 80 yards.
PW
AW
GW

2 Likes

That’s cool! Do you still carry a nine iron?

Yes. 9iron through 6 iron, 4hybrid, 3 hybrid, 3 wood and driver.

1 Like

Vokey wedges all. 50, 54, 58 with the 54 my primary chip/pitch club. 58 use when I need height or out of bunkers. 50 doesn’t get used much. Occasionally if a need to run it a bit more but I probably would not miss it if I took it out of the bag. I do have the iron set PW but that is used like a regular club for distance needed. I do not chip or pitch with it. Before the Vokeys I had Clevelands and I like them also. Actually I like both brands and will whatever strikes my fancy when replacement time comes. I replace the 54 every 2 years since it is the workhorse.

2 Likes

I had the same setup and went back to the set 50, as I was using it more on full shots… I’m happy with the change.

I think the 50 is a weird slot club wise, as it’s not going to be a great full swing club regardless but I prefer the loft of the 54 for short pitch shots… I don’t know, maybe I should figure out how to hit the low spinner with it?

1 Like