Walk it backwards

My club like others is closed on xmas. Want a fun exercise, walk your course backwards. Literally.

Start at 18 green and go in reverse. Take in every nuance and subtlety on the green. Varying rough and potential lies. Visualize different approach shots for various pins. How chips and pitches will play, release. Note any varying slopes. Take in any hazards, trees, forced carries, up/down hill lies. Gauge your shot pattern. Literally take notes while your doing it, especially if you have a yardage book. And bring your rangefinder. Bonus if its raining because you’ll see how the greens drain.

4 Likes

I walk my dog on the course (and got yelled at for it)… but it’s really helpful on some holes!

One of my biggest takeaways was looking at the landing area on a par five and seeing where I have the most room.

1 Like

Print out google earth images if you don’t have a yardage book!

I’ve also been known to walk 9 with no pins :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Pretty interesting idea! I know to try to plan your strategy from the hole backwards, but hadn’t thought of physically walking s course in reverse.

As an aside, this is how slalom ski racers prepare - they walk the run from the bottom to the top, memorizing the gates, turns and slope / contours between.

1 Like

Scott Fawcett actually talks about this on their last podcast… (though he says you can do better with just satellite images)… I think it has a ton of value from a perspective standpoint… Not necessarily to “find the right angles” but more to see how the course looks the other direction…

2 Likes

I thought he was advocating against it (walking it backwards)

He wasn’t advocating for it… I don’t think he’s against it, just thinks the satellite imagery is significantly better.

1 Like

I’m a Decade member and haven’t listened to it yet but Earth isn’t going to pickup nuances on and around the green, bunkers, etc. Its an organic approach. Idea came from Shaun Micheel’s caddie. We were chatting in an equipment truck a couple years ago on a Monday.

1 Like